Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

What does it take to " undo " ketosis?
Author
Message
naescyra
New Member
Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 17
Thu Jun 26, 2008 5: 20 pm    Post subject: What does it take to " undo " ketosis?
I ' m not strong on all the science behing the diet. But enough to know that it should work. What I dont know is how much can you mess up?
4th of July and my oldest son ' s birthday are coming up. The 4th shouldnt be too big a problem since I can eat most of the ordinary cookout stuff without the buns. However, If it doesnt mess things up too much I wouldnt mind splurging a bit and having a hamburger with bun.
And, If I eat a piece of cake on my son ' s birthday, how bad is that gonna set me back?
Im not looking for a green light to go and cheat on the diet every chance I get. The real question is IF I screw up, how much does it take to undo ketosis and have to start all over?
thanks
karenjs
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 544
Position: San Jose
Thu Jun 26, 2008 7: 49 pm    Post subject:
Hi Naescyra,
It ' s good that you ' re being honest with yourself and planning ahead.
Anytime you go off the program, you risk setting your weight loss back. However, you should be able to eat about 35 to 45 carbs before ketosis will stop. A slice of cake or a hamburger bun may have more carbs than that.
Could you limit yourself to a bite or two? The first bite always tastes the best anyway. How about throwing away the top of the bun and just eating the bottom?
For me, it works best if I don ' t cheat at all, ever. I tell myself that when I get closer to my goal weight, I can muster to add the foods that are not in my food plan today. It can be difficult to stop once you start eating high carb foods, because they can cause food cravings, trigger your hunger pains to start up again, etc.
You might want to fix some really yummy low - carb foods to take along for special events like that. Crustless quiche with crab or shrimp and Swiss cheese is really great. So is " Chinese Fried Rice " made with cauliflower instead of rice. There ' s no need to feel deprived.
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Post: Wisconsin
Mon Jun 30, 2008 5: 34 pm    Post subject:
The extensive poster is skirting the issue a bit, I think to be kind.
I ' ll be more blunt.
If you have cake, you will undo ketosis. Even in the remarkably unlikely option that you will NOT undo ketosis, you will undo the mental discipline needed on any diet. Any time you break with the diets rules, you are undermining all you work for. Instead of the cake, go for another brat, or burger if you are still hungry. It will do far less harm than a piece of cake.
For instance, 1 piece of chocolate cake with frosting is roughly estimated at 42 carbohydrates.
If you notch that up to cheesecake, you are looking at about 67 carbohydrates.
A hamburger bun is just bread. Bread sucks. Its just filler anyway.
A hamburger bun is 38 carbohydrates.
So no, don ' t eat the cake or the bun.
Atkins works for me because I love meat and cheese. I ' ve been on atkins for 4 years now, and for all of it I have maintained a maximum of 30 carbohydrates per day, usually more like 15. Not that that works for some people, but it works for me. Definitely however, you must stay away from foods that are NOT allowed on the diet. As soon as you give into a carb craving, you lose.
naescyra
New Member
Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 17
Sat Jul 05, 2008 5: 40 pm    Post subject:
Well, I made it through my son ' s birthday ( july 3 ) with no cake. My wife and I made some of that pumkin pudding stuff instead. The iceing on that cake was probably the biggest temptation I have faced yet. I just didnt look at it any more than necissary.
I made it through the 4th at my monster inlaw ' s house without any bread. Even under the emotional / mental strain of dealing with the worse inlaws you could possibly get, I didnt give in. The worse thing I faced was a simple habitual urge to pick at the chips or this and that. I stuck to the cucmber slices. Had a couple burgers with all the tremings ( no bun or dressing ) and a couple hotdogs. Treated myself to Diet Coke which I drank alot of. First, to help ease my nerves, and second, because I forgot they dont keep decent drinking water available. Those people make me feel like I ' m worthless so I had to keep reminding myself not to let them win and dive into the cake ( which we brought leftovers to get rid of ). lol
One more day to go. My family ' s get together is tonight ( July 5 ). I cooked up some of that mock fried rice to take to go along with their burgers. I ' m certain I will have no problems.
I checked this morning, Im still in ketosis and still losing. So it ' s paying off.
karenjs
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 544
Location: San Jose
Mon Jul 07, 2008 5: 03 pm    Post subject:
Good going! Dealing with in - laws is the pits! Sounds like you sailed through.
Substituting cucumber slices in place of potato chips was a great idea. They ' re about the same size and have the crunchiness factor too.
The mock fried rice is great. I bet the non - Atkins eaters would even enjoy it.

No comments: