Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

Just Started Induction!
Author
Message
leespot
New Member
Joined: 07 Jul 2008
Posts: 6
Mon Jul 07, 2008 1: 41 pm    Post subject: Just Started Induction!
Hey all, after a while reading the forums thought I would actually join in!
I actually started yesterday but here is todays menu:
Breakfast:
Scrambled Eggs ( 3 )
Bacon ( 3 slices )
Water ( 1 pint )
Lunch:
Omelette with Cheese, Buff & Ham ( 4 eggs )
Water
Dinner:
Grilled Chicken Breast Fillet ( topped with grated cheese )
Red / Green Peppers
Water ( I like water! )
Does this seem ok? I have looked around the forums but its always nice to get a indicator from someone who ' s already done it.
Oh, I also getting a different taste in my mouth, is that normal?
Thanks in advance.
Lee
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Spot: Wisconsin
Mon Jul 07, 2008 2: 04 pm    Post subject:
The different taste some people get... it ' s normal.
The ketones give a bad taste to some people.
As far as is the diet ok, lets dig else into it.
You have 7 eggs, so right off the bat thats give or take 7 carbs, depending on the egg size.
It ' s hard to tell how much cheese you are using with the eggs, are you tracking the ounces of the cheese? In the beginning week or so of induction, you want to be unquestionably certain to be hitting the mark on carbohydrates.
What type of bacon is it? regular bacon is solid, but watch those packages. Some of those SOB ' s cure their bacon with liberal amounts of sugars.
Sniffy regular bacon, I would estimate your breakfast to be 400 calories and 3 carbohydrates.
Pompous regular portions for an omelette at lunch, I would break it down as such.
625 calories - 10 carbs.
Thats conceited what appears to be a standard 2 oz of cheese and 2 oz of ham per omelette, plus the mushrooms.
Dinner is harder to guess. Most people eat an 8 oz portion for chicken or so. Given that assumption, I would estimate dinner to be about 550 calories and 4 carbs.
Is the chicken breast bought and cooked by you, or is it a prepared breast. If it is a prepared breast, add carbs for it, because they have to cure it in aligning to freeze it and sell it.
So a rough estimate would be 1575 calories and 17 carbohydrates. That ' s under the carb limit but only as an assumption. Are there additional items that are small and thus not listed? Have I underestimated or over estimated any portions? Those are significant items to consider, as well as hidden carbohydrates in things that are listed as 0.
leespot
New Member
Joined: 07 Jul 2008
Posts: 6
Mon Jul 07, 2008 2: 24 pm    Post subject:
Thanks for the reply!
The bacon is regular bacon - has a little label on that states " Nil Sugars ", so hopefully is ok.
The portions of cheese and ham are right - 2oz of each.
For dinner it will be a whole chicken fillet, cooked by myself. It ' s fresh meat and not frozen.
I ' m not a big peanut of salads though, so I will find that part hard. I do eat onions, mushrooms, peppers, chilli ' s, beansprouts etc.
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Footing: Wisconsin
Mon Jul 07, 2008 2: 27 pm    Post subject:
Well a whole chicken breast at my store is often 12 or more ounces, almost a pound, so you can add some calories to that. My guess is your probably pushing close to 2, 000 calories, which is ok in my opinion, because you will still be in ketosis, but if you could shave about 400 calories someday you would probably have a bit more of a caloric deficit and see more of a 2 or 3 pound a week weight loss.
A pound of fat is roughly 3500 calories so if you can get about a 500 calorie deficit a day thats 1 lb a week, plus the ketosis will help with that.
Watch the veggies as well.... some onions are full with sugars,,, peppers have lots of sugars as well.
Beansprouts I dunno about but the whole word bean in them scares the bejeesus out of me. Beans are a hella bad no no.
I love spinach. That ' s my stable, and to be honest, to hell with what the book says about spinach. I eat spinach like Popeye moved into my house and told me to eat it or die... and he ' s got a double o to my head.
Also don ' t read the front of the combination, read the labels on the back.
Some chickens, even fresh, have carbs from solutions they put in them. Read the label on the back of the bacon, Nil sugars doesn ' t mean anything. If it was soaked in sugars, it didn ' t actually have sugars " IN IT " and ergo they can list no sugars. Read the carb counter on the back, that ' s indeed 100 percent totally completely non negotiably utterly undeniably critical.
Without label reading, you will get a month plus into induction, see minimal changes, then read a label and go " OH WTF!!!!! YOU SOB ' S!!! "
Ive seen it.
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Station: Wisconsin
Mon Jul 07, 2008 2: 35 pm    Post subject:
Yeah I just looked up bean sprouts, unless I miss my guess they are grean beans. Yeah umm... throw those away. that ' s my opinion. Theres better things to spend your carbs on.
According to CalorieKing, 10 bean stalks equals 5 carbs, minus 1 gram of fiber for 4 total carbs.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Locality: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Mon Jul 07, 2008 2: 37 pm    Post subject:
Note down off the Induction foods list... there are more veggies on the " salad " list than lettuce. Eat those first ( about 2 cups raw measure per day )... then add the other veggies in smaller portions ( about 1 cup raw measure per day ). Keep your total net carbs from veggies in the 12 to 15 range. That will leave you a few carbs to spend on cheese, olives, avocado, sour cream / cream and lemon / lime juice each day.
Personally, I don ' t count the carbs in eggs. In the Atkins book eggs are included in the " eat liberally " protein list... no cipher to count them or limit them. You ' ll get sick of them before they could add up to much anyway. [ / icon_wink. gif] lol
Kyp was right ( how many times can I say that in one day??? ) about the bacon... not only should you watch the sugar grams ( i. e. carbs ) but we aren ' t supposed to eat bacon with nitrates, either. Check the ingredient list!
That taste you have in your mouth is a good sign that your body is switching over from using glucose to using ketones for energy. Ketones are what your body will use instead of glucose when you are in ketosis... extra ketones are excreted from your body in two ways, when you eject and through urine. So you ' re tasting ketones!
Hope this helps,
Tril
leespot
New Member
Joined: 07 Jul 2008
Posts: 6
Mon Jul 07, 2008 2: 37 pm    Post subject:
They ' re some big chicken breasts! [ / icon_eek. gif]
The whole carton I have weighs 650g / 23oz. There are four in it.
I buy the organic onions etc which should hopefully minimise the amount of sugars.
Yep the beansprouts have something like 0. 1 carb in a 100g of them. I know the name suggests they are a bean, but they ' re more like a expanded vegetable!
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Footing: Wisconsin
Mon Jul 07, 2008 2: 41 pm    Post subject:
Organic doesn ' t have anything to do with how much sugar is in the onions, what I ' m referring to is that onions have natural sugars in them.
The beans appear to be acceptable on atkins but meh... I ' d still toss em and find something better. Carbs are few and far between in the beginning and spinach is a better stuffing, as are others.
The indirect I have shows a quarter cup of fresh chopped onions as pumping out 5. 3 carbs. Subtract. 6 fiber and you have 4. 7 carbs there. I love onions too but just keep that in mind. It ' s a sugary sob.
leespot
New Member
Joined: 07 Jul 2008
Posts: 6
Mon Jul 07, 2008 3: 01 pm    Post subject:
I see what you mean about the organic veg.... I ' ll limit the amount of onions etc.
I ' ve checked out the foods list in the induction section, there are plenty I can eat on there! Happy days.
Thanks very much for the info so far!
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Post: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Mon Jul 07, 2008 3: 16 pm    Post subject:
" Without label reading, you will get a month plus into induction, see minimal changes, then read a label and go " OH WTF!!!!! YOU SOB ' S!!! "
Ive seen it. "
I get the feeling you saw it in a resound. [ / icon_wink. gif]
Onions are on the " other " veggie list ( higher in carbs ) and should be eaten more carefully. I use them for flavor or garnishing, NOT as a veggie with my protein.
Bean sprouts are on the same list as onions... the " other " veggie list. You might consider buying alfalfa or radish sprouts instead. Bean sprouts are similar in taste to alfalfa sprouts... just sprouted seeds. I looked up the nutrition info and found alfalfa and radish... both are 1 gram carb, 1 gram fiber per cup. So, really... 0 carbs!!! These make a great addition to salads, IMO.
This is the site I use often to get counts: http: / / www. nutritiondata. com /
Tril
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Locality: Wisconsin
Mon Jul 07, 2008 3: 19 pm    Post subject:
I crashed a panel van into an alfalfa field once... that ' s the subsequent I ever came to eating it.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Mon Jul 07, 2008 3: 21 pm    Post subject:
LOL!
Queena
Established Member
Joined: 02 May 2007
Posts: 41
Location: Quebec Canada
Tue Jul 08, 2008 8: 40 pm    Post subject:
Hi there,
I just decided to start with the induction pharse of the program. I am 219lbs and would like to lose 69lbs. Any tips, support and challenges would be appreciated!
I am so tire of this weight! I really need help!
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Jul 08, 2008 9: 01 pm    Post subject:
Well you came to the right place... seems someone is always around to lend an ear or make a suggestion. Have you read the book? Read the website? Made a plan for starting... like grocery shopping and picking a start day?
Welcome to the forum and good luck!
Tril
Queena
Established Member
Joined: 02 May 2007
Posts: 41
Location: Quebec Canada
Tue Jul 08, 2008 9: 40 pm    Post subject:
My goodness, I did not expect a response! at least not a quick one. I read the book a long time ago, I have been all over the website. I am ready to start today with dinner. I am having filet mignon with steam brocolli for dinner. Is it wise to start at dinner? Why not! procratination have never been a friend. I have already did the grocery. I cannot remove all the carbs from my house because I am the only one that is fat in my family.
I will take any advice! I really need it!
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Jul 08, 2008 10: 33 pm    Post subject:
Can I come for dinner??? Sounds really good!! [ / icon_smile. gif] Actually, I had dinner already... I had " burger in a bowl ". It ' s a hamburger with all the toppings eaten in a bowl with fork. Very satisfying... I use a tsp of yellow mustard, 1 tsp low sugar ketchup and splenda sweetened relish. Tonight I also added four mushrooms, 1 green onion and 1 / 8 red pepper to the pan while I cooked the burger patty. And I added a slice of cheese to it. Filet mignon still sounds better, though. LOL
I can ' t remove all of the " non - Tril " food from my house, either. It ' s just not an option as I am, also, the only person with a weight issue. [ / icon_rolleyes. gif] Only " girl " in the family, too, for that matter. So with a dh and two boys ( 19 and 21 ) eating here often, I just have to deal with the ice cream, cake, cookies, crackers, etc etc etc that will always be a part of my kitchen. But you know what? That ' s life outside my house. If I can LIVE around that stuff it won ' t be so tempting when I ' m exposed to it elsewhere I figure. And so far, that ' s been the case.
Let ' s see.. advice... one thing. In the beginning, write everything down and keep an accurate carb count. It ' s really easy to underestimate a serving size ( say of cheese ) and end up eating way more carbs than you think you have. If you ' re writing it down it forces you to really think about what you ' re putting in your mouth... and you learn carb counts on foods. That will come in handy when you can ' t " look it up ".
I love your line about procrastination not being a friend. OH so true! lol
Good luck tomorrow!!! Check in often!
Tril
karenjs
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 544
Location: San Jose
Tue Jul 08, 2008 10: 46 pm    Post subject:
Welcome, Queena!
My best tip would be to keep to the Acceptable Foods list during Induction and do not cheat, even once! No matter what!
Once you are through Induction, your body will have switched to a fat - burning metabolism and you will have fewer cravings and very little hunger and much more energy.
It is totally worth the short - term restrictions of Induction.
Queena
Established Member
Joined: 02 May 2007
Posts: 41
Location: Quebec Canada
Wed Jul 09, 2008 3: 25 am    Post subject:
Thanks you so very much,
I actually wanted to cheat tonight thinking that there is always TOMORROW! Then I read the post and realize that there are other people out there cheerleading me on. Yes I will actually start to monitor my carb intake starting tomorrow morning!
What is anyones take on coffee? I read that you can have it and other places you can not. Is fresh lemonade sweeting by splenda be a problem? What about exercise? I am a stay home mother and I homeschool my kids, when can I exercise or should I be careful because of the initial affect that induction have on the body.
I also have carbs all around me, I have a 7, 5, 3 and a newborn. The children would be force into an old fashion mutiny if I eliminate all carbs.
I just read that I can be on atkins while breastfeeding if I am taking supplements. I brought this multi - vita called " Vitality Gold " and it specialize for the female body. I am actually looking forward to this. I have never had this kind of support. Thanks a whole bunch!
karenjs
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 544
Location: San Jose
Wed Jul 09, 2008 3: 50 am    Post subject:
Oh oh, you said the magic word. Breastfeeding. Dr Atkins said that the weight loss phases of Atkins are not appropriate for pregnant women or nursing mothers. Where did you read that it would be ok?
So, you can do the Maintenance phase if you want, but do not limit your carbs like you would on the other phases of Atkins. Your baby needs them.
Queena
Established Member
Joined: 02 May 2007
Posts: 41
Location: Quebec Canada
Wed Jul 09, 2008 4: 30 am    Post subject:
Not a problem, I was wondering about that! I read it from one of the Atkins article. I must have miss understand them. I will do the maintain part of the diet until my little one is off. I hope that I can continue to be part of the forum, even if my carb intake is a little higher.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Wed Jul 09, 2008 11: 00 am    Post subject:
Of course you can stay!!!
I found a post by an Atkins Nutritionist ( yes, someone who works there ) on BFing:
" Breast Feeding and ketosis
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I can certainly understand your confusion.
I followed the maintenance phase of Atkins while breast feeding and during pregnancy.
The reason for this is because the only studies that observe ketosis in pregnancy or bresat feeding are in uncontrolled diabetics who are in ketoacidosis, not the same thing as ketosis.
There are NO studies that show the safety of burning ketones and its effect on babies ( either in utero or breast feeding ). We do know that ketones are found in breast milk. Babies may have a different threshold of tolerating ketones than adults, maybe not, but I ' m sure you do not want your child to be the guinea pig!
I am very comfortable with ketosis and fat - burning but I did not want to subject my children to an unkown factor that " might or might not be harmful ".
Because we do not have long term studies validating the safety of ketones as a source of energy for babies, we cannot recommend following a ketogenic ( Atkins ) during this time of your life.
It is possible that you lose weight following the maintenance phase of Atkins however it is not recommended to follow any weight loss plan during this time because you need the energy / nutrients while breast feeding.
Keep in mind that you will not breast feed for the rest of your life. So when you stop feeding, you can go back on Induction.
I am not aware of the interview with Dr. Atkins that you posted and will look into this further.
Thank you both for bringing up such an important topic of discussion. "
So the Atkins ' people advice against being in ketosis while BFing because ketones do pass into the breastmilk and no one knows for sure how or if an infant can handle them. I ' m sure, way back when, that humans were in ketosis ( if only starvation or seasonal induced ketosis ) and BF their babies. That doesn ' t mean it ' s ok or optimal... but I ' m sure it happened.
Personally, I wouldn ' t BF while in ketosis because I wouldn ' t want to be betting on my child ' s health that it was the best thing to do. Err on the side of caution when it comes to your baby is my way of thinking. Of course, I wouldn ' t BF, either. [ / icon_wink. gif] LOL
Tril
Queena
Established Member
Joined: 02 May 2007
Posts: 41
Location: Quebec Canada
Wed Jul 09, 2008 3: 31 pm    Post subject:
Thank you so much for the information, I really must have miss read the information, I will try to find the article and show it to you all, It was a Q&A site for Atkins. Of course I would not want to jeopadize the health of my little one. I came up with this solution and stay on low carb: Add berries, yogurt, nuts, cut down on the fat, increase my veggies and water and maybe a little bit of oatmeal. make sure that I cut down on salt and refine sugar.
I guess like anyone else that battle with their weight after giving birth we are in a hurry to see it off. I do not know how many time I cried because none of my cloth fit. I feel like I have fat hanging everywhere, and I have more rolls than a dunkins donuts. I told my husband about how un - attractive I felt and his response was " I married you at this weight, so you are still beautiful no matter what. " I was so mad at him that I wanted to punch him on the nose. I wanted him to see what I saw. But this poor man is so in love that he sees my heart rather than my size. Got to love him! This is a man that was a body - builder! Anyway tell me what you think about my plan. [ / u]
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Wed Jul 09, 2008 3: 45 pm    Post subject:
It sounds like South Beach Phase 2! Which is great for pg and nursing moms. Go for it!
Tril

No comments: