Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

When do we move to OWL?
Author
Message
arsieiuni
Received Member
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Posts: 125
Latitude: Alabama
Append Jul 30, 2008 6: 54 am    Post subject: When do we move to OWL?
I got the Atkins book today and I ' m reading it. ( Dr Atkins ' New Diet Revolution ) and it seems like he means us to only be on Induction for 2 weeks no matter how much weight we need to lose and then we go to OWL. is that true?
Am I misunderstanding?
I have been on induction for 2 weeks plus now. Should I move to OWL or should I stay on Induction?
A possible key note in the answer is that I want to lose my weight more than I want to retrieve the bent to eat different foods. My weight loss is top priority!
But I need to know this because I don ' t wanna hurt myself but being on Induction too long.
Just a clarification please!
Thanks!
Shei
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Setting: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Annex Jul 30, 2008 10: 54 am    Post subject:
The diet was designed so that Induction was only 2 weeks long... long enough to INDUCE ketosis in most people and time enough for an encouraging weight loss, inasmuch as the name Induction. However, keep reading and you ' ll see that he says it ' s ok to continue in Induction longer if you want. He also says in there that you shouldn ' t stay in Induction past the 1 / 2 way mark to goal. At that point you move into OWL and start to learn to eat different carbs... and prepare yourself / body for Pre - Maintenance... which prepares you for Maintenance. His plan / diet is designed so if you succeed the steps, you ' ll have the learning and skills to KEEP IT OFF. If you come screeching into your goal weight at Induction level what will you do? Live this way boundless? Try to figure it out then? That ' s kinda like getting a job as a captain and then taking flying lessons. [ / icon_rolleyes. gif] OWL and P - M are important steps to take. Avoiding them will only hurt you in the long run. Yes, maybe you ' d get " skinny " faster on 20 carbs a day... but the chances are not in your favor that you ' ve learned how to keep it off. Try to look at your weight loss journey as the time to learn how to live thin. It ' s not just the time to GET thin...
Tril
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Wed Jul 30, 2008 1: 54 pm    Post subject:
I ' d like to add that staying on induction for X period of time isn ' t going to PHYSICALLY hurt you, more that what the point is that for most people stepping off induction is something they need to do in the prepared phases in order to train themselves how to live atkins as a sustainable lifestyle.
It ' s not physically dangerous to be on induction for a month or so or three... if it were, rest assured there would be no Atkins diet, and his wikipedia page would be a testimony to the deaths he caused. No. theres nothing unsafe about being on induction for more than 2 weeks, I would not be concerned.
Last time I stayed on it for the first 70 lbs of my weight loss, then chipped away at the last 40 or so a bit more slowly in OWLS. That took me several months.
arsieiuni
Established Member
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Posts: 125
Location: Alabama
Wed Jul 30, 2008 4: 40 pm    Post subject:
Thanks guys!
Seeing as I have 112 left to lose, I should stay on Induction longer, right? I would probably stay til I have only 50 left or so? Right?
Thanks for always being here for me with answers! I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing right now!
Shei
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Wed Jul 30, 2008 5: 31 pm    Post subject:
I think the 50 percent number is bs. Considering most people lose about 1 lb or so a week in OWL, I would PERSONALLY take induction until you had about 25 or so lbs left to lose.
Stepping off induction with 55 lbs left to lose means an entire year of 1lb a week.
For my personal opinion, a year of being still 50 lbs over target goal is extreme. I always modified it to be about 70 percent or so before I started modifying my diet.

No comments: