Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

fruit: so here ' s my issue
Author
Message
mignonmykel
New Member
Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 25
Mon Jul 07, 2008 6: 55 pm    Post subject: fruit: so here ' s my issue
I ' ve taken a few days off of my Atkins tableau because I have to reflection some things ( I ' ve been off since the 5th, and have only gained back. 6 pounds in the last 2 days ).
My main issue with this eating style is your main organ of carbs is supposed to come from vegetables.
I eat carrots ( with dip ), salad ( drenched with ranch ), corn, potatoes. All no - nos.
So I ' m left eating chicken, steak, cheeseburgers, hot dogs; pickles; black olives; eggs ( scrambled or as an omelette ).
By the end of day 5 of strong willpower, I was bored out of my mind.
Would adding " intelligible " fruits, like grapes and bananas ruin induction? Or should I stick to my chicken, steak, cheeseb......... diet?
What is your opinion?
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Locale: Wisconsin
Mon Jul 07, 2008 7: 05 pm    Post subject:
What wouldn ' t puncture you? That ' s what I would look at. Before dropping the diet or putting fruits in with sugars, I ' d do some " alternative " cheating like putting some cheeses in etc etc.
When you naturally have to change the diet or quit, go for the change that does the least negative impact.
I picked up some of those DaVinci syrups and they were pretty cool. I made some chocolate milk out of heavy cream and the chocolate syrup... it was a bit thick but meh... kinda like a milk shake. Think I will chill some and see if it ' s like ice cream tonight.
If you like fish, try to find some Jaunty Chachere Creole Seasoning and get a salmon or halibut fillet, then bake it with some of that and some peppers. That makes a pretty kick butt dinner, with a bit of hot bacon salad.
There are a lot of vinaigrette dressings that have 0 carbs, maybe that will help. One of the things I think people need to break themselves out of is the " need " to have variety in every meal.
I dunno.... why? Once upon a time you ate the tube from the dirt and the buffalo steak, or else you went hungry period. For a great many years people had like 4 choices per month to eat.... and it worked. The very reality that we have so many choices to eat that are good in this country and in the world is the reason why you can walk around wisconsin and see obesity. Go down to the gas station on Regent St. and W. Washington, the Kelley ' s Market in madison and watch how many peeps can ' t get out of their car. Then watch how many of them are carrying something " different " to eat when they get back in.
I understand the need for some variety but if you read over the menu section of this forum you ' ll get blown away. I did atkins for years the first time and I didn ' t have this menu, this time I ' m practically ITCHING to get into some of those recipes and start makin some stuff.
There ' s a really good bacon cheeseburger quiche in there that will be pretty good... I think
Climactically, lets spot what you want back in to give you some variety, and then look at the feasibility of putting it in, or alternatives to it that will make you happy.
Whatcha missin?
( side note ) After I went on induction for a long time, I started putting well-balanced sugar free jello with some strawberry slices in it, and my own whipped cream or even the reddi whip, and it never seemed to hurt me )
Amaranthix
New Member
Joined: 07 Jul 2008
Posts: 8
Locale: Maple Grove, Minnesota
Mon Jul 07, 2008 7: 17 pm    Post subject:
Is your problem that you don ' t like most vegetables, or you just don ' t have enough variety? If it ' s the first I have the same issue, I ' d probably die in the wild if I didn ' t have meat.
The best way I ' ve found is to entail as much of your meal WITH the vegetables as you can. I could never eat a salad by itself with a little ranch, or plain broccoli, so I put enough protein on it where I can have a small piece of chicken / hamburger / etc with every bite. The combination of flavor will also make it less boring.
Last edited by Amaranthix on Mon Jul 07, 2008 7: 19 pm; edited 1 time in total
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Locality: Wisconsin
Mon Jul 07, 2008 7: 18 pm    Post subject:
Don ' t quit on me.... you got this.
Try to get out of the mindset of being bored by food. By doing that, you ' re placing a priority on food itself, which is one of the primary reasons for us being shall we say... less than thin.
Finding things other than food that can extract your boredom is one of the keys.
Heck, Nintendo GameCubes are tawdry these days, like 25 salary and they ' re pretty fun. Anything that can take your mind off food for a bit can be good.
Failing that, find new ways to spice the food, find a few good recipes in the menu section.
What I tried to do in the beginning and now this second time through is pick 4 or 5 recipes I like, do em till I am good at them, and then want new ones, then pick another 2 or 3 good ones again. Eventually you will have 20 or so recipes that you like and that should keep you trucking on.
The " skinny " of it ( HAHAHAHA ) is that variety in food is a brief fix. the whole " ahhh that was nice " aspect will decline out.... then the awww CRAP part kicks in.. and that ' s not fun.
I had the " ahhhhh " aspect back in september..... then I had the aww crap around april.
The aww crap was about 70 lbs of aww crap, and it blew chunks.
I ' m thinking of trying to make an egg creme soda with the chocolate davinci syrup. I risk it will be pretty cool. I have some cheats that are pretty minimal impact, like the sugar free jello with some strawberries, etc. etc.
I got your back on this one if you want to stick it out.
In any case, I ' m cutting out of work early and sign to the gym, I ' ll post back round 8pm I guess.
mignonmykel
New Member
Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 25
Mon Jul 07, 2008 8: 12 pm    Post subject:
I forgot to add that I eat cheese too ( again, more than 3 - 4 oz a day, but my selection is low and cheese is what I ' ve got )
My typical menu ( when home ) is:
breakfast ( I could do this every day ):
either scrambled eggs with cheddar and ham, or an omelette of these
occasionally 2 pc bacon or sausage
lunch:
1 or 2 cheeseburger ( s ) ( no bun, obv. )
pickle dill half
dinner:
steak or chicken
snacks throughout day vary from:
black olives
pickle ( s )
string cheese
cheese and summer sausage
=========================
my diet when I work:
( breakfast is the same )
when I work 12 hours, lunch and dinner are regularly the same, because chicken tastes better reheated over anything else, so lunch and dinner is chicken, black olives, string cheese
when I work 8 hours, though, I can go home and make a steak or something and be happy.
Now back to what you guys have said.
- Heavy cream nauseates me, just the thought of it.
- I ' ve never cared for fish ( the stench, again, nauseates me ) and fish sticks ( although not on the " diet " ), I had a bad experience with when younger and will not eat them.
- The only dressing I ' ll eat is Ranch. I hate vegetables ( I get it from my mother, but at least I ' ll eat them ) and need to douse them with something that I like ( that being the ranch ). I kind of like olive garden ' s dressing, but only at a 3, on a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being the highest.
- Cauliflower and broccoli.... There ' s something about them that just turns me off. However, I ' ll eat them as the frozen variety loaded with cheese sause " Touch
The first time I did Atkins, I lived off of cheese, meat and eggs, but there wasn ' t much I could do, as my diet was peddle - eyed by my mother ( as I was 12 and living with her )
Now you, Kyp... You don ' t seem to be a picky eater. I don ' t try things, because I will throw up if it doesn ' t clinch with me in any way.
I ' m very much, this is what it is, this is how you ' re going to eat it. Out of my " diet ", there ' s no much room for variety, because that is what I like, that is what I will eat.
And as I said about chicken being the only thing I can eat at work, more or less, I think what made me sick of it is I ' m not a seasoned chicken person. Organ it in Sweet Baby Gleam ' s and I ' ll call it a day.
Grr, so I ' m in a wail mood. One, I ' m a writer ( so things get lengthy, and they get lengthy often ), two, I doctor to sabotage myself in any way possible ( not necessarily consciously all the time ).
I was doing really good. And I was satisfied.
The problem, I do believe, was the 4th at work we had two parties ( one for days, one for pms ) and I was at both. I didn ' t cheat that day. It was yesterday when the leftovers were still there, staring me down. And yesterday, today and tomorrow ( and connect and thurs... ) are just difficult because I ' m house / loathsome sitting and only have pure and unhealthy food around ( besides the bananas, grapes and strawberries I bought this morning ). So I will restart Friday, as that ' s my next day home.
I wish steak didn ' t cost so much... I could have steak 3 + meals a day if I could afford it.
Amaranthix
New Member
Joined: 07 Jul 2008
Posts: 8
Station: Maple Grove, Minnesota
Mon Jul 07, 2008 8: 36 pm    Post subject:
You sound like a female anecdote of me from your food preferences, daily menu, and mannerisms. I had a scoop of corn for Thanksgiving but colorful french fries were the beside I ever got every year. Atkins forced me to branch out a little bit though. Salad covered in ranch and cooked broccoli covered in cheese are now acceptable [ / icon_lol. gif]
To spice things up ( literally... ) I have bone in buffalo wings every so often. I think they are Tyson brand. Those with a bunch of bleu cheese is a wonderful thing.
Back to the fruits though, I believe you can have strawberries ( in speculation ) shortly after induction? So if you can just stick with it for a little bit more possibilities will open up.
Edited my edit...
Last edited by Amaranthix on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8: 42 pm; edited 2 times in total
mignonmykel
New Member
Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 25
Mon Jul 07, 2008 8: 39 pm    Post subject:
Amaranthix wrote:
You sound like a female sequel of me from your food preferences, daily menu, and mannerisms. I had a scoop of corn for Thanksgiving but contrastive french fries were the alongside I ever got every year. Atkins forced me to branch out a little bit though. Salad covered in ranch, potatoes and cooked broccoli covered in cheese are now acceptable [ / icon_lol. gif]
... not on induction they ' re not!!
Or else I ' d be all over them " )
Amaranthix
New Member
Joined: 07 Jul 2008
Posts: 8
Position: Maple Grove, Minnesota
Mon Jul 07, 2008 8: 41 pm    Post subject:
mignonmykel wrote:
Amaranthix wrote:
You sound like a female fiction of me from your food preferences, daily menu, and mannerisms. I had a scoop of corn for Thanksgiving but contradistinct french fries were the hard by I ever got every year. Atkins forced me to branch out a little bit though. Salad covered in ranch, potatoes and cooked broccoli covered in cheese are now acceptable [ / icon_lol. gif]
You ' re right, they ' re not. I can ' t edit a post worth a dang [ / icon_redface. gif]
... not on induction they ' re not!!
Or else I ' d be all over them " )
mignonmykel
New Member
Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 25
Mon Jul 07, 2008 9: 36 pm    Post subject:
Amaranthix wrote:
mignonmykel wrote:
Amaranthix wrote:
You sound like a female adventure of me from your food preferences, daily menu, and mannerisms. I had a scoop of corn for Thanksgiving but antithetic french fries were the coming I ever got every year. Atkins forced me to branch out a little bit though. Salad covered in ranch, potatoes and cooked broccoli covered in cheese are now acceptable [ / icon_lol. gif]
... not on induction they ' re not!!
Or else I ' d be all over them " )
Oh no, it ' s all good " )
However, I really wish they were induction friendly....
You ' re right, they ' re not. I can ' t edit a post worth a dang [ / icon_redface. gif]
emomoney
Conscious Member
Joined: 04 Apr 2008
Posts: 59
Mon Jul 07, 2008 10: 58 pm    Post subject:
mignonmykel,
I don ' t like to discourage anybody, but if you hate veggies, then this may not be the diet for you as most of the carbs you eat should come from veggies. There are other very successful techniques for losing weight. My wife and I are opposite. I am doing Atkins, through cutie lost all of her weight by eating low - fat, less calories and lots of exercise. As far as a variety of foods to eat at work besides chicken, try pork, smoked or Italian sausage, bratwurst. There are a variety of foods to eat with Atkins, but if you dislike them, then you may need to look or other weight loss alternatives.
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Tue Jul 08, 2008 1: 21 am    Post subject:
I can tolerate the long winded prose of a writer.. when I can get lucky enough I get a few random paychecks from Asimov ' s and Analog magazines... so I know the market some.
Fish may nauseate you but it ' s really damm good... you may want to think about the mental aspect of any diet.
It seems that you are limiting yourself to some cheese meet and some veggies hiding under Hidden Valley ( yuk yuk ).
That ' s gonna be a problem no matter what diet your doing, cuz the only thing that leaves to put in for variety is junk food.
Alaskan King Crab smells a bit odd, not gross, but odd, and yet it ' s quite probably the single greatest food on the planet. I ' ve eaten a lot of things in my life and I ' ve never found anything that even comes close to it.
Halibut doesn ' t smell like most fish you have smelled, you may want to think about it.
One suggestion about the fish? If you get it fresh at a market and season it properly, it doesn ' t smell like crappy ole fish from the grocery store. When I cook my halibut it never really ends up smelling like fish at all, thats the way a lot of white fish end up.
I ' m not trying to force you to eat fish I ' m just saying it ' s a really really good branch for good foods on atkins, it ' s fatty with good fats, tasty as all heck, and it cooks FAST.
A 1 lb fillet of fish can probably cook in 18 minutes, once the oven is pre heated.
As for veggies, I think its Green Thumb or someone that has these 4 packs of frozen broccoli with cheese in them, nuke em for 60 seconds and they come out all gooey and salty and yummy with what I think is velveeta.... 60 calories and 3 carbs, and they are pretty good. I keep a few in the freezer at work for emergencies.
To be honest, I don ' t think this diet is " not for you ".... I think you outta just do what I did the first time and say aww the hell with it... and eat meat and cheeses and say screw it....
Veggie carbs... bahhh.... I didn ' t have veggie carbs for the first 3 months the first time and I didn ' t die.... I ate string cheese and beef jerky in the day and chicken at night.
However, if you flat out eliminate entire branches of food, and yet convince yourself that you can ' t tolerate eating the only things you have given yourself the option to have left without being bored, you ' re convincing yourself of failure. Your boxing yourself into a situation where your only option is to cheat.
mignonmykel
New Member
Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 25
Tue Jul 08, 2008 1: 54 am    Post subject:
emomoney wrote:
mignonmykel,
I don ' t like to discourage anybody, but if you hate veggies, then this may not be the diet for you as most of the carbs you eat should come from veggies. There are other very successful techniques for losing weight. My wife and I are opposite. I am doing Atkins, whereas she lost all of her weight by eating low - fat, less calories and lots of exercise. As far as a variety of foods to eat at work besides chicken, try pork, smoked or Italian sausage, bratwurst. There are a variety of foods to eat with Atkins, but if you dislike them, then you may need to look or other weight loss alternatives.
However, as stated before ( more than once in different threads ), this is the only thing that I ' ve done and been successful at ( I ' ve done low fat, cut calories, Weight Watchers... won ' t do Zone or S. Beach because of fish ).
If I could do it when I was 12, I damn well can do it when I ' m 21 " ) I did just fine on meat, cheese and eggs then... ( and it was more than 4 oz of cheese a day, because I ate at least 5 - 6 pcs of string cheese a day, they ' re all an oz each )
Thank you for your insight though.
mignonmykel
New Member
Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 25
Tue Jul 08, 2008 1: 57 am    Post subject:
And thank you kyp, but I refuse to touch fish.
It is disgusting.
" )
Oh, the things I ' ve learned from my mother...
Marinewifeandmom
Established Member
Joined: 11 Apr 2008
Posts: 138
Location: Camp Lejeune, NC
Tue Jul 08, 2008 3: 40 am    Post subject:
When we were younger my mom always tried to get us to eat fish. I hated it with a passion. I, too, had some horrible mishaps come from fish many years ago that kept me far, far away from it. Then about a month or two ago my friend mentioned something about salmon. I didn ' t think I had ever had it and thought maybe I would try it. My sister - in - law had made some and saved a few bites for me.. sooo... i tried it. Wow! it was amazing! how taste buds change over time! I then progressed to trying tilapia, which I had also never had before - it was amazing! Let me tell you, I hated fish with a passion and I was so grossed out by the smell but now I don ' t mind it at all and I also really like tuna, which used to disgust me as well because they have all these cool, yummy flavors like tomato pesto and herb and garlic tuna in the packets. I mixed the tuna w / mayo, caesar dressing, black peper, and parmesan cheese and dished it into a leaf of romaine lettuce and made a tuna wrap. it was REALLY good!
Marinewifeandmom
Established Member
Joined: 11 Apr 2008
Posts: 138
Location: Camp Lejeune, NC
Tue Jul 08, 2008 3: 44 am    Post subject:
oh yeah.. do you like crab, shrimp, lobster? mmm red lobsters makes these mushrooms stuffed with crab and lobster.. i have those " fish " here and there and i like to get a lb of shrimp here and there to cook with or i just toss ' em in those new steam bags and when they are done i add butter and shake the bag til they are coated. my friend, who is also on atkins, made some shrimp marinated in butter, garlic and some herb and garlic spices - we put them all in a contained and shook it real good and let it sit - we then put them on the grill and oh my goodness we were in heaven. i, too, LOVE steak! i could eat it 3x a day as well. what kind of steak do you get? could you get sirloin per chance? i know that is on the cheaper end - that is what i get to have my cheap " steak " fix. We had also made a steak to go w / that lobster - de - lish!
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Tue Jul 08, 2008 3: 54 am    Post subject:
WHen I was a kid, the only thing I would eat ever was plain cheeseburger and macaroni and cheese.
Literally.
In any case, it wasn ' t until the LAST atkins book that he revised that he said 4 ounces of cheese.
I just read the 1999 and 2002 book and he just says go to town on the cheese but watch the carbs.
He also doesnt say you HAVE to have 12 to 15 grams of veggie carbs... in fact he talks about cutting out ALL veggie carbs for people who cant get the weight loss started.
I think the veggie carbs thing is a bit of CYA on his part... good ole cover your arse
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Jul 08, 2008 10: 19 am    Post subject:
" I think the veggie carbs thing is a bit of CYA on his part... good ole cover your arse. "
LOL... you ' re probably right. Except... from what I ' ve seen ( videos of him and and his wife ) and read, he didn ' t care about that.
RE: fish... it ' s funny, there are several fish I can ' t eat because I can ' t stand them: salmon, talapia and trout are at the top of that list. I love shellfish ( except muscles ) and most salt water fish. Fish from fresh water usually tastes like mud to me, though. LOL
Kyp... when I was a kid the foods I ate most of the time were Beefaroni, tuna sandwiches and poptarts ( cinnamon sugar ). [ / icon_rolleyes. gif] And cookies. No wonder I ended up this way. [ / icon_evil. gif]
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Tue Jul 08, 2008 1: 29 pm    Post subject:
Mignon, your a writer, so I wonder if you have ever read any Ayn Rand.
The ARI gave me my first scholarship back in 1997 for my freshman year for an objectivist paper I sent into them.
In any case, it all boils down to the lack of subjectivism in life, and as pertains to our own personal situations. Like Galt says, A is always A, no matter how hard we don ' t want it to be at times.
A change in life can never happen without changing your life. Now this is like the situation where when the one person you would not expect to disagree disagrees and it makes everyone stand up and take notice. Like when the arsonist says, hey dude... you probably shouldn ' t play with those matches. I ' m capable of consuming up to about 3, 500 to 4, 000 calories a day and maintain a 1 lb a week weight loss, but it ' s a result of the fact that I ' m a pretty large guy and have a metabolic advantage as well as a high deficit from the gym. Reading over your posts I can see that you are also consuming roughly 3, 000 to 4, 000 calories a day. Your carb intake is enough with that to keep you from GAINING weight, but it will be nigh impossible for you to lose a significant amount of weight with that kind of calorie intake... and I think a lot of it stems from the reluctance to change your diet.
The simple fact is that Atkins isn ' t the only diet that ' s going to make you eat veggies. Weight Watchers or some low fat diet is going to cram even more veggies down your throat than this diet will, so I think it may be time for some tough decisions. Without changes, change cannot come, unfortunately that ' s just the bare bones logic of the situation. You CAN lose weight on atkins, even while just eating eggs cheese and meat, but you have to get the calories down from the roughly 3, 500 that you are at now. I personally don ' t have a single problem with you deciding not to eat many veggies, I didn ' t eat them very often and I still don ' t, but I take my supplements and until I get to my target Off - Induction weight, I ' m restricting myself to a maximum of 1200 calories a day. However, a reluctance to change your eating habits is going to have a significant impact on your capability to change your weight in any significant way on any diet, albeit atkins or any other.
The calories you are eating now would be fine at the end in a maintenance type modified atkins diet, in fact the book I have talks of some people who ' s carb levels are so low that they never really made it off of induction. I don ' t think that ' s you however, I think you just haven ' t really kicked in the weight loss yet. The crux of the matter is what don ' t you like more?.... because we have not liking veggies..... not liking fish.... not liking seasonings... and not liking your weight, to list some.
No fish.... that ' s fine. No one can change that, it ' s patently obvious that decision is fixed in stone. Do I really care about the veggies either? No not really, although a bit of veggies would really help to cut into the hunger and calorie intake you currently have. For my dinner I dice my chicken and put it over a small bed of spinach. I make certain the chicken is juicy and the juice basically soaks the spinach to the point where it just tastes like the chicken anyway, so I barely notice them. You do, however, need to get the calories down, and the veggies are there for that. I would increase your cheese intake, the diet worked before this new book that says 4 oz of cheese, so I am not quite so concerned about that, and I would watch out for the hot dogs and shiz. Those are probably where you are picking up the most calories.
If you despise salad, try what I used to try when I worked at the restaurant. I took romaine lettuce leaves, wrapped them around some cheddar cheese and sliced roast beef and then melted the cheese. Makes for a 60 second lettuce wrap sandwich and a few of those a day cuts into your veggies while filling your stomach with more than just the meat and cheese.
Failing that, you can significantly increase your gym workout if you want. The simple truth of the matter is that right now the situation is not working for you, as you have stated. If the situation is not working as it is right now, than logic dictates without any possibility of refuting it that a change must occur in order for the outcome to change. Almost definitely a few less calories at least for a few weeks, a shade more veggies, or some more gym is probably what will have to be implemented to be the key to success.
Try not to limit yourself by making arbitrary decisions before even examining the reasonings behind them. That ' s like walking into a job and saying, I ' m gonna hate this job, or starting off a relationship by saying " I ' m never getting married " or " I ' m never having a kid " etc etc. Making unilateral decisions before examining the logic structure around that decision is a recipe for nothing but disaster... and disaster is always to be avoided.
I didn ' t post this to be hard, more to say that I think you got this, definitely have the motivation and drive to do it, and you recognize that this is one of the most successful diet and lifestyle systems out there, just remember to look at the process with an open decision making capability. Walking into it with preconceptions and predetermined decisions about what you won ' t do under any circumstances, and which parts of your eating and lifestyle you won ' t change no matter what results you get back is quite simply not going to accomplish your goals.
That being said, we ' re all here for whatever support the internet is capable of providing.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Jul 08, 2008 2: 38 pm    Post subject:
Very nicely stated. And an appropriate message for ALL of us.
Thanks,
Tril
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Tue Jul 08, 2008 4: 51 pm    Post subject:
I posted this in another section... I ' ll post it here as well. I buy some of these products when I won ' t have time for actual cooking... usually on thursday as it ' s my longest gym day plus the longest work day.
http: / / www. generalmills. com / corporate / brands / brand. aspx? catID=20908&groupID=19440#23354
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Thu Jul 10, 2008 7: 40 pm    Post subject:
mignon?

No comments: