Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 10, 2008

More weight loss in 2nd week of induction???
Author
Message
Noush
Notorious Member
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Tue Aug 19, 2008 4: 17 pm    Post subject: More weight loss in 2nd week of induction???
Hi,
Just a quick question. Since I am not losing any weight in my 8th day of induction, has anyone ever lost more weight in their second week? Is that possible?
As mentioned in previous posts, I have followed the diet VERY strictly and have not lost a single pound or any inches in 8 days [ / icon_sad. gif]
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Noush Buss
karenjs
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 544
Whereabouts: San Jose
Tue Aug 19, 2008 7: 44 pm    Post subject:
Hi Noush,
It ' s very rare for a person to lose no weight during Induction. Normally, you lose the most weight during the first week, and about half that amount the second week.
How far are you from your goal weight?
If you have less than 15 pounds to lose, your body may be happy where it is and you ' ll have to increase your exercise fully a bit to get started losing weight.
How much exercise do you get each day? You will need to exercise. Pick something you enjoy, but do it almost every day, for at least 30 reminder, preferably an hour or more.
Do you weigh yourself with a reliable scale? Some of the digital scales are not very consistent.
Are your clothes feeling looser?
Are you sure you are not taking in any hidden carbs? And only eating from the Acceptable Foods list?
These are some of my thoughts. Good luck! I ' ve always found that the quickest way to jumpstart my weight loss is to exercise strenuously for more than an hour a dau, for two or more days in a row.
Noush
Hackneyed Member
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Pair Aug 20, 2008 7: 48 am    Post subject:
perception!! Thank you karen... that is the ONE thing i don ' t do! Oh GOD! Dreaded exercise! OK i will start doing something then. I do an hours walk three times a week up hills and stuff but before i started the diet I read upon Atkins and many sites did say that exercise was avoidable.
I have more than 15lbs to lose.... more like 35 - 40lbs.... but surely, even without exercise I should have lost something?? I have had NO hidden carbs and I am in ketosis... so I have no idea whats going on.
A friend of mine at work who has been on Atkins for 4 years tidily said to me " conceivably this diet is not for you " but I am finding it relatively easy and I dont feel resentment in any shape or form.... I am just tryingtosit back and watch the results... which dont appear tobe coming....
Maybe my clothes feel looser but maybe thats just in my imagination. Overall, i dont think i have changed in the incipient.
Karen, thanks again for your suggestions and advice. I ' ll try.
Noush xx
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Locale: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Affix Aug 20, 2008 10: 34 am    Post subject:
" I read upon Atkins and many sites did say that exercise was expendable. "
Chapter 22... it ' s called, " Exercise: It ' s Non - Clear ". Not sure how that became " profuse " on those other websites! [ / icon_smile. gif]
Tril
Noush
Down pat Member
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Coadunate Aug 20, 2008 11: 54 am    Post subject: thanks
Wow! Thanks Tril! I really did not know that exercise was non - traversable. Trust me, many sites say that " exercise is not emphasised " on the Atkins diet.
No problem. I will do something.
Noush
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Seat: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Put together Aug 20, 2008 1: 52 pm    Post subject:
That ' s why it ' s SO important to read the book. Don ' t take someone else ' s word for anything... they only know what they ' ve been told or heard and then it becomes " truth ". Know for yourself. Read the book.
Tril
Noush
Well-known Member
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Thu Aug 21, 2008 7: 26 am    Post subject: HEY!!!!
Guess what? Guess what?!?!? I may have not lost any pounds but definitely inches! I had a pair of trousers that I could not get over my bum ( hahah you must be jolly at my british terms - sorry! ) but I am wearing them as i type this email. They are still a bit tight but uptown enough to wear and also i am wearing a top that used to make me look about 4 months pregnant!! Looks ok now though. Wow. entirely amazing as to me. my tummy still looks exactly the same.
Thanks Tril. Book should be with me tuesday as its Bank Holiday here in the UK on monday.
One final thing, the ketostix seem to be getting SLIGHTLY lighter in colour day by day. Is this bad? What does it mean?
Thanks.
Noush XX
Last edited by Noush on Thu Aug 21, 2008 12: 19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Site: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Thu Aug 21, 2008 11: 06 am    Post subject:
Noush.. no, it ' s not bad. As long as there ' s ANY change in color you ' re ok. Darker is not better, lighter is not worse. As I used to tell my boys when they were little and asked those hard questions like why the man in line next to us had " chocolate skin " ( we don ' t have a very diverse population here [ / icon_rolleyes. gif] ), " It ' s not better or worse, it ' s just different. " [ / icon_wink. gif]
Back to the stix... sorry for the diversion... the change just indicates that there are ketones in your urine, which indicates that you are metabolizing fatty acids. That could be fat you ' ve eaten or fat from your body. That ' s why we test for them... because in ketosis your metabolism is running on fat, not carbs. You ' re producing ketones, not glucose, for energy purposes. Extra ketones, those not needed by the body, are excreted through your breathing and urination. If the color is light, it just means that you ARE producing ketones ( important ) but you ' re either breathing more of the extra out OR you ' re using them up more ( exercise ) OR you ' re not overeating so you ' re using most of what you ' re making OR you ' re drinking lots of water and your urine is diluted ( less ketones per void ) OR all of the above. [ / icon_wink. gif]
You ' re fine. LOL
Tril
Noush
Established Member
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Thu Aug 21, 2008 12: 21 pm    Post subject:
As usual Tril,
THANK YOU!
Noush x
Nik@Night
Established Member
Joined: 24 Jul 2008
Posts: 165
Location: Seattle, Washington
Thu Aug 21, 2008 3: 16 pm    Post subject:
Congrats on being able to fit in your skinny jeans!!! That is definatly proof that something is happening!!! I usually find a trade off. I ' ll lose inches and then later the lbs. Stick with it. It will happen!
Nik
Noush
Established Member
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Fri Aug 22, 2008 9: 59 am    Post subject:
Thanks Nik!!
Yes, I have about 3 days left but i think i will continue with induction for another week or so.
What is likely to happen to people who stick with induction?? I am finding the menus great and dont miss carbs at all - especially FRUIT! [ / icon_mad. gif]
Nik@Night
Established Member
Joined: 24 Jul 2008
Posts: 165
Location: Seattle, Washington
Fri Aug 22, 2008 4: 20 pm    Post subject:
I ' ve been on induction for a little over 70 days now and plan on staying on for quite a while. I myself don ' t feel over limited by my food options. I have a significant amount to lose and feel this will be the best way.
Nik
Noush
Established Member
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Tue Aug 26, 2008 11: 56 am    Post subject: could it be??
Would it be fair to say that now i have passed my second week of induction and have still not even lost a pound in weight, could this be because i dont have THAT much weight to lose in the first place? I have stuck to the diet SO strictly and have weighed everything i eat and look for hidden carbs. I am in ketosis but i cannot understand the lack of weight loss. I drink my 2litres every day and i cant think of anything i am doing wrong.
I am exercising now and i am completely flummoxed! Why oh WHY am i not losing weight. I thought something was happening when i could fit into my clothes etc but that seems to have gone back to normal and they are still tight.... I am confused. Very! [ / icon_redface. gif]
Noush
ps. hope you ' re all hanging in there! [ / icon_lol. gif]
loser lady
Senior Member
Joined: 26 Jun 2008
Posts: 233
Location: Deep South
Tue Aug 26, 2008 1: 08 pm    Post subject:
Dear Noush:
Would you mind a question and a suggestion? First, I was wondering which vitamins you are taking. Dr. A. was very specific about taking vitamins and their positive effect on a person ' s metabolism. So, please be sure that you are taking your vitamins.
Second, I notice some people are helped if they publish their menus to this web site. There are some folks here who know a great deal about this program and if you publish your menus they may be able to make some concrete suggestions that will help.
Take care and best wishes
LL
Noush
Established Member
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Tue Aug 26, 2008 2: 31 pm    Post subject: hi
Oh HI LL!
Thanks for your speedy reply. I have written my menu under the " Oh no i had Green Tea " post!.... my menus are ok BUT hey!! I didnt know anything about taking vitamins!?!? I have ordered the Atkins book and i thought it would come today but since it was a Bank Holiday here in the UK yesterday perhaps there ' s a bit of a back log.
Which vitamins am i supposed to be taking.
FYI i eat chicken salad mostly and the only boiled veg i eat is broccoli or cauliflower. fish, i eat baked or smoked salmon. i check carbs in everything and the only sauces i have are mayo or soured cream... oh yeah! and its eggs GALORE!!! Only scrammbled or fried but worryingly, sometimes 5 in a day!! Seems a lot.
loser lady
Senior Member
Joined: 26 Jun 2008
Posts: 233
Location: Deep South
Tue Aug 26, 2008 2: 48 pm    Post subject:
Hello, Noush!
This is a quote from the Atkins website " Take a daily multivitamin with minerals, including potassium, magnesium and calcium, but without iron. Take your Omega 3's and 6's every day and a fiber supplement if necessary. " I ' ve read quite a bit that says making sure we have lots of vitamins ensures our metabolism doesn ' t slow down. Not enough vitamins means sluggish metabolism and slow / no weight loss.
The other thing of course is getting the calorie balance right. Too few calories will put your metabolism in super slow mode which does the same thing. It ' s tricky, isn ' t it? Dr. A ' s website says Women should shoot for a range of 1500 - 1800 calories a day.
I hope this information will help you
LL
Noush
Established Member
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Tue Aug 26, 2008 3: 08 pm    Post subject: hi
Thanks a lot LL,
very helpful! I sometimes struggle to reach the 1500 calories! And without being able to have a piece of fruit or whatever, its hard. I am sticking with induction for another 2 weeks and will go get my vitamins today.
Do you have any names in aprticular for vitamins. Shows how good i am... i never even heard of omega 6!! [ / icon_redface. gif]10 октября 2008 г.

No comments: