Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

putting it on during induction..
Author
Message
sephira
New Member
Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Posts: 3
Locality: Australia
Sat Jun 21, 2008 4: 05 am    Post subject: putting it on during induction..
Hello
I ' m new to this forum and new to Atkins... I have read the book about 4 times.. and, at 51.. I ' m very much enjoying my new lifestyle.
Currently I ' m on day 14 on induction and have kept to the guidelines fastidiously... at least I think I have!!
.. but my by-product are showing something I wasn ' t expecting.
I have gained 4 kilos ( close to 8lbs, I think in Imperial measures ). [ / icon_eek. gif]
Started out at 75. 5kg... now 79. 0kgs.
I have a goal weight of 62 kgs, ( my old usual weight )
I haven ' t gained inches and my clothes fit just as they did 2 weeks ago, I feel great, and am not hungry.
I have a background as being raw vegan ( arrrghhh! ) for many years as well as a history of water fasting on a regular basis... going into ketosis and fasting for as long as 20 days... so being disciplined is not a problem..
What is my body doing??
I don ' t register even a trace on the ketostix..
My husband and I have been eating the same diet for induction... he ' s lost 4 kgs and shows ketosis on the sticks every time. the only difference is that I have a decaff coffee with a smidgeon of fresh cream 3 times a day.
Perhaps I have enormous up my metabolism with the religious lifestyle? I was totally disheartened to see the weekly weigh in..
I ' ve been reading and reading, the only explanation I can find is that I ' m home muscle.. ( I don ' t exercise.. just regular motile.. and I ' ve upped that just a little. )
Any suggestions would be more than welcome.
Good luck to all of you on this great way of life
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Whereabouts: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Sat Jun 21, 2008 2: 03 pm    Post subject:
Sephira... there ' s a lot in the book on why someone might not lose weight on this diet. Do you have the book? Read those chapters and see if any of it rings a bell for you.
If you have time, you could post your menu / food here and we could see if something jumps out at us. But I ' m thinking your previous vegan lifestyle and fasting habits might have a lot to do with this. Age is a aid, too... hormones and all. Have you gone through menopause yet? Also, because your clothes fit the same, it ' s probably not all fat that you ' ve gained... maybe water retention? It ' s puzzling, too, that you ' re not getting even a trace on the sticks.
A list of what ( and how much ) you ' re eating and drinking in a typical day would be big help, though.
Tril
sephira
New Member
Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Posts: 3
Setting: Australia
Sat Jun 21, 2008 4: 57 pm    Post subject:
Thanks for your reply.
I have read the chapters on diabetes, drugs, menopause, thyroid, etc.. but I ' m not on any medications, not hyperthyroid or diabetic.. the only thing I can think of is menopause.. but this has been triumph free.. ( as in no flushes, excessive weight gain or any other troubling symptoms ).
.. I ' m pretty healthy aside from a wee bit overweight.
My typical menu is as follows:
one egg and 2 slices bacon for breakfast, decaff coffee with cream
can of tuna with slurp of olive oil and greens for lunch, decaff coffee / cream... or bacon and eggs again.. same as brekky.
Dinner would be meat, repeatedly fresh, not refined, either free range chicken / pork, and greens.
I raise my own ( read organic ) greens.. aragula, asian greens, bok choy.
Not hungry between meals at all, feasibly a little portion of cheese 3 - 4 times a week.
Water drinking.. I drink as much as possible ( about 5 - 6 glasses a day. This is not my strongest point, feasibly I need to drink more ).
I take a liquid tonic called Life force " Body Statement "
This has 3. 3 carbs per serving.. I have this in the morning after breakfast.
When fasting, I go into ketosis after the end of day 3.. maybe I should do this to kick start the case??
Even when fasting my weight loss is not massive.
I ' m an aussie size 12 and wish to return to my original size 10... I think American clothes sizes are different, not sure how that works in conversion.
Something has just sprung to mind.. and that ' s salt. I don ' t usually use salt and the bacon has salt in it as does the meats I ' m eating.. as my husband salts it before cooking.
How do you think that the vegan lifestyle would affect doing Atkins?
Hope this helps!!.. and thanks!!
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Sat Jun 21, 2008 5: 36 pm    Post subject:
20 grams a day usually is low enough to put someone into ketosis within 3 days. You have one of the symptoms of ketosis, though... reduced appetite. You might never get a reading on the keto stix and STILL be in ketosis. It just means that your body is burning all of them for fuel. Exercise will also burn up the ketones... leaving you with none to spill over into your urine to cause a color change on the stix. If you were losing, I ' d say just foget about the stix.
I think you might have something with the sodium, especially since you aren ' t used to having it. Extra sodium = fluid retention. 5 to 6 glasses of water a day is probably not enough to counter balance the extra salt in your diet. Your body will hang on to the water to dilute the sodium in your tissues. You can flush it out by drinking about twice as much as you have been... that will dilute the sodium enough to balance your body and the extra water will be excreted. I know that I ' m drinking enough when I ' m urinating once an hour. Any less than once every 3 hours and I better get glugging. Your body absolutely requires sufficient water for a low carb diet to work. That ' s as important as counting the carbs.
As far as a vegan diet goes... it ' s been awhile since your body processed animal protein. Maybe you just need to give it some more time to adjust. Fasting will also mess with your metabolism. Another word for fasting would be starving... and that does NASTY things to your metabolism.
I would suggest that you give yourself another week at induction level, double your water intake, reduce your sodium ( cut back on the bacon ), don ' t increase the cheese ( very high in sodium ), exercise / walk every day for at least 30 minutes ( burn those ketones up ).. and take another look at the Body Balance. How much are you drinking? It has 8 carbs per cup. It also has 13. 2 mg iron per cup... Dr Atkins said we were to avoid supplements with iron in it. Just saying... something to consider. That stuff is NOT cheap, either.
Tril
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Sat Jun 21, 2008 9: 05 pm    Post subject:
I ' ve been thinking about this since I posted my first response... and came up with a couple of questions.
Did you weigh on the same scale? Was it reset during the week at all? Or moved?
Did you weigh the same time of day, wearing the same clothes ( or nothing at all )? Had you eaten or drank ANYTHING before you weighed? The best time is right after you get out of bed ( after you pee! )... your stomach is empty then. If you drink two cups of water ( 16 oz ) you will add 2# to your total weight. It ' s not a " gain " but it will appear like one on the scale.
Tril
sephira
New Member
Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Posts: 3
Location: Australia
Wed Jun 25, 2008 10: 13 am    Post subject:
Hello.. sorry not to reply sooner.. have been at work.
I did weigh myself on the same scale at the chemist shop, on the same day in virtually the same clothes. I do this after my Saturday walk as I pass by the shops.
I have continued to eat a la induction.. no cheese at all, more water ( probably getting close to 3 litres.. ) I haven ' t weighed myself this week, but judging by the way my clothes are fitting.. there doesn ' t appear to be any weight loss. This is now my 3rd week of induction.
I ' m feeling surprisingly good, though. I ' m very satisfied as far as food goes.. and my energy levels are much better than they were on a vegan diet.
I ' m not thinking constantly about when my next meals will come along,, which is what happens on veg / vegan diets.
This really is a huge lifestyle change for me, and sometimes I feel really bad about eating meat.. but the benefits of how I ' m feeling are unmistakenly there.
I guess I may have to wait a little longer for weight loss. Trying to be patient, LOL!!
I don ' t miss bread, grains, cakes, sugar, etc.. and enjoy my salads..
I did read about one woman who was on induction for 24 months ( pg 161 in the Atkins book ), just happy enough with the benefits of the lifestyle and happy for the weight loss to slowly take place.
Perhaps this will have to be me as well. I have done the blood sugar symptoms test in Atkin ' s book and definitely don ' t have any problems there..
Thanks for any replies.

No comments: