Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

Philosophy of daily weigh - ins vs. weekly ones
Author
Message
Zen
Familiar Member
Joined: 17 Jan 2006
Posts: 76
Direction: BC, Canada
Stick together Apr 16, 2008 6: 07 pm    Post subject: Philosophy of daily weigh - ins vs. weekly ones
A bit of an oddball topic, I am not sure really where to classify it so I am going to put it here. Feel free to move it Mods!
For most of my weight - loss life I have been stuck around the intellection of weekly weigh - ins, no more often than that. " You can ' t track your progress on a daily basis " I was told or read in many forums. And while I still largely recognize with that sentiment, I think it misses a key point. Yes your daily fluctuations of 2 - 3lbs ( or more or less depending on your weight and body ) make it difficult to track progress while losing weight. But, what daily weigh - ins can do is give you a very early indication when you are starting to slip.
Last time I was doing Atkins I got in the habit of daily weigh - ins. I would only report a loss when I weighed less than I did last time I weighed in. There were days where I was 2lbs heavier than the day before. All this did was transfer me a little extra motivation to get it off though.
Once I was out of " weight loss " mode, the daily weigh - ins spread out, and did a very good job of letting me know when I was slipping. ( more than a 3lbs gain over my lowest weight ) Only once I got out of the habit of daily weigh - ins did I start to slip.
I am curious to hear form others about your weighing schedule and what success you have with it. I am definitely an advocate of the daily weighing technique, PROVIDING that the lone can accept there will be daily fluctuations and not to panic about a slight one. I think the benefits of catching the slipping nearly away far outweigh the negatives in my case.
Thoughts and comments more than welcome!
cherihill
Conscious Member
Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Posts: 109
Stage: WEST TEXAS PANHANDLE U. S. A
Thu Apr 17, 2008 3: 56 am    Post subject: On this daily weigh in topic
Zen I totally agree with you.. I just replied to a post by a newbie and told her that thats what I do.. Exactly what u stated. I weigh every morning. And I update my very first post entry on this site so its easy for a orator to see my progress on one entry post stating my weight on this board weekly reguardless if I lose or not.. but if I lose before the week ends any loses I just post as a new post reply for that day and may incorporate how I was feeling that day or what I ate ect..
It keeps me on track.. And your right its better to catch the slip within a few pounds less instead of more. This has worked for me.
And after reading your post on this subject I notice u have a wieght ticker to track your loses.. I think I am gonna get one of those to post in my loses during the week.
desertbitch
Senior Member
Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 367
Location: High Desert, CA.
Thu Apr 17, 2008 5: 09 pm    Post subject:
My brain is f ' ed up. if I weigh myself and it is high, then I can get depressed and cheat. If I weigh myself and it is low, I may be happy and cheat. My weight fluctuates too much for daily or even weekly weigh ins.
As usual, YMMV.
dynomutt
New Member
Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Posts: 12
Wed Apr 23, 2008 12: 04 am    Post subject:
I like the daily weigh ins for exactly the reasons you describe. And you ' re right, when I do see my weight go up, it forces me to be more disciplined about eating and exercise. Much better to fix the problem immediately than to come back a week later and find you ' ve put on weight.
redboots
Established Member
Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 142
Location: Cardiff, Wales
Wed Apr 23, 2008 8: 46 am    Post subject:
dynomutt wrote:
I like the daily weigh ins for exactly the reasons you describe. And you ' re right, when I do see my weight go up, it forces me to be more disciplined about eating and exercise. Much better to fix the problem immediately than to come back a week later and find you ' ve put on weight.
Yes thats exactly what I find too plus it the scales are down slightly it gives you more encouragmen to keep going
Ray Dockrey
New Member
Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Posts: 2
Wed Apr 23, 2008 6: 43 pm    Post subject:
It also allows you to reflect back and look at the decisions you made and whether or not they were good ones. I, as others have mentioned, find that if I see an increase I am more motivated to work harder.
emomoney
Established Member
Joined: 04 Apr 2008
Posts: 59
Wed Apr 23, 2008 7: 58 pm    Post subject:
I weighed myself daily during induction to monitor the progress. The first week I lost 1 - 1. 5lbs / day and around 0. 5lbs / day the second week. I did not have one day where I weighed more. I ' m sure during OWL or maintenance there will be more of a fluctuation.
karenjs
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 544
Location: San Jose
Wed Apr 30, 2008 11: 11 pm    Post subject:
I weigh myself every morning and keep track of my weight on a graph in the back of my dietminder journal. That way, I can see the trend over time.
There are some days when I haven ' t lost anything or I ' ve gained a half pound, but I can see by the graph that I ' ve had a pretty steady downward curve. That makes me feel better right away, and sure enough, the next day, I ' m continuing my downward journey.

No comments: