Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 12, 2008

Low carb long term effect on metabolism
Author
Message
springchicken
New Member
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 3
Fri Aug 01, 2008 7: 52 am    Post subject: Low carb long term effect on metabolism
Hi guys [ / icon_smile. gif]
I ' m on a low carb diet ( not Atkins, but it ' s very similar, it just incorporates the Soldier ) and I ' m wondering about the effect it has on metabolism in the long term. My gym trainer told me to go on this to lose the last 5kg ( around 10lbs ) and after two weeks I ' ve lost 3kg. So, I don ' t have far to go, and when I ' m finished I ' d like to go back to eating some carbs again ( I won ' t eat bread, pasta or rice ) but I ' d like to be able to buy things like ordinary curry paste ( they all have sugar in them ) and that sort of thing. Cake at birthday parties, some chocolate and coffee ( oh! I miss coffee! ).
Anyway, if I just go back to calorie counting on the maintenance calories for my weight, will I gain weight? Say, 2000 calories a day of sensible food ( most days! ) and not sticking to the low carb diet. I know you guys love it and say it ' s sustainable ample, I ' m not debating that, I ' d just like to know if I can go back to eating the maintenance calories for my weight and not gain weight.
Thanks [ / icon_smile. gif]
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1322
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Fri Aug 01, 2008 11: 09 am    Post subject:
You may need to just do it and see if you can make it work. Often, any time you " go back " to something you also " go back " to your original weight... so be very diligent and careful if you do this. Low carbing isn ' t often a successful " just til I get the weight off " diet. When you start reintroducing sugars ( even in small amounts ) you will lose the benefit of a reduced appetite... which can lead to cravings and eating more sugar. You ' ll need more willpower to resist this. Are you willing to do that? You ' ll need to keep the exercise up... are you willing to do that?
I think, if you looked closer at Atkins, you would find that Maintenance includes most of the foods you want to add... the rest are " treats " and no matter which plan you follow those will need to be limited if you ' re going to stay at your goal weight.
So... try it. If you can make it work, GREAT! If you can ' t, there ' s always low carb eating to " go back " to. [ / icon_wink. gif]
Tril
springchicken
New Member
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 3
Fri Aug 01, 2008 11: 59 am    Post subject:
I lost my first ten kg calorie counting and eating plenty of bread and a little rice and pasta. So I was able to lose weight eating carbs, it was just very slow ( 10kg in about 6 months ). It is possible to lose weight that way, and I ' m just talking about maintaining. If this diet will change my metabolism then I ' m thinking I can ' t " go back " [ / icon_wink. gif] to normal maintenance calories.
So.. is that right?
Oh, and where do I find details on Atkins maintenance?
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1322
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Fri Aug 01, 2008 12: 09 pm    Post subject:
" If this diet will change my metabolism... "
Hmmm... not sure really what you mean by this. A diet low carb doesn ' t change your metabolism ( rate at which your body burns energy ). You can change how your body metabolizes food for energy ( is that what you meant? )... glycolysis vs. lipolysis, but that ' s not permanent. It ' s only based on the foods you ' re eating. If you eat low carb your body won ' t produce glucose for energy... it will produce ketones. But add carbs ( in ANY form... simple or complex ) and your body will switch right back to glycolysis, a glucose based energy system. If you " go back " your body will, too.
Tril12 октября 2008 г.

No comments: