Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

Introducing myself and excited to be here!
Author
Message
kdlizcole
Noted Member
Joined: 19 Jul 2008
Posts: 34
Situation: Bentonville, Arkansas
Sat Jul 19, 2008 1: 44 pm    Post subject: Introducing myself and excited to be here!
My name is Katie. I am currently 132 lbs and want to be around 120. I did atkins several years ago and started at the same weight ( minus two kids ) and got down to 117 in about 4 months. I did not work out at all when I did atkins before but I am now in the gym everyday doing at least 30 - 45 min. cardio ( either running or doing a spinning class ) and I also lift weights.
I started back on atkins on Wednesday July 16th after going on vacation and cunsuming so many bad foods that it left me feeling ill every night and also gaining 4 lbs in a week and a half. I did a pretty intense low cal diet at the first of the year and was on it for 12 weeks. It didn ' t work that well for me... left me craving things all the time. So I thought that I would give atkins a try again... even after square deal all the bad things about it.
My meals throughout the day append:
Breakfast: two slices of bacon, two eggs scrambled with one ounce cheese
Snack: hard boiled egg and a piece of cheese
Lunch: hard boiled egg, about an ounce of cheese, cup and a half of green leaf lettuce, two slices of summer sausage, about 3 - 4 tsp of homemade ranch dressing ( made with mayo and lowfat buttermilk )
Dinner: any lean meat cooked on the grill with green leaf lettuce
I drink about 70 ounces of water a day. Oh and I allow one strip of extra sugar free gum a day... just to get the nasty breath off after eating eggs and salad!
I do have a few questions...
I have not had any weight loss yet and it has been 4 days, when will I know that my body is in ketosis ( without buying the strips )? My cravings have gone away for the most part ( I fix pancakes almost every morning for my kids and I don ' t crave it all! )
My legs started cramping while running yesterday, I went and bought some potassium supplements yesterday and will be taking 3 99mg pills a day. Has anyone had any bad experiences with cramping and what have you done to boost your potassium?
And.... anyone take b - circuitous? I heard that was supposed to boost your metabolism?
I think I am constipated from all the cheese... what should I do about that?
I am looking forward to getting to know all of you... I need some support since most of my friends think this is an unhealthy diet.
Katie Cole
Bentonville, Arkansas USA
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Stage: Wisconsin
Sun Jul 20, 2008 6: 23 am    Post subject:
Doesnt the low fat buttermilk have carbs, out of curiousity.....
As far as potassium, i eat spinach at dinner time after my gym workout, it has a high potassium level. Cauliflower also does, as do mushrooms. Couple that with some beef, chicken, or salmon and you have it covered.
Over the counter potassium supplements are a joke. It ' s like putting a penny in a jar when the jar is meant to be capital for a house. The body wants about 2000 to 4000 mg of potassium a day, so giving it 300 isn ' t really making a giant notch there.
The cramping may be more of a symptom of not enough water.
Also I hate to say it, but my friends thought it was a bad diet as well.
If they aren ' t trained as nutritionists, can i just say a bit indelicately the same thing I said to them???
" What in the fizzuck makes you think you have any qualifications to tell me what is or is not healthy, nutrition wise. You ' re a fracking arc welder. Do they train you a lot on cardio vascular health in arc welding class? No...? Then shut up. "
People ' s opinions means jack in this world. The only thing that matters at the end of the day is results.
Once upon a time I was 325 lbs and I couldn ' t climb stairs.
Now I run 17 miles a day, I can bench press 325 lbs, my resting heart rate is identical to that of a triathlete, and my friends that said i would die are bemoaning their physicals, while mine are absolutely perfect.
Let me be clear on that. I am absolutely spot on directly smack dab perfectly in the absolute best zone you can possibly be in for cholesterol and all other tests.
Studies have shown that Atkins HELPS with heart health. Its not the diet ' s fault that people ' s standard conventional beliefs stemming from an uninformed arbitrary opinion go against that.
Just tell your friends to read up or stuff it. That ' s what I did.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Sun Jul 20, 2008 10: 01 am    Post subject:
Hi Katie... welcome and good luck! Don ' t worry about having just a few pounds to lose. You and I are about the same right now. I weighed 133 this morning and want to see 118 - 120 again. I ' ve lost a little over 10# to get here, though. lol You did low cal for 12 weeks??? You can EASILY do THIS for life, gf!! LOL [ / icon_wink. gif]
As for the " bad things " you ' ve heard... fa ' getabout ' em. If you ' re really concerned, watch this webcast. http: / / webcast. berkeley. edu / event_details. php? webcastid=21216 It ' s by Gary Raubes and about real research on low carbing, how it got dismissed / overlooked in the 30 ' s and 40 ' s and how we ended up with the belief that eating low fat was healthy and would help / prevent heart disease. It ' s an eye opener. Another option would be to read Gary Taubes book, Good Calories Bad Calories. Do either of these and you won ' t doubt that low carbing is not only HEALTHY for your body, it WORKS. Then it won ' t matter what other people say... and their arguments will sound comical.
HTH,
Tril
kdlizcole
Established Member
Joined: 19 Jul 2008
Posts: 34
Location: Bentonville, Arkansas
Sun Jul 20, 2008 1: 27 pm    Post subject:
Kyp -
I have been reading some of your posts and also saw your before and after pics... what an amazing feat you have made! WOW!! Seems like you would qualify for one of those weight loss shows on TLC or something!
You are so correct about not knowing squat about this diet until you have done the research. I was the same way and thought that this was an unhealthy way to lose weight, that the weight comes off way too fast and that there is no way that the results will stay around. When I did atkins before, I don ' t ever remember feeling like I was being deprived of anything like I did when I was on the low - cal diet. Plus, once I got the weight off I kept it off for over a year until I got pregnant and then was able to get my baby weight off quickly afterwards. I think this diet is amazing how your body does all the work for you! All you have to do is eat!!
I do work out everyday myself but nothing near what you are doing... good grief!! I only run about a mile and a half a day ( trying to up that by half a mile every week ). But I also do a spinning class two times a week and do weight training.
My mom is on this diet as well but mainly to get her cholesteral down.
Oh and there are 12 grams of carbs in one cup of low fat buttermilk and it usually lasts me a whole week so there is about 1. 5 grams of carbs in each ounce and I probably eat about an ounce a day. I may have to try whipping cream next time just to see if there would be a difference.
Thanks for the advice on the pottasium... I went from eating two bananas a day to none so I am sure my body is in a little shock, and I will up my water!
kdlizcole
Established Member
Joined: 19 Jul 2008
Posts: 34
Location: Bentonville, Arkansas
Sun Jul 20, 2008 1: 28 pm    Post subject:
Tril -
Thanks for that site... good to always get new info on this plan. I am looking forward to seeing the reults and getting looser pants!!

No comments: