Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

Nuts
Author
Message
treacletart
New Member
Joined: 26 Jun 2008
Posts: 27
Situation: England
Thu Jun 26, 2008 8: 13 am    Post subject: Nuts
Hi Everyone. So I am new to Atkins and am wondering about nuts. How many are we actually allowed to eat in a day?
I have been gigantic around 161 lbs for the last 4 days and consternation if the nuts are stalling me?
Also, i have been having a few vodka and slimline tonics - as I cannot seem to go without alcohol for two weeks or more ( that sounds bad doesn ' t it? ). I am getting married in October and have just bought my wedding clothing. I need to lose 10 lbs or so, so that it fits nicely and doesn ' t get stuck on my hips and make me look pregnant.
I really hope this works for me. So far I am not hungry at all, but I do miss things and feel deprived when my boyfriend eats crisps and bread in front of me. However, I am being strong - apart from the Vodka.
I have been reading this site for a few weeks now and I am very into by the support people give and get. It has really inspired me to give this a proper go. [ / icon_smile. gif]
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Direction: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Thu Jun 26, 2008 10: 38 am    Post subject:
Hello and welcome!!
I ' ll give your questions a go...
Since you said you were new to Atkins I ' ll assume you ' re still on Induction. If that ' s true the answer to the nut question is easy... it ' s NONE. Nuts are not allowed in Induction. You don ' t actually get those back for awhile.
" Once you start this phase, you'll increase your daily carb intake from Induction's 20 grams a day up to 25 grams during your first week of OWL. During week two of OWL, you can consume 30 grams of Net Carbs per day – and so on. "
" Below, in the order of acceptance is the plain list. "
1. Vegetables
2. Fresh cheeses
3. Nuts and Seeds
4. Berries
5. Alcohol ( oftentimes wine & other spirits low in carbs )
6. Legumes
7. Fruits ( other than berries )
8. Starchy vegetable
9. Whole grains
" http: / / atkinsalltheway. com / wiki / index. php / OWL_Carb_Ladder "
Once you get through two weeks of Induction AND the frist two weeks of OWL, you can add a total of 5 grams of net carbs from seeds and nuts PER DAY. How many nuts / nut butters / seeds that will be depends on the variety of nut you convene. At that point you will be eating 40 carbs a day.
Now... again... the answer about alcohol is easy. It ' s NONE. You don ' t get that back until the 5th week of OWL. At least 7 weeks from now. It ' s often the food / drink that " I cannot seem to go without " that ' s the biggest stumbling block to weight loss. You should know that when your body is metabolizing alcohol it is NOT using glucose OR fat for energy... it puts weight loss on PAUSE every minute you have alcohol in your system. I read that 2 to 3 drinks can put the average woman out of fat burning for 8 to 10 hours. Do that 3 times a week and you ' ve lost a whole day out of the week to metabolizing alcohol, not fat. There are 15 weeks til the first weekend in October... that means you ' d lose more than 2 weeks of weight loss opportunity.
If I were you, I ' d start over completely. Go here http: / / lowcarbsite. com / forum / viewtopic. php? t=10971 and read the rules of Induction. Then here http: / / lowcarbsite. com / forum / viewtopic. php? t=10970 for the list of foods you can eat. Remember, if it ' s not this list, you can ' t have it for two weeks. At least. The FAQ on this site ( go the main index and scroll down ) has excellent information... spend some time there.
Hope this helps and that you ' re able to lose those 10# by October!!! You ' re so smart to start now!!!! [ / icon_smile. gif]
Tril
treacletart
New Member
Joined: 26 Jun 2008
Posts: 27
Location: England
Thu Jun 26, 2008 11: 40 am    Post subject:
thanks Tril. i know you are right. My willpower is obviously not as strong as yours!!
I am going to re - think the nuts for a while!
I just have a problem with what to have for lunch as I am in the office and can ' t cook. I get sick of having tuna salad and not much else tickles my fancy.
The evening is the easiest part of the day because I enjoy cooking and am happy to make new dishes.
Breakfast is easy as I normally have eggs - love ' em!
so what to take for lunch? hmmm..... something that doesn not need cooking from stratch
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Thu Jun 26, 2008 11: 59 am    Post subject:
Once you get yourself into ketosis you won ' t NEED willpower. It ' s a natural appetite suppressant. [ / icon_smile. gif]
A lunch suggestion that works for many people is to take dinner leftovers. Make enough at night for you to have for lunch the next day. If you can ' t reheat it, many things are just as good cold... like chicken and beef.

No comments: