Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

Hi everyone - new here with a couple questions
Author
Message
javashred
New Member
Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 5
Bearings: San Ramon, CA
Mon Jun 23, 2008 11: 32 pm    Post subject: Hi everyone - new here with a couple questions
First off, I want to thank everyone on this board for all their insightful advice. It has made a huge difference having this board to come to if I have questions regarding Atkins.
I have been doing Atkins almost a week and am down about 5 lbs. I do cardio and lift weights and am feeling great. I am eating 2 - 3 cups of veggies a day, eating protein with every meal, and drinking a ton of water. The weight is coming off but I need have a couple questions.
1. Salami - I love the stuff! However, I bought some without rationalization it had nitrates. I also not knowingly bought bacon with nitrates and have been eating both all last week. I went to the grocery store today and could not find one salami or bacon product without nitrates! I was idealistic someone could clue me on how nitrates really affect weight loss on Atkins? I know nitrates are bad for you, but are they bad for weight loss?
2. Heavy cream - My goodness! I made some homemade whipped cream using splenda and heavy whipping cream and it has all told kept me sane! I have kept my intake to about 2 - 3tbps a day. Cream is on the diet but I also know it can stall some people. I am losing so should I keep the cream or lose it? If I cut it out, maybe I would loose more weight.
Thanks everyone for making this site so awesome!
Chris
karenjs
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 544
Position: San Jose
Tue Jun 24, 2008 12: 01 am    Post subject:
Hi javashred!
It sounds like you ' re doing great! Congrats on the five pounds! I ' m glad you ' re doing cardio and weights. That will keep your weight loss speeding along.
You don ' t need to cut out the heavy cream is it doesn ' t stall your weight loss. It ' s workaday during Induction because it helps your body get cued to burn fat instead of carbs.
The reason for limiting nitrites and nitrates is not because they interfere with your weight loss. They are suspected to be carcinogenic ( cancer - causing ). I still have hot dogs and sausages occasionally myself, but there are some things we should avoid to preventive our health, like limiting our intake of canned tuna because of mercury, and aspartame because of the health problems it can cause. So, it ' s allowed on Atkins, but use caution.
Marinewifeandmom
Noted Member
Joined: 11 Apr 2008
Posts: 138
Post: Camp Lejeune, NC
Tue Jun 24, 2008 12: 15 am    Post subject:
hey is the tuna in the packets alright? do they still work in mercury - dumb question from me but how does one make homemade whipped cream from heavy whipping cream that is atkins friendly? thanks!!!
javashred
New Member
Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 5
Whereabouts: San Ramon, CA
Tue Jun 24, 2008 12: 37 am    Post subject:
Thank you Karenjs! I will keep the heavy cream. It really is a life seaver when you want something sweet. I will get some more salami and eat it in limits rather than everyday. I will try and find some nitrate free salami in the meantime.
To the lady exceeding - How I make Atkin ' s friendly whipped cream is to get some heavy whipping cream and splenda. Add as much splenda as you like. With an electric handheld mixer, mix until it looks like whipped cream. Good stuff.
Marinewifeandmom
Admitted Member
Joined: 11 Apr 2008
Posts: 138
Where: Camp Lejeune, NC
Tue Jun 24, 2008 3: 12 am    Post subject:
thanks! really easy to do lol
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Stage: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Jun 24, 2008 11: 22 am    Post subject:
Use a cold metal bowl and you can whip one serving at a time with a scuttle, too! Try adding a little sf syrup to the cream first... that ' s how I made raspberry whipped cream. Mmmm mmmm good.
sanoukee
New Member
Joined: 20 Jun 2008
Posts: 13
Tue Jun 24, 2008 6: 41 pm    Post subject:
Marinewifeandmom wrote:
hey is the tuna in the packets alright? do they still include mercury - dumb question from me but how does one make homemade whipped cream from heavy whipping cream that is atkins friendly? thanks!!!
Practically all fish and shellfish contain traces of mercury, some moreso than others. Usually the older and bigger fish contain higher amounts of mercury. Unless you ' re a woman that is pregnant ( or trying to become pregnant in the near future ) or a young child, you shouldn ' t really worry too much about the mercury in fish, unless you eat a lot of fish.
karenjs
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 544
Location: San Jose
Tue Jun 24, 2008 7: 48 pm    Post subject:
Here ' s a good resource about mercury in fish:
http: / / www. americanheart. org / presenter. jhtml? identifier=3013797
Removing the skin and the outside fat lowers the amount of mercury you ingest.
Note that shark, lobster and swordfish have some of the highest levels of mercury.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Wed Jun 25, 2008 12: 08 am    Post subject:
I wondered what the FDA said about this and went looking...
" FDA allows up to 1 ppm and indicates that consumers can safely eat up to 7 ounces of fish containing 1 ppm methylmercury per week. "
And this about children and women of reproductive age:
" Something that is helpful in deriving safe consumption rates of mercury - containing fish is that EPA has recently published a revised methylmercury reference dose, based on human developmental effects. ( The reference dose is basically the amount of a chemical that a person can safely be exposed to every day for a lifetime. ) In Oregon, we apply EPA ' s revised reference dose ( 0. 1 microgram / kg / day ) to women of reproductive age, pregnant and nursing women, and young children. We continue to use the old methylmercury reference dose ( 0. 3 microgram / kg / day ) for the general population, as it is based on adult neurotoxicity.
Basically, the reference dose is used to calculate a safe intake rate of methylmercury. This is then divided by the average methylmercury concentration in the fish to derive a safe consumption rate of the fish. "
So for me... no longer having babies... I can have up to 7 oz of 1 ppm fish. The fish I eat most is tuna... with a low ppm of 0. 12 for light canned tuna I guess I won ' t worry about it. Even lobster, at 0. 31, I wouldn ' t worry about eating 6 oz or so. [ / icon_smile. gif]
Tril
Marinewifeandmom
Established Member
Joined: 11 Apr 2008
Posts: 138
Location: Camp Lejeune, NC
Wed Jun 25, 2008 2: 02 pm    Post subject:
so should i limit my intake of fish to a certain amount per week? i am of childbearing age and though we don ' t plan to have another one for a few years, we do still want to be able to do so then. I really like tilapia, salmon and tuna - and maybe once in a great while do i have lobster and / or crab ( only when i go to red lobsters ha ha which is rare ). i have been having some type of the fish i have listed at least 3 - 4 times a week is this too much? thanks!
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Wed Jun 25, 2008 3: 31 pm    Post subject:
This is what your limit, based on your age / future plans, should be:
0. 1 microgram / kg / day
So figure out what you weigh in kg, then multiply that by 0. 1 for your total per day, then X7 for your total per week. Look at the list of fish and their estimated ppm ( parts per million ). You can figure out what your limit is based on each source. The higher the ppm, the less you ' ll be able to eat.
Tril
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Wed Jul 02, 2008 9: 05 pm    Post subject:
I ' d like to take this opportunity to brag about being a guy.
I get to eat 4 servings of fish a week... twice the ladies safe servings..
Suhweeet.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Thu Jul 03, 2008 2: 11 am    Post subject:
Brag all you want... I ' m past child bearing so I can, too! [ / icon_wink. gif]
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Thu Jul 03, 2008 4: 32 am    Post subject:
Oh is it child bearing that keeps ladies from being able to eat the extra possible mercury? I always assumed it was the smaller body weight by average.

No comments: