Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

excess skin
Author
Message
Old Misery
New Member
Joined: 07 Jul 2008
Posts: 15
Stage: Raleigh, NC
Mon Jul 14, 2008 7: 18 pm    Post subject: excess skin
I ' m sure there are a variety of conditions that have an effect on this but, would someone give me their opinion - I want to go from 252 to 175 ( in about 6 months I ' m sunny ) will I have excess skin? If so how bad? Thanks for the help!
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Situation: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Mon Jul 14, 2008 7: 42 pm    Post subject:
I ' m sure you ' re expecting an answer like this... but it will depend on many factors.
Things like:
Age
How long you were overweight
Your hightest ever wt
Your body type
Where your fat was ( belly or hips or spread out )
Your underlying muscle tone
Speed of wt loss
Other things we can ' t predict elastin in your skin
Sorry... no way to really know.
Old Misery
New Member
Joined: 07 Jul 2008
Posts: 15
Spot: Raleigh, NC
Mon Jul 14, 2008 8: 00 pm    Post subject: answers
I ' m 31 and 252lbs is my highest weight. I have been steadly gaining weight for ten years from 190lbs to 252. my body type is kindof thick normally. My fat is chiefly in the belly ( I ' m a 42 " waist ) and the rest all over. I ' m pretty strong and do resistance training ( lift weights ) 3 times a week. I want to drop 70lbs in 6 months. Thanks for your input! Aaron
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Post: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Mon Jul 14, 2008 8: 11 pm    Post subject:
I would say that you have a small risk of having excess skin. You ' re on the fence age - wise. But with a larger body type and exercise you ' re blessed. I ' d say the only area you might have issues with is your belly. But then there are men who lose a very large belly and they ' re ok. I guess, really, only time will tell.
And heck, there are women who have babies and still get a flat stomach afterwards. Not many... but some. [ / icon_wink. gif] THAT certainly gives the belly a good stretch! LOL
Tril
Ron Vermeil
New Member
Joined: 04 Jul 2008
Posts: 29
Situation: Ireland
Mon Jul 14, 2008 8: 32 pm    Post subject: Re: answers
Old Misery wrote:
I ' m 31 and 252lbs is my highest weight. I have been steadly gaining weight for ten years from 190lbs to 252. my body type is kindof thick normally. My fat is principally in the belly ( I ' m a 42 " waist ) and the rest all over. I ' m pretty strong and do resistance training ( lift weights ) 3 times a week. I want to drop 70lbs in 6 months. Thanks for your input! Aaron
Aaron what height are you, you are almost same weight and age as me. With a similar goal in mind!!! in 244 at the moment and am 5 9
Old Misery
New Member
Joined: 07 Jul 2008
Posts: 15
Direction: Raleigh, NC
Mon Jul 14, 2008 8: 49 pm    Post subject:
Mr. Pink, that ' s so strange! I ' m 5 ' 7 " and my current weight is 242! ( check my progress post if you want to see my progress over the last couple weeks ). When did you start and how much have you lost? And do you have any kid bound books in your library? [ / icon_lol. gif]
Tril - That ' s a good point about pregnancy, that ' s a ton for the help
wheresmycoat
Senior Member
Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 326
Tue Jul 15, 2008 5: 34 am    Post subject:
Men seem to have less excess skin issues than women. Not sure if its down to men having more muscle mass, or what.
Smart jack would say you will be fine, superior you exercise and do your strength training, especially in any areas where there are sound fat deposits ( e. g. do 200 - 400 sit - ups at least 3x per week if your belly is flabby ). Aim for 2 lbs per week. Slow and Steady.
Worst case scenario, if you do get a bit of excess skin in the tum, just do a tummy tuck. No biggie. [ / icon_cool. gif]
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Tue Jul 15, 2008 1: 08 pm    Post subject:
I dropped from 315 to 175 and i did it pretty fast, within about 6 months to 7, I didn ' t and still don ' t really have excess skin like flaps or whatever... I guess we should define excess skin.
I ' m not exactly taut like a movie star, however. There are stretch marks on my sides over my obliques, that ' s for sure. Nothing hangs off, and i can stretch my skin just a bit, but if your thinking, hey maybe this will be a serious negative, it ' s not that horrible.
Ron Burgundy
New Member
Joined: 04 Jul 2008
Posts: 29
Location: Ireland
Tue Jul 15, 2008 2: 32 pm    Post subject:
Old Misery wrote:
Mr. Burgundy, that ' s so strange! I ' m 5 ' 7 " and my current weight is 242! ( check my progress post if you want to see my progress over the last couple weeks ). When did you start and how much have you lost? And do you have any leather bound books in your library? [ / icon_lol. gif]
Tril - That ' s a good point about pregnancy, that ' s a ton for the help
I do and i have have a dog called Baxter ( really i do )
I was 246 and started proper last friday. I ' m 242 now and hope to get down about 20 bls by the middle of aug as i am bringing my wife away for a weekend.
But about 190 is where i want to be. we should start a seperate thread to keep a weekly track of how we are getting on.
karenjs
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 544
Location: San Jose
Wed Jul 16, 2008 3: 21 pm    Post subject:
Hi Ron,
I started at 254 and am now at 175. I do have excess skin in the areas that had large fat deposits dragged down by gravity for a long time: belly, underarms, inner thighs, mid back. I expect that by the time I get to my goal weight, the excess skin will be less visible and if I take the remaining weight loss slowly, my skin will have a better chance to shrink back.
Your experience will be different though, because I am 52 and female.
Still, I would never choose to have the weight back in order to not have excess skin. It is totally hidden when I am dressed normally.
Old Misery
New Member
Joined: 07 Jul 2008
Posts: 15
Location: Raleigh, NC
Thu Jul 17, 2008 5: 18 am    Post subject:
Ron,
I love the idea! I have a spread sheet that I track my weekly measurments on. I share that as well. ( I have a dog named Sherlock, and my house smells of rich mahogany ) Sorry, I can ' t help myself, that movie has so many halarious one liners.

No comments: