Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

Ketosticks, whats your color range.....?
Author
Message
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Whereabouts: Wisconsin
Fri Jul 04, 2008 3: 11 pm    Post subject: Ketosticks, whats your color range.....?
I just used them for the first time ever, never really thought I needed em to check if I was in ketosis before, but I figured what the hey...
It was maxed out at the purple, anyone think that ' s excessive?
bluehex
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Dec 2003
Posts: 2663
Situation: Warsaw, Poland
Sat Jul 05, 2008 5: 23 am    Post subject:
Essentially, the color doesn ' t matter, any color, even trace, is good, exclude the really dark purple - that would mean you are dehydrated and / or that you eat too much fat.
treacletart
New Member
Joined: 26 Jun 2008
Posts: 27
Locale: England
Sat Jul 05, 2008 12: 14 pm    Post subject:
mine are only pinkish. Never darker - but that ' s good enough for me. Oh and i lost another pound yesterday!..... whoopeee!
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Post: Wisconsin
Sun Jul 06, 2008 3: 15 am    Post subject:
Well im drinking well over 100 ounces of water a day and im definitely not consuming too much fat....
Marinewifeandmom
Notorious Member
Joined: 11 Apr 2008
Posts: 138
Longitude: Camp Lejeune, NC
Sun Jul 06, 2008 3: 31 am    Post subject:
i think it can really depend when you do it during the day, as in maybe at that particular time you were releasing more ketones than other times of the day - did you try the stick a couple different times during the day or even the next day and was it still as dark?
for example i did my stick last night and it was very dark purple, and like you i drink well over the amount of needed water AND i don ' t consume that much fat but then today when i did it during the day mine was a light shade of pink..
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Stage: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Sun Jul 06, 2008 6: 51 pm    Post subject:
Read this on ketones / strips / ketosis from the FAQ thread:
http: / / lowcarbsite. com / forum / viewtopic. php? t=1601
Tril
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Bearings: Wisconsin
Sun Jul 06, 2008 6: 52 pm    Post subject:
I much do one before I leave the house and one when I get home at night, now.
I ' ll probably stop bothering for awhile, theres definitely no need for me to do it until I start making changes in the diet.
sanoukee
New Member
Joined: 20 Jun 2008
Posts: 13
Tack on Jul 09, 2008 7: 46 am    Post subject:
I ' ve never used any of the ketosis strips. I ' m sure that if you succeed the plan that you shouldn ' t have to pest about using them.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Setting: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Grapple Jul 09, 2008 10: 37 am    Post subject:
I test once a week or so, first void of the day. It ' s recurrently trace or small, never more than that. A meal high in fat ( say, protein fat like meat & cheese, cream plus added fat like a salad dressing or mayo ) can give a darker harvest right after you eat. As long as I still have signs I ' m in ketosis and the strips are confirming that, I don ' t think about it... I certainly don ' t heartache about it. lol
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Bearings: Wisconsin
Thu Jul 17, 2008 1: 44 pm    Post subject:
Grrrr.... i had a moderate purple at morning and then a moderate at lunch.... i don ' t trust this torani syrup that i got because t hey were out of davinci..
I ' m goin over my food journal now.... grrr
Maybe its the protein shake....
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Footing: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Thu Jul 17, 2008 2: 42 pm    Post subject:
And maybe you ' re exceting more of the ketones through your lungs today... or maybe you used up more of them and had less to eject... and maybe your body is becoming more efficient... or maybe you had more to drink or your body is releasing more water so your urine is more diluted... SO... maybe there ' s nothing actually wrong... so many maybes... [ / icon_wink. gif]
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Locale: Wisconsin
Thu Jul 17, 2008 2: 48 pm    Post subject:
Maybe its time for an extra couple sets of weights and an extra half hour or hour on the crisp or stairmaster today.
If my body doesn ' t do what I tell it to do, it gets punished. It knows this, it shouldn ' t be giving me backtalk like this.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Position: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Thu Jul 17, 2008 2: 53 pm    Post subject:
You ' re presumptuous that a less than dark purple payoff on a keto - stix is somehow " bad " or wrong or a sign you ' re doing something less. It ' s not.
I just don ' t want anyone else ( you can think what you want, of course ) to believe that anything less than dark purple is somehow a less desireable level of ketosis. Darker purple does not mean you ' re losing more / faster than someone with a trace reading.
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Bearings: Wisconsin
Thu Jul 17, 2008 3: 01 pm    Post subject:
Yes, I consent with Tril.
For the record, I ' m being an idiot. I ' m just meticulous in my routine and when I see a particularity in the routine that accompanies a change in the diet, I get GRRR angry and start looking for blame in the changes.
In this case I added the Torani ' s plus I put more of the protein shake in because it appeared to be extra me a lot, and now I ' m glaring at it as it sits in my bag, innocent in its powdered little form.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Footing: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Thu Jul 17, 2008 3: 09 pm    Post subject:
And I can picture you searching for a formula to make it all make sense... [ / icon_wink. gif]
You know, I ' d like to see you in a yoga or meditation class with incense burnging, soft tinkling air in the background... I pledge you couldn ' t close your eyes. LOL You have a very high strung " get it done now " personality! Hazard your boss loves you.
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Stage: Wisconsin
Thu Jul 17, 2008 3: 28 pm    Post subject:
My boss is positively in love with me.... unforunately for him, although he doesn ' t know this, I re enrolled in college.
I ' m working AROUND him with the HR guy and my buddy in the department upper both of us and going down to part time.
I ' m currently a paralegal / manipulate at this firm and I ' m going back to finish school. I ' m 30 right now, hoping to be a full lawyer and not just a lawyer ' s lackey in 3 or 4 years.
I ' ll still be able to put in probably 30 or so hours a week but not the 50 or so he ' s been driving me on for the last few months.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Thu Jul 17, 2008 3: 30 pm    Post subject:
Law AND engineering... that ' s explains everything. LOL
You ' re not married, are you?
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Thu Jul 17, 2008 3: 40 pm    Post subject:
I tried... I ' ll give the short sweet version of it.
Lets see....
1997 - Fell in love with best friends sister ( this pissed him off )
Dated through 1998 - she went to school in different state, I went to school in Wisconsin.
1999 - she got pregnant, we got ready to have kid, she miscarried. that was rough for us, and she took some time off from the relationship and disappeared in school for a while
Broken up till spring 2001 - got back together over the summer, and decided to move in together. I made the decision to move to her state with her while she finished school, being done. At the end of the summer, a month before we were to move, my little brother died in a car accident. I moved anyway, but couldn ' t keep it together, and we eventually broke up. I was really withdrawn. ( a side note, this is when I went from a chubby 220 or so to a blooming 300 or so lbs )
Broken up till she graduated in 2004 - ( i had promised to go to her graduation no matter what, so I stuck with it. She had come back for Xmas that year, we went out and i decided I wanted to get her back, so I found atkins. Dropped the weight, then drove down. Set up a ridiculous night out, coupled with a ridiculously expensive diamond bracelet thingamabob for a graduation present. It didn ' t work or so i thought, altho she thought I looked good. )
Late summer 2004 - she shows up on my door. Apparently decided to move back. We dated for 2. 5 more years, were on the cusp of getting married, and I blew it and started yes.... not paying enough attention.
The current situation is we ' re friends, which I hate.. and im trying for more, but shes kind of lost her motivation at getting at life, she ' s significantly less happy and it ' s wearing off on me. It may be a situation of two people who still like each other and y et theres just too much bad history and too much change. We may not be the same people we used to be... i dunno.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Thu Jul 17, 2008 5: 26 pm    Post subject:
Of course you ' re not the same people you used to be... none of us are because life changes us. Sometimes you still like who the other person becomes ( and vice versa ), sometimes you end up with nothing in common but your history. I hope you hit your goal weight, get your dating mojo on and find someone to have fun with. [ / icon_smile. gif]
Tril
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Thu Jul 17, 2008 5: 32 pm    Post subject:
I dunno i have lots of mojos right now.
I have my motorcycle mojo, my fiction writing mojo, and my re education mojo...
maybe there ' s no more mojo to spread around right now.
As far as the ketosis sticks go, I get different results depending on which bottle i take from.
As an engineer, I ' m going insane right now.
I demand CONSISTENCY!
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Thu Jul 17, 2008 7: 49 pm    Post subject:
LOL... then stick with law and engineering. Your body isn ' t a machine, it doesn ' t follow rules. [ / icon_wink. gif]
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Thu Jul 17, 2008 8: 03 pm    Post subject:
I know but it ' s been maxed out purple for a long time, then all of a sudden whammo today its going pink and pink and pink and pinker.
No fake egg cream for me tonight, gonna cut it out and see what happens.
wheresmycoat
Senior Member
Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 326
Thu Jul 17, 2008 9: 49 pm    Post subject:
the ketones you excrete through pee vary for a number of logical reasons, which can affect your particular shade on the stick. Moderate purple is FANTASTIC. the trick is to be in ketosis, not in a certain shade.
Don ' t write in to the company. the bottles are quality controlled. [ / icon_wink. gif]
Hang in there, buddy! [ / icon_cool. gif]
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Fri Jul 18, 2008 3: 21 am    Post subject:
oh I got cranky today after that.
The rest of Kyp ' s day.
Kyp bought sugar free Jello, Kyp likes the tropical berry that gets packaged with the Strawberry Kiwi, which Kyp hates.
Kyp only got 1 tropical berry. Kyp called Kraft Jello and yelled. Kyp has a 24 pack of jello in the mail now.
Kyp called Bayer and yelled. Kyp has 3 bottles of Keto Sticks in the mail now.
Kyp yelled at Torani for their vanilla extract in their syrup. Kyp got a refund check in the mail for 12 bucks, and a bottle of some flavor that they don ' t have at Davinci.
Kyp is consumer warrior. Rawwwwr.
Sometimes talking in the third person is fun. Now I need to run upstairs and figure out how to flip this king salmon. My buddy at the seafood store gave me a ton of it tonite, it didn ' t even all fit in the baking dish. I can ' t even get the spatula under it.
arsieiuni
Established Member
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Posts: 125
Location: Alabama
Fri Jul 18, 2008 3: 58 am    Post subject:
I got my test strips today and had a moderate to high amount. ( I would guess 60 since it was a color directly between the 40 and the 80. Hmm. )
I have also had that metallic taste in my mouth since midday. I think that ' s a good estimate for about 55 or so hours from the beginning of Day 1 for me... so not surprised. It came about after a REALLY LONG walk in the hot sun so I ' m not surprised if I used up any remaining glucose store I had in me O_O especially since I didn ' t eat heavy before, ate a light snack midway through etc.
I went pretty low carb yesterday too, only 14 so likely, I didn ' t put much in to replace the carbs I lost and I just jumped into Ketosis today! Hurray!
I feel so good. I know I ' m gonna lose the weight finally with this diet. I have a lot to lose, at least 100 pounds but I ' m so happy to be making any progress at all.
Oh but from what I have read, getting all the way into the dark purple means you ' re dehydrated in most cases, though it can just mean you happened to catch a really high concentration of the ketones at a certain time of day. From what I read ( though I ' m still new at this, I have researched heavily ) I think you need a few good tests showing up like that in a row over a couple days before you should begin to even worry about it. If you ' re drinking as much water as you say, there ' s no way you ' re dehydrated unless you ' re consuming WAY too much salt and maybe overexercizing a LOT... but I don ' t think that ' s so likely from what you ' ve said so far? So hopefully, all is well right? [ / icon_smile. gif]
Shei

No comments: