Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

unbearable craving.: (
Author
Message
naescyra
New Member
Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 17
Tue Jul 08, 2008 6: 58 pm    Post subject: unbearable craving.: (
Im doing something wrong. All the sudden, after three weeks of doing this, Im getting unbearable cravings. I abstained from the cake at my sons birthday party. I avoided the carbs at not one, but two scatter of july parties. For three weeks, I cant say Ive really had horrible cravings. Now, Im about ready to throw in the towel and dive into a big bowl of fettucini alfredo with garlic bread followed by some cake and icecream. [ / icon_eek. gif]
I thought the cravings were supposed to go away, not get worse.
What would be causeing the cravings to come back. Over the weekend I was a little more free with the Diet Coke, but Ive cut it back out. I ' ve also had some of the ATkins bars for snacks or breakfast. Ive started taking a multivitamin. those are the only things that I can see that have changed.
I just havent seen the waitloss to really talk myself out of breaking the diet. Ive lost about 15 lbs. But ive done that a hundered times before.
Also, if i do give in and " take a break " from the diet, then get back into it, what are the reprecusions? I dont think i could gain ALL the wait back. I assume i would be kicked out of ketosis and would have to get back in. What else would happen?
I know. Im a wimp. Any help would be great.
karenjs
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 544
Footing: San Jose
Tue Jul 08, 2008 7: 02 pm    Post subject:
Anything that tastes sweet can trick your body into thinking it ' s getting sugar and trigger cravings. It doesn ' t happen for everyone, but it could be the diet soda, or more likely, the Atkins bars. Those are best left to later stages of Atkins.
For the next week, try to eat only fresh vegetables, water, and lots of unprocessed protein and healthy fats. Drop all distilled foods. Be sure to eat your 3 cups of salad vegetables OR your 2 cups of salad vegetables and one cup of other vegetables.
That should reestablish your Induction metabolism. If you incline you want to have an Atkins bar, have it only once a week or so. Better to cease though, during Induction.
Yes, if you " take a break " from the diet, you could definitely gain all the weight back and more. It depends on how long you take a break and how badly you go off of it.
Hang in there! You don ' t want to undo all the good you ' ve done for yourself!
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Latitude: Wisconsin
Tue Jul 08, 2008 7: 11 pm    Post subject:
The atkins bars themselves are most likely at least partly to blame for the craving feeling.
They are very sweet, and in my personal opinion, to be avoided.
Also, if you read into his books, you will see that he addresses the actuality that no matter how much the physical cravings will wither, you will always have the mental cravings that will need to be controlled by turning to the foods you CAN have...
I fall into that mess. I don ' t have a metabolic disorder, or an insulin problem. I just eat and eat and eat and eat.
I once at 45 ice cream sandwiches. thats no drivel. Ive eaten entire tubs of ice cream without a stop. When i was a kid, i used to grab a book and the 2 lb blocks of sliced american cheese and read the whole hardy boy book while munching slice after slice.
Pies? no problem. Dairy Queen in position? Hell yeah, think I ' ll buy a cake on the way home.
You may very well be confusing a physical craving with a mental craving. If you give in, no you will not gain ALL the weight back... in the short term. But quit.. and you ' ll see it all, plus more. Plus abandoning atkins can sometimes make it harder to get back on.
Make deviled eggs... and get some Durkey ' s to put in it. It ' s a bit sweet, and with the paprika as well, will make a heck of a snack.
naescyra
New Member
Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 17
Tue Jul 08, 2008 7: 19 pm    Post subject:
thanks for advice.
i was actually just concidering taking one night off, one meal. Not really more than that. I know this is working, so i would go right back to it.
I cant really singular what im trying to say. I ' ve lived so long on comfort foods, I feel like i need just a moment of comfort to bear on.
Maybe that will help explain it.
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Tue Jul 08, 2008 7: 44 pm    Post subject:
it explains it, but it doesn ' t excuse it, and to be honest, its indicative of the reason why you and I and others need the diet.
The inability to eat properly is the reason we are overweight. What finally saved me was the realization that it ' s just food. It ' s just a silly arse little stupid crutch that we use for 10 publication to make us feel better about our life.
If you get honest with yourself you ' ll realize that a piece of key lime pie isn ' t going to do banknote crap for your life.
Losing all the fat from your body will. You can ' t do atkins by dance off every few weeks. You gotta stick to your guns and jam it out. The forged sweet atkins stuff has to be saved for AFTER you don ' t crave it.
Not after the diet says maybe you can put it back in, but after YOU don ' t need it. If you still NEED it, you shouldn ' t touch it, because it will crush you.
I tried those bars... they kicked my butt. They tossed me out of ketosis, they sent me running for the low carb ice cream... which sent me running for more things.
They suck.
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Tue Jul 08, 2008 7: 46 pm    Post subject:
Besides lets not bullcrap.
When has it ever been " one night off " for any of us on any of the diets we ' ve tried. For people with eating problems there is no such thing as one night off. That ' s just our convincing ourselves that cheating is ok and fixable.
Cheating yourself is not productive.
karenjs
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 544
Location: San Jose
Tue Jul 08, 2008 8: 15 pm    Post subject:
I think many of us were raised to think of food as comfort. That idea makes it difficult for us to lose weight and keep it off.
When I was a kid, if I came home from school crying because I was teased, my mom offered me a warm oatmeal raisin cookie or a gooey chocolate chip cookie.
What kept me company after my divorce? Chocolate mint ice cream and cheetos.
We used food to entertain and reward ourselves, and to reduce anxiety and depression. It ' s a tough habit to break.
We have an almost - two - year - old at home. He has trouble dealing with his emotions and he demands instant gratification - - just like our overweight selves. When I ' m out shopping with him, I ' m tempted to give him treats to keep him content. It ' s more work to talk to him, entertain him and deal with the issues that come up. I think it ' s worthwhile to develop those healthy habits though. I don ' t want him turning to food for comfort for the rest of his life and I don ' t want that for myself either.
So now, if I feel down, I go out and get some fresh air or try a new activity. If I feel anxious, I try to identify what it is that is bothering me and face it head on. If I ' m lonely, I seek out a loved one.
High carb food is a bad friend. It gives you a quick pat on the back and then sticks around to suck the life out of you.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly ( TOPS ) is a non - profit weight loss support group. At the beginning of each meeting, the group stands and recites this:
I am an intelligent person.
I will control my emotions and not let my emotions control me.
Every time I am tempted to use food to satisfy my frustrated desires,
build up my injured ego or dull my senses, I will remember.
Even though I overeat in private my excess poundage is there for all the world to see.
I will take off pounds sensibly.
( Another variation of the last line is: " How foolish I have been. " )
The Atkins way of eating works for me. It makes me healthy, energetic and looking good. I ' m not willing to trade that for a high carb quick fix.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Jul 08, 2008 9: 16 pm    Post subject:
Like the others, I agree that the Atkins bars have to go. They frequently cause cravings in people. I think there ' s something else at work here, though. I think you felt / feel deprived because you didn ' t indulge with everyone else at your son ' s b ' day party and the two 4th of July parties. I often have MORE problem staying on plan the days AFTER an event than I ever do while actually doing well at a party or get together. It ' s like I let my guard down afterward. I don ' t feel like I " deserve it "... I just feel like I ' ve used up all of my " say no " ability. I have to be very careful in the days after a difficult eating situation. Maybe you ' re feeling something similar??
One little trick I use on myself when I ' m feeling like you are and you just want ONE meal to eat the foods you miss and you SHOULD be able to do that cuz everyone ELSE can, yada yada yada.... is I tell myself if I really and honestly want an off plan food I can have it. I give myself permission to eat it. No one is telling me I can ' t. No one would even know unless I told them. I can eat anything I want. So... do I really want it? Or is there something else going on and it ' s really NOT about the food?? Is it feeling deprived? Lonely? Sad? Discouraged because even tho you ' re following the plan you ' ve stopped losing so what ' s the POINT?!? Did anything ring a bell?
Weight loss doesn ' t happen just on / in your body... it happens between your ears. Probably 90 % of weight loss is mental... the rest is biological. If you don ' t deal with what makes you overeat and choose unhealthy foods you won ' t have dealt with what got you overweight, so keeping it off ( if you get it off ) is going to be almost impossible. Now is the time to figure this stuff out. It will help you get to goal and it will help you stay there. Take the time to reflect and consider your weight history... the answers are there if you look hard enough.
Tril
naescyra
New Member
Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 17
Wed Jul 09, 2008 12: 15 am    Post subject:
ok, ok. i got the point. [ / icon_smile. gif]
for dinner we made grilled chicken smothered in homemade alfredo sauce, with a side of sauted mushrooms, onions, and brussle sprout halves. we ended up mixing it all together because it was good that way. lol. At least it made me feel like i was cheating the diet a bit.
anyway, that seemed to satisfy my craving for today, though it might have been on the high end of the carbs for the day. Only other carbs ive had today were some onions with my eggs this morning. Regardless, going over a few carb points is better than going and getting a cake and Ben & Jerry ' s from walmart and then diving in.

No comments: