Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

Yep... another newbie!
Author
Message
Beyond_Desparate
New Member
Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 2
Tue Jul 22, 2008 1: 45 pm    Post subject: Yep... another newbie!
Hey all!
Today is my first day on the diet. I currently weight 270 pounds and have tried everything else. I am a type 2 diabetic and my dr. recommended Atkins for me to get my sugars under control. He says I could possible control my diabetes and even maybe come off of meds if I would get my weight under control. I resisted for a long time because I am not a huge meat - eater face of chicken and turkey. But I will tailor I guess.
I guess this is kind of like they say an alcoholic has to hit rock bottom before seeking help. I hit my rock bottom with my weight when I realized I wasn ' t able to do as much with my kids as I wanted to because of my size.
So my big idea for being around is definitly recipes and support. I have browsed this forum for over a week now and decided I should definitely sign up because you all are so supportive of one another and I need that! So I am looking forward to getting to know you all and hopefully learn alot from you all.
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Footing: Wisconsin
Tue Jul 22, 2008 2: 55 pm    Post subject:
Welcome my friend.... this is where you will find your ability from your weight, your frustration, your meds and will find a new way.
Its compass that you cant buy with any kind of quick fix diet... this is where you ' ll finally realize some success and control over your health. Good luck mate, post up some menu ideas and we ' ll be here for hte help.
arsieiuni
Plain Member
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Posts: 125
Locality: Alabama
Tue Jul 22, 2008 2: 57 pm    Post subject:
Hi there! Nice to meet you and welcome aboard!
I just joined up a week ago when I started my diet and I ' ve already lost 7 pounds! The results in Atkins are VERY motivating! lol [ / icon_smile. gif]
So what ' s your goal weight? I ' m going for 145 at least, and then I ' ll see how my fat ratio looks. I ' m at 254 for we ' re definitely a similar size ( with probably similar goals right? ) and it ' s always great to know you ' re not alone!
We are definitely not alone here. This forum is full of wonderful support. [ / icon_smile. gif]
If you have questions just ask! People here are very friendly and knowledgeable!
Good luck!
Shei
stephani501
Confessed Member
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Posts: 133
Latitude: Seattle, Washington
Tue Jul 22, 2008 3: 56 pm    Post subject:
Welcome!
I started Atkins on June 8th at 291 pounds. Egads! That number is terrible for me! I have struggled with my weight for three years ever since I was in a strange occasion that immensely injured me and took the life of my boyfriend. I gained about 140 pounds and literally cut myself off from the world.
About a year ago I decided enough was enough and I began to try anything to lose weight. I have literally tried every diet from Weight Watchers to Medifast to even going vegan to get the weight off with minimal success each time. I would be " good " for two or so weeks and then have a major breakdown and binge eat until I could not move. I had gotten very adept at binge eating the last couple of years......
About three months ago, my friend started talking about Atkins and how he lost like 70 pounds. He persuaded me and a good friend of mine to do it with him, so we would have the support of each other. Well, we started Atkins on June 8th and I have been going strong ever since. I have started exercising again regularly, and I have totally started addressing and changing the reasons I eat, and how I use food.
I have lost 27 pounds and I feel fantastic. I am not going to tell you that it has all been so easy and carefree. I have had to literally talk myself down from wanting to use food as comfort when I have been stressed or upset. But the way that I feel is unbelievable! I have not felt this good in three years. Honestly. The energy I have is amazing and I am completely satisfied with the food choices that are available to me. I am so committed to changing my relationship with food and I feel like I have gotten control over my life.
I am sorry for writing a book, I just wanted you to know this way of eating works, and that there are people on this forum who will offer you support and advice if you just ask and I am here if you ever want to talk or vent. Just give it a chance and stick with it, even when it seems like you have to take it minute by minute ( like I have had to do at times ). You will really start to not only see not only positive changes on the scale, but you will start to feel them inside!
Good luck to you!
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Jul 22, 2008 4: 34 pm    Post subject:
Welcome, Beyond!!! So glad you found us!
And, I ' m sure you ' re going to hear this a lot... Atkins is NOT about eating meat. If you don ' t like red meat you do not have to eat it. Check out the protein lists on the Foods for Induction List ( http: / / lowcarbsite. com / forum / viewtopic. php? t=10970 ).
Think poultry ( chicken, turkey, game hens, duck, quail, ostrich, etc ), pork, fish and shellfish.... and of course, eggs! You never have to eat beef. [ / icon_wink. gif] What you DO have to eat is vegetables and good fats. Read that list and live by it for two weeks. The first 3 to 5 days will be the hardest as your body switches from burning glucose to burning fat for energy. Sometimes, people feel really bad... nauseousness, fatigue, headaches, lethargy. Just keep drinking the water, eating from the list, taking your multivitamin and hang in there. You ' re going to wake up one day ( usually during the first week ) and wonder how you EVER put up with feeling the way you thought was " normal ". It ' s SO worth it.
Good luck, ask questions and read read read!
When do you see your DR again? Most diabetics need to be watched carefully when they start low carbing... hope you ' re doing that!

No comments: