Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

I ' ve hit rock bottom.
Author
Message
KittyPeach
New Member
Joined: 16 Apr 2008
Posts: 5
Cement Apr 16, 2008 2: 48 am    Post subject: I ' ve hit rock bottom.
Hi everyone, I ' m new to the forum, and yes, as the title says, I ' ve hit rock bottom.
I have put it off going back on Atkins for three years now, but at my doctor visit on April 7th ( two Mondays ago ), I weighed in at 175 - my highest weight ever. ( I ' m 5 ' 1 ". ) The numbers themselves devastated me, but my blood sugar and other health problems I ' m experiencing has finally made me realize my weight and my life are out of control. [ / icon_cry. gif]
I started Atkins in Feb. 2004 and quickly lost 30 pounds. I was down to 127 - my high school weight - that September, when suddenly I stopped losing. I couldn ' t figure it out what was wrong, and I didn ' t feel very well, so I went to the doctor and discovered I ' d done nothing wrong on the diet - I was pregnant. A relative miracle, since I ' d been told 13 years earlier that I would never have any more babies, and that was after going through fertility treatments. Atkins had gotten me back in such good shape, I got pregnant on my own.
Well, once I found out I was pregnant, the doctor really got on my case about Atkins. There was a lot about it in the news at the time, and some doctors I ' ve noticed are less " Atkins friendly " than others. I knew not to be in ketosis while pregnant, but the doctor insisted I go off Atkins completely and go to a nutritionist, who in the end, upped my carbs. I didn ' t think too much of it at the time, my focus was on the pregnancy - which was great despite gestational diabetes. I had a healthy baby boy the following May, and soon he will be turning 3.
Once I had the baby, though, my way of eating wittily went to pot. I lost ALL the pregnancy weight right after delivery, but within 6 months I ' d gained back the entire 30 pounds. Here it is three years later, and I have put on... what? An further 20? 18 on top of that 30? Undesirable to say, I ' m pretty depressed about it.
At my last Dr visit, he pointed out my weight was contributing to the things going wrong with me: breakouts and other crazy skin problems, tired and sluggish, and juicy irritated. My daybook cycles are no longer regular either.
It may sound harebrained, but it took the doctor fussing at me to make me realize I ' m never going to feel better until I actually " do something " about why I ' m feeling so rotten. Of course, I ' ve known what was wrong with me for a while, but eh, what can I say... I ' m a stubborn old piece. * lol *
So here I am, back to square one. My goal is to lose from 175 to roughly 125 ( give or take a few pounds ) and continue it. Over the course of this week, I plan to reread the Atkins book. Revive myself on the free foods, etc. I also have to get rid of all the non - absolute foods in the house. ( Shouldn ' t be too hard with two kids - a toddler and a teenager - hanging around the house. lol )
Thanks for letting me share, and I hope to make lots of encouraging friends here. I couldn ' t have gotten so far as I did last time had it not been for the support of an Atkins forum.
[ / icon_wink. gif]
cherihill
Certified Member
Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Posts: 109
Direction: WEST TEXAS PANHANDLE U. S. A
Conjugate Apr 16, 2008 5: 16 am    Post subject: Welcome Gold
I know exactly how you are feeling. I am 5 ' 4 and had been carrying post pregnancy wieght of 180 - 175# for the past 4 years after the birth of my last child in 2004, which came as a surprise to me also. Not because I was infertile but but because I learned I was pregnant after 4 months of being on Atkins.. before this last pregnancy I tender maintained at 140 - 145# without diets or anything and at the time I was dieting on Atkins and also couldn ' t figure out what was keepn me from getting under 140#. Til 4 months later I was feeln ill and got checked in and was told I was 4 months pregnant.. Wow that a shocker.. And since the birth of my 4 year old I too had put off Atkins.. As of the last week of Feb 08, I too had hit rock Bottom. Sick n tired of feeln Fat and Tired. So I been on Atkins again since. I feel the lost is comming off much more slowly than my previous attempt but all in all I am feeling well its been 5 weeks and I took off one week and Cheated all week to learned I did not gain anything Yay. At the moment I am close to my first Goal 160#. My Dream Goal is 110.
So you are definitely not alone in this excursion and I am toppled at how similar our story is.. [ / icon_wink. gif] So Get on board Bread and WE CAn Do this [ / icon_biggrin. gif] [ / icon_biggrin. gif]
molley
Senior Member
Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 839
Station: VT
Pair Apr 16, 2008 3: 58 pm    Post subject:
welcome back then!
KittyPeach
New Member
Joined: 16 Apr 2008
Posts: 5
Thu Apr 17, 2008 12: 10 am    Post subject: Thanks for the welcome
Thanks for the welcome, ladies! I appreciate it very much. [ / icon_cool. gif]
Cheri, wow, that does sound extremely familiar. I stuck at around 140 for the longest time as well. I seemed to have no trouble maintaining for a looong time - like a year and a half, then suddenly I ballooned over that weight.
I ' m happy the weight won ' t be by much hard to take off. Last time, when I did induction, I lost 9 pounds. Goodness, I ' d love for that to happen again.
I went to the other thread and read your One Golden Chance, and I kind of fear what will happen once I get the freezer stocked with meets and veggies and purely get started. Our cases sound so similar. Over the past few days I ' ve been reading and more or less " watching carbs " until I go to buy groceries, and this morning noticed I ' d dropped 3 pounds. I ' m going to keep my fingers crossed!
Wad
cherihill
Known Member
Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Posts: 109
Location: WEST TEXAS PANHANDLE U. S. A
Thu Apr 17, 2008 3: 45 am    Post subject: Losing during Induction
Kitty yes our stories are strangely familiar.. This time around on Atkins during my 2weeks of Induction I lost 12lbs.. Just to give u some motivation.. It was losing after those 12 that seems to slow down alot. But I have started picking up the speed on losing again. I am posting a weekly post of my lost 1x perweek.. I notice alot of people don ' t use the scales daily. I find it helps me to so I can see whats going on everyday. And keeps me on track. I have lost a pound a day 3 days n a row.. So thats good news..
What is your goal weight and your height? And how long do u plan on staying on Induction?
WTG on the 3lb -.. [ / icon_wink. gif]
HardRuler
New Member
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 9
Wed Apr 30, 2008 7: 48 pm    Post subject:
Kitty it is time for a reality check.
Why do you suppose humans have digestive systems designed for digesting mostly a plant based diet?
Humans and our ancestors did not eat fried bacon and eggs every day the meat we did eat was very lean. We evolved to eat high fiber food rich in complex carbohydrates and not cancer causing processed foods like cheese and baccon.
Cheese and bacon do not occur naturally. If you want to eat healthy do what 92 yearold still can do 20 pull ups a day Jack La Lanne does. At 92 years of age he is in better shape than most 20 yearolds. He sure outlived Atkins.
HardRuler
New Member
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 9
Wed Apr 30, 2008 7: 55 pm    Post subject: Re: I ' ve hit rock bottom.
[quote= " KittyPeach " ]Hi everyone, I ' m new to the forum, and yes, as the title says, I ' ve hit rock bottom.
I have put it off going back on Atkins for three years now, but at my doctor visit on April 7th ( two Mondays ago ), I weighed in at 175 - my highest weight ever. ( I ' m 5 ' 1 ". ) The numbers themselves devastated me, but my blood sugar and other health problems I ' m experiencing has finally made me realize my weight and my life are out of control. [ / icon_cry. gif]
I started Atkins in Feb. 2004 and quickly lost 30 pounds. I was down to 127 - my high school weight - that September, when suddenly I stopped losing. I couldn ' t figure it out what was wrong, and I didn ' t feel very well, so I went to the doctor and discovered I ' d done nothing wrong on the diet - I was pregnant. A relative miracle, since I ' d been told 13 years earlier that I would never have any more babies, and that was after going through fertility treatments. Atkins had gotten me back in such good shape, I got pregnant on my own.
Well, once I found out I was pregnant, the doctor really got on my case about Atkins. There was a lot about it in the news at the time, and some doctors I ' ve noticed are less " Atkins friendly " than others. I knew not to be in ketosis while pregnant, but the doctor insisted I go off Atkins completely and go to a nutritionist, who in the end, upped my carbs. I didn ' t think too much of it at the time, my focus was on the pregnancy - which was great despite gestational diabetes. I had a healthy baby boy the following May, and soon he will be turning 3.
Once I had the baby, though, my way of eating simply went to pot. I lost ALL the pregnancy weight right after delivery, but within 6 months I ' d gained back the entire 30 pounds. Here it is three years later, and I have put on... what? An additional 20? 18 on top of that 30? Needless to say, I ' m pretty depressed about it.
At my last Dr visit, he pointed out my weight was contributing to the things going wrong with me: breakouts and other crazy skin problems, tired and sluggish, and easily irritated. My monthly cycles are no longer regular either.
It may sound ridiculous, but it took the doctor fussing at me to make me realize I ' m never going to feel better until I actually " do something " about why I ' m feeling so rotten. Of course, I ' ve known what was wrong with me for a while, but eh, what can I say... I ' m a stubborn old gal. * lol *
So here I am, back to square one. My goal is to lose from 175 to roughly 125 ( give or take a few pounds ) and maintain it. Over the course of this week, I plan to reread the Atkins book. Refresh myself on the free foods, etc. I also have to get rid of all the non - legit foods in the house. ( Shouldn ' t be too hard with two kids - a toddler and a teenager - hanging around the house. lol )
Thanks for letting me share, and I hope to make lots of encouraging friends here. I couldn ' t have gotten so far as I did last time had it not been for the support of an Atkins forum.
[ / icon_wink. gif][ / quote]
Atkins can mess up your hormones. All that hormone laden meat and dairy will mess you up. Xeno estrogens bind to the estrogen recpetors and cause estrogen dominance.
Low carb causes deydration and muscle loss. You liver shrinks because it loses all it ' s glycogen and that is why you feel weak and sluggish.
You will lose weight faster on low carb but most of it is water and muscle. The pro Atkins studies don ' t tell you that.
Atkins Corp is a multi billion juggernaut and they have major clout in putting out propaganda. They have never told the whole truth.
Eat the food that your body was designed for.
wheresmycoat
Senior Member
Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 322
Wed Apr 30, 2008 8: 23 pm    Post subject:
Kitty Peach,
Have a look at my thread I just posted called " Inspiration "
This is the right diet for you. Stay strong, ignore negative people / influences and keep your eye on the prize.
You ' ve done it before, you can do it again - - better than EVER!!
God bless [ / icon_cool. gif]
karenjs
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 544
Location: San Jose
Wed Apr 30, 2008 10: 50 pm    Post subject:
Hardruler has some kind of anti - Atkins agenda.
I ' d recommend skipping over his posts.
Congratulations, Cherryhill and Kittypeach! You ' re both doing great. Having a little one to chase after is great exercise too, isn ' t it? We have a 20 - month - old at our house and he ' s so much fun. I take him for walks and burn a lot of calories watching him explore the neighborhood.

No comments: