Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

Cholesterol levels
Author
Message
julie61
New Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2008
Posts: 26
Tue Apr 22, 2008 8: 17 pm    Post subject: Cholesterol levels
I had some routine blood work done and my cholesterol level has gone up 70 points since last year! I don ' t know what to do because I thought that the Atkin ' s diet helped to bring down cholesterol levels. The nurse said to add more fruits and veggies to my diet but I ' m terrified that I ' ll gain back pounds and inches. Any advice?
karenjs
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 544
Whereabouts: San Jose
Thu Apr 24, 2008 8: 10 pm    Post subject:
My bad cholesterol actually went down after Atkins, but it ' s possible for it to go up. The revised edition of the Atkins book recommends avoiding fried foods and using olive oil instead of other fats like butter or margarine when possible. I ' d definitely add more vegetables gradually, but stick to the low - carb variety. I ' m taking in about 40 carbs per week at this stage, and still losing. I now eat about 2 cups of vegetables and a cup of fruit every day. I only eat berries, cantalope and other fruit that is relatively low carb though.
Exercise also influences your cholesterol levels, especially raising your good cholesterol.
firelady
Senior Member
Joined: 20 Aug 2003
Posts: 1506
Fri Apr 25, 2008 8: 44 pm    Post subject: hi
My cholesterol is very low ( LDL is 40; hdl is 3[ / icon_cool. gif]. It has been slightly higher but since this diet it has gone down. I do eat a lot of fiber ( flax seed meal for breakfast cereal and in many things I cook and bake ). Nuts are also good. I also eat lots of dark green veggies ( arugula and other salad greens ), broccoli and tons of cauliflower. I also do eat berries. The advice to eat olive oil is a good one as is to eat fish and fish oil supplements. Fried foods have bad fats and might increase cholesterol.
A large factor in your response to diet is genetic. Everyone should adjust to their own needs.
Other things that lower cholesterol include cinnamon, avocados, blueberries, olives ( and olive oil ), wine and sugar free active yogurt.
Good luck.

No comments: