Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

2 weeks into atkins
Author
Message
naescyra
New Member
Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 17
Tue Jul 01, 2008 3: 51 pm    Post subject: 2 weeks into atkins
Well, i made the two week mark. I started this diet after my doctor suggested it as opposed to starting the stage of getting my insurance to approve a gastric bypass or lapband surgery. I told him I would give it a month.
I have to say Im rather sympathetic. Ive lost approximately 10 - 12 pounds. Im not very consistant as to when I weigh and what I ' m wearing when I weigh ( I dont really want to make it a routine and get hung up on it ). But at the doc ' s office I was 332 ( after breakfast, lunch and fully clothed with shoes ). At home this morning ( before breakfast, and in " pj ' s " ) I weighed in at 318. So, i fugure around 10 lbs so that I don ' t get too excited.
I made it past the soar throat issue with only slipping with a cup of milk ( wich tastes horrible now ), and a few sticks of sugarfree gum.
Miraculously, I seem to be cutting off the Diet Coke with little to no withdrawl symptoms. I was drinking over a liter per day before. Now I enjoy a glass every other day or so, or when we go out for dinner. And I dont suffer from headaches like I thought I would.
I even find it amazing that I look forward to my meals with the veggies. Lettuce never tasted as sweet as it does now. It ' s just mind boggling.
I still have an issue with breads and sweets though. I dont know that I would call it a craving, since I dont really crave the taste so much. I think its more of an emotional attachment to the stuff. I know that sounds sick. It ' s like all the happiness has been sucked out of my life. It ' s like a lonely feeling. Even though Im surrounded by my family. It ' s just creepy.
Now don ' t get me wrong. I also struggle with depression and I take meds for that, so I ' m not literally unhappy and I certainly feel better. I guess I just have to reprogram my mind and its association between breads / sweets and happiness. I hope this doesnt take too long.
Well, since I have a ton of weight to lose still, I guess its a long haul on induction for me. Two weeks down, seems like forever to go.
Lots of good advice and info on this board.
thanks
karenjs
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 544
Location: San Jose
Tue Jul 01, 2008 4: 38 pm    Post subject:
Congratulations, Naescyra! That ' s terrific!
And I ' m so glad to hear about a doctor recommending Atkins in place of surgery. I was considering the lap - band procedure before I started Atkins and I ' m happy that I did Atkins instead. I ' ve lost over 76 pounds and am no longer considered obese.
I think I understand what you mean by the emotional attachment to breads and sweets. For me, chocolate, sugar, cheetos and bread were what I used to make me feel better and to squash negative emotions, especially when I was lonely or anxious. Now, when I am tempted to use food to deal with emotions, I think about what I would say to someone who offered me cocaine because I was feeling bad. I ' d probably punch them in the nose. Sugar, flour and other high carb foods are just as dangerous for me. If I kept gaining weight as I was before Atkins, I would most certainly have developed diabetes and heart disease like my Mom did. She died when she was only 68. I want to live to be 98 and be active until then.
Isn ' t it great to be enjoying food that nourishes your body? There are so many different kinds of low - carb veggies, too. Try some you ' ve never eaten or that you haven ' t enjoyed before. I began eating brussels sprouts, lightly sauteed in garlic butter. Yum! My mom used to boil them and I hated them that way.
You ' re doing great, Naescyra! I ' m so glad you ' re here!

No comments: