Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

Frustration
Author
Message
treacletart
New Member
Joined: 26 Jun 2008
Posts: 27
Location: England
Tue Jul 01, 2008 5: 53 am    Post subject: Frustration
I have just got on the scales this morning and I appear to have put on two pounds! I just don ' t understand why. I have been eating only atkins inductions foods and have been having my three meals a day with over 2 litres of water everyday. I haven ' t been doing a huge amount of excercise but some. I haven ' t been eating too much cheese.
Why are my scales going up????
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Spot: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Jul 01, 2008 11: 30 am    Post subject:
It could be lots of things... none of which have anything to do with gaining FAT.
Why don ' t you give us a list of what you ' re eating today. Everything... and amounts. Maybe we can spot something.
Even when we do everything " right " the scale only weighs what you put on it... it can ' t tell you what it is ( water, misspend, bone, muscle, etc ). Fluctuations, while frustrating and discouraging, are NORMAL during weight loss. Hang in there... post what you ' re eating and let ' s see what tomorrow brings.
Tril
stephani501
Notorious Member
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Posts: 133
Locale: Seattle, Washington
Tue Jul 01, 2008 3: 20 pm    Post subject:
I was so frustrated last week because the scale was not moving, and I was feeling discouraged. I was sure that I was doing something wrong. I decided to just hang in there and keep doing what I was doing, because this is not a diet for me, I really want to change my similarity with food and get healthy. I committed to staying with it because I have not done so in the past.
Well, the scale moved finally, and more importantly I lost 3 1 / 2 inches off of my waist! I know it is hard sometimes, but if you just put one foot in front of the other and take it day by day, it will happen.
Hang in there, and keep reading this site. It has definitely helped me and given me hope when I needed it.
karenjs
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 544
Location: San Jose
Tue Jul 01, 2008 4: 22 pm    Post subject:
Hi TT,
It ' s frustrating, I know. It would be great if the scale gave us consistent positive feedback for our efforts. Sometimes it doesn ' t, but there are other signs that what we are doing is making a difference. Take note of how your clothes are fitting, see what your energy level is doing. Have you taken your measurements? They will be going down. Doing Atkins will improve your blood sugars and cholesterol over time, too.
It could just be the scale malfunctioning also. I bought a doctor ' s scale ( with the weights that move across a metal bar at eye level ) because my digital scale gave wildly different results within five account! The typical bathroom scale can show different weights because of changes in temperature, humidity, where you are standing on the scale, the softness of the surface it is resting on, or just practical or electronic variation. Most of the time, the scale manufacturer guarantees the scale to be accurate plus or minus two pounds. So if it ' s off by two pounds, the manufacturer considers it working fine!
You know about the whoosh fairy, right? If you ' ve been following Atkins strictly, your body could be holding onto some water to replace the fat you ' ve burned up in your cells. At some point, your body gives up the water and you ' ll find that the scale registers two or more pounds lost in a single day. Of course, the fat was burned over more than one day, but your body just released the water in one day. So, whoosh, you ' re down two pounds.
I ' m glad you ' re committed to sticking with it. You ' ll be delighted that you did!
treacletart
New Member
Joined: 26 Jun 2008
Posts: 27
Direction: England
Tue Jul 01, 2008 5: 23 pm    Post subject:
i thought i would post a food diary so you can advise me if you think that something is wrong.
Monday breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with smoked salmon cooked in a switch of butter
Monday lunch: Large prawns ( about 15 )
Monday snack: 3 slices of chorizo and 2 slices of leerdammer
Monday supper: Bolognese made with garlic, onion, olive oil, mushrooms, tinned tomatoes and tomato puree concentrate, herbs and a touch of red wine ( just a little bit ). And broccoli.
Tuesday breakfast: chorizo and leerdammer
Tuesday lunch: left over Bolognese
Tuesday snack: one kabanos sausage. Slice of ham
Tuesday supper: smoked mackerel with salad consisting of little gem lettuce, red pepper, spring onions, mushroom and tomato.
How does this sound?
I also drink green tea and my 2 litres + of water throughout the day. In the morning I have 1 decaff coffee with a touch of cream and sometimes one Splenda.
Eggs seem to be my normal breakfast.
I really want to stick with this and have now cut out alcohol. I was drinking the odd glass in the beginning and still lost 3 pounds but then it stopped coming off.
Do I HAVE to exercise everyday to see a reduction in weight
I must admit that my stomach does not rumble at all and it doesn ' t have that hollow feeling that WW leaves me with.
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Tue Jul 01, 2008 5: 29 pm    Post subject:
Watch the prawns. I am willing to bet each one of those prawns is a single carb. Just at a glance I would estimate monday carbs as at least 25.
treacletart
New Member
Joined: 26 Jun 2008
Posts: 27
Location: England
Tue Jul 01, 2008 7: 32 pm    Post subject:
Really??? I had no idea prawns were high in carbs. that is a shocker to me as I thought I could have as many as I wanted.
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Tue Jul 01, 2008 8: 09 pm    Post subject:
one of the things i eat in quantity is seafood, but I avoid shrimp and prawns. I dont know what size prawns you are using, but my roommate is a manager of a local fresh seafood store, and we get food at criminal prices because of it.
Salmon at 3 dollars a pound, yummy.
Anyway, the Large size shrimp have roughly 1 carb per shrimp, and unless your eating a type of prawn that I don ' t know about, prawns are bigger than shrimp even.
Shellfish meat has carbohydrates in it, thats why I avoid scallops.
bluehex
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Dec 2003
Posts: 2663
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Tue Jul 01, 2008 8: 31 pm    Post subject:
I don ' t know where your information came from, Kyp, but US Department of Agriculture says there are no carbs in cooked shrimp: http: / / www. nal. usda. gov / fnic / foodcomp / cgi - bin / list_nut_edit. pl and very little in raw: http: / / www. nal. usda. gov / fnic / foodcomp / cgi - bin / list_nut_edit. pl ( don ' t ask me why the difference, I have no idea ). Seafood which should be eaten in controlled quantities are oysters and clams.
Maybe you ' ve been missing on very good food for no reason?
Treacletart, your menu looks pretty good - if I wanted to be VERY picky, I ' d say there might have been a bit too much tomato ( tomato puree has more carbs, I think, than natural tomatos, plus some brands add sugar ).
Looks like you ' ll just have to be patient - maybe there is some reason for you to retain water? It happens before TOM or after certain foods. You may also lose inches but not pounds, it is very common. Usually you lose weight in alternating periods of losing fat OR inches, but seldom both at the same time.
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Tue Jul 01, 2008 8: 51 pm    Post subject:
Oh there are carbs in shrimp.... most definitely.
I ' m at work and limited where I can go to net wise, but carb - counter dot org worked.... and they show carbs in shrimp. Not a ton, but we don ' t know the size of these shrimp being eaten. 15 shrimp that are each an ounce or bigger is getting on about 1 lb of shrimp, and that ' s guaranteed to have carbs attached.
If they are as big as the prawns at the seafood store, they ' re about an ounce per... which would equate to about 420 grams of food, and that would be roughly 6 carbs without any seasonings, so less than I had anticipated, but still not a 0.
If they end up being fake prawns made from other materials, that number skyrockets. Are they fresh?
Also you may want to switch out to another onion,,, some onions have a pretty high sugar content.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Jul 01, 2008 10: 15 pm    Post subject:
I went comparing... most sites say shrimp / prawns have 0 carbs. BUT, I found one ( about. com ) that showed 3 oz ( 85g ) of SUSHI GRADE shrimp as having 0. 8 grams of carb. That ' s the only one I could find that showed any carbs at all.
So I kept looking for one comparable to prawns, and found Super Colossal Raw Zipperback Shrimp with 3 shrimp weighing in at 136 grams and 0 g carb.
Ok... I took this one even further, looking for " hidden " carbs.
3 colossal shrimp = 90 calories
Nutrition info for this serving:
protein 20 g X 4 cal / g = 80 cal
fat 0. 7 g X 9 cal / g = 6. 3 cal
Together that ' s 86. 3 for a differnce of 3. 7 calories unaccounted for... if we assume that only nutrient not accounted for is the carbs, that means the carbs in this serving of colossal shrimp is <1 gram ( 1 g carb = 4 cal ). HOWEVER, if you eat a whole POUND that would be 5. 3 servings and 5. 3 times 3. 7 = 19. 6. Divide that by 4 ( cal per g of carb ) and you ' ve got 4. 9 carbs per pound of raw shrimp.
If nothing else, this should be a lesson in portion control. LOL
And before you ask, YES, I was bored.
[ / icon_wink. gif]

No comments: