Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

Dry mouth, sinuses, back of throat, etc....
Author
Message
naescyra
New Member
Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 17
Coadunate Jun 25, 2008 10: 53 am    Post subject: Dry mouth, sinuses, back of throat, etc....
I woke up early this morning paniced. My mouth was dry and the the back of my throat felt swollen, dry, and sticky. It was very uncomfatable and uncomfortable. I drank some water and it seemed to help for a bit. I " cheated " a bit and drank a small glass of milk happy that might help. Both of those helped but I still felt like something in the back of my throat, maybe my uvula or adenoids, hurt when I swallow and when I talk I sound different. I have no fever or other symptoms that would indicate strep or other infections either.
I drink tons of water, so I cant be dehydrated.
Any Ideas?
naescyra
New Member
Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 17
Associate Jun 25, 2008 2: 03 pm    Post subject:
Well, the milk and water didnt help much. The milk actually made me a little sick to my stomach. Its amazing how the body adjusts to diet changes. After a couple hours of drinking water with little to do relief, I took my son to school and stopped by the store and bought some sugarfree gum. Sadly it contains aspertame and 1 carb / stick. [ / icon_mad. gif] But almost this day my throat felt better. Still a little swollen feeling but much more " normal ".
Incedentaly I bought some ketone test strips while I was out too. Looks like I ' m in the prop range. So definitely in ketosis? And hopefully not too dehydrated. I don ' t know how I can stomach much more water than what Ive been drinking. Me and my cup are inceperable it seems. [ / icon_lol. gif]
anyway, still any input would be great.
thanks
bluehex
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Dec 2003
Posts: 2663
Longitude: Warsaw, Poland
Mate Jun 25, 2008 2: 24 pm    Post subject:
Maybe you tidily have an ordinary cold? Sounds like a classic case of sore throat to me, not related to the diet.
naescyra
New Member
Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 17
Melt Jun 25, 2008 3: 07 pm    Post subject:
I have pretty big tonsils for an adult so I get Strep throat at least once a year. So sore throat is something I ' m familiar with. This is different. I cant really explain it. Its like the organs ( tonsils, uvula, adenoids, etc ) are all dry and sticking together and moving out of their normal place. Its really quite weird. Its something ive never experienced before and I otherwise feel fine so I have to believe its something to do with my diet change. Not saying its a bad thing, just something I need to figure out how to live with.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Wed Jun 25, 2008 3: 27 pm    Post subject:
Try gargling with warm salt water... old fashioned, but it works. [ / icon_smile. gif]
Bagadonitz
Senior Member
Joined: 06 Mar 2004
Posts: 227
Location: Mobile, NL, Canada
Wed Jun 25, 2008 4: 15 pm    Post subject:
Sorry to ask this but are you a smoker?
I was, in the past, and with a change in diet, sometimes cig consumption goes up without realizing it. Whenever I smoked more that usual, my uvula would swell up and cause problems swallowing as it would get caught in the swallowing action.
This has also happened to me in the past after drinking too much ( alcohol ). I wonder maybe if it could be caused by drinking too much COLD water? I can ' t stand drinking cold water. I have to drink it almost room temperature when drinking it in these types of quantities.
If you are having what I ' m describing it will be obvious if you look at the back of your throat in a mirror.
Anyways.. just some thoughts.
naescyra
New Member
Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 17
Wed Jun 25, 2008 5: 01 pm    Post subject:
no smoking
no drinking
lots of caffeine though. very little since starting diet.
the water i drink is usually room temp. i get it out of the faucet cool, but i dont usually drink it right away.
ill try the salt water trick. i was thinkin about that one too.
thanks
naescyra
New Member
Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 17
Thu Jun 26, 2008 5: 10 pm    Post subject:
Well, I couldnt take it anymore so I went to the doctor. Turns out I was wrong. [ / icon_redface. gif] Like I said, I usually get Strep throat once a year or so. So Im pretty familiar with the soar throat associated with that. Turns out I got some other unspecified infection. 5 days of antibiotics should clear it up. It just feels so much different than what Im used to associating with a soar throat.
Anyway, not diet related.
Which is good, cause this is finally a diet I think I can stick with.

No comments: