Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

Going back on induction to test a product for people.
Author
Message
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Stage: Wisconsin
Sun Jul 20, 2008 6: 27 pm    Post subject: Going back on induction to test a product for people.
I found a retailer near me that sells those ChocoPerfection bars, so I bought two milk chocolate and 2 dark chocolate.
I ' m gonna eat them this week and see what happens to my ketosis.
They claim that this new Oligofructose is a fiber and that consequently they can subtract all of its grams as dietary fiber, but its a fiber sweetener and I ' m just not sure.
We ' ll see. I ' m enthusiastic to yielding myself to test for you guys... see how kind I am?
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Longitude: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Sun Jul 20, 2008 7: 43 pm    Post subject:
I dunno... don ' t do it for ME, Kyp... anything with the word " fructose " in it is off limits as far as I ' m concerned. They ' re equating fructose and trans fats as being equally bad for you.
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Bearings: Wisconsin
Sun Jul 20, 2008 7: 52 pm    Post subject:
I dont trust it either but its supposedly some new fancy pants fructose thats low glycemic load from chicory root.
We ' ll see.
It ' s probably better for people than the atkins bars and people are eating those here, so if i can give them a better alternative, then that would be a good thing.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Direction: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Sun Jul 20, 2008 8: 00 pm    Post subject:
Very true. [ / icon_smile. gif]
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Situation: Wisconsin
Mon Jul 21, 2008 1: 47 am    Post subject:
Well... it definitely tastes damn fine. I ate half a dark chocolate one and half a milk chocolate one for 200 cals and 16 carbs, minus 14 carbs of their " fiber " which also happens to be their sweetener, this oligofructose.
We ' ll see.
Bliss Pirate
Senior Member
Joined: 06 Jan 2004
Posts: 3106
Spot: St. Paul, MN
Mon Jul 21, 2008 2: 55 am    Post subject:
Do the calories add up? Meaning - fiber does not fit any calories - so all 200 calories should be responsible to fat, protein and the few carbs they claim.
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Post: Wisconsin
Mon Jul 21, 2008 3: 37 am    Post subject:
Yeah the calories add up but I ' ve got a buffer, I ' m just looking to see gastrointestinal effect and what kind of ketosis effect they have.
THe claim is that this oligofructuse is the fiber as WELL as the sweetener, so they ' re at last subtracting the carbs from the item thats giving the carbs, which is standard for fiber, but considering this fiber is the sweetener as well, I ' m doubtful on it.
On the OTHER hand, if it ends up not being ketosis unfriendly, tomato literally sells bags of this oligofructose stuff as a sugar replacement for cooking.
So... we will see.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Where: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Mon Jul 21, 2008 11: 47 am    Post subject:
Kyp... you might enjoy reading this article from the Journal of Nutrition:
http: / / jn. nutrition. org / cgi / content / full / 129 / 7 / 1424S
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Mon Jul 21, 2008 2: 53 pm    Post subject:
Well reading that it sounds as if her claims are kind of accurate. It may not be dietary fiber in the sense of helping regularity very much but it would appear that you can count the fibers against the carb count... at least maybe 3 / 4 of em..
I never subtract the fiber 1 to 1 anyway, im a skeptic at heart.
stephani501
Established Member
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Posts: 133
Location: Seattle, Washington
Mon Jul 21, 2008 7: 47 pm    Post subject:
is this something she sells nationally?
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Mon Jul 21, 2008 8: 47 pm    Post subject:
Oligofructose is also known as FOS and inulin. Look on ingredients lists for it... it ' s in things like salad dressing and yogurts. It ' s been around since the 1980 ' s. Inulin is a fiber known as a fructan. One source of Oligofructose is inulin. The other source is sacchralose, i. e. table sugar.
It ' s being used as a fiberous sweetener here and a health supplement in Japan. It ' s not digested, but it is fermented in the large intestine. Good bacteria feed off it, so it ' s not bad for you. As long as you have good bacteria, that is. [ / icon_wink. gif] It ' s also supposed to improve calcium absorbtion by lowering the pH in the gut!
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Tue Jul 22, 2008 3: 11 pm    Post subject:
Ok I have to give the review after 2 days now.. I ate em on sunday.
I have been increasing my food intake as well, so it may be that but...
I ' m still in ketosis, just not as high a level, which people remind me does not matter.
As far as the bars go, I detected no gastroinstestinal issues, and they are really, really really damn good.
I even went and bought two more and fed them to non low carbers who didn ' t know, I lied and told them it was gourmet chocolate, and they emailed me to find out where it comes from.
So i dunno, it may make people go for cravings, but yeah initially they seem ok. I picked up 4 more, gonna eat 8 this week and see if I still have weight loss.
http: / / www. lowcarbspecialties. com / is the website, you can order there, OR
OR.... and I say or because it was actually cheaper for me to do it this way, you can call them and ask them where a vendor is near you. The bars were actually cheaper for me to get from a local vendor in my town.

No comments: