Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 10, 2008

oh no!!! I had GREEN TEA!!
Author
Message
Noush
Known Member
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Mon Aug 18, 2008 10: 39 am    Post subject: oh no!!! I had GREEN TEA!!
Hi all,
Hope you guys are all doing ok on the induction phase.
I am very new to the atkins diet and am following it to the Speck! BUT!! I need help please.
I have been having decaf tea and no milk etc... but have JUST completed a WEEK on induction phase and have also been having a cup of CLIPPER PURE GREEN TEA each day... does this mean that i have to start all over again cos it contains caffeine?? Pray God say no! I have been soooooooo good with the 20gms of carbs and no fruit etc.... i have not even lost ONE pound and i cannot understand why! I am about 135lbs ( about 8 and a half stone ) and i havenot lost inches or pounds in the last week. Could this be cos of the caffeine??
Your thoughts would be much appreciated [ / icon_cry. gif]
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Post: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Mon Aug 18, 2008 10: 47 am    Post subject:
Noush... no, the tea is fine. Caffeine is limited because in SOME people it can trigger an insulin release which will cause hunger. I don ' t limit my caffeine. I have my morning coffee and an sporadic diet coke. I also drink black tea at night. I ' ve learned that my body doesn ' t respond ill to it.
Why don ' t you tell us what you ' ve been eating, how much ( serving sizes ), etc and we ' ll see if there ' s anything " wrong ". Although it ' s prodigious to not lose the first week, it can happen for several reasons... some of which might be that you don ' t have a lot to lose so you ' re already in the " slow " stage, you were already eating a relatively low carb diet, you fasted just before starting, your path, medications, not enough water, etc. It could also just be YOUR PATTERN of weight loss. So, help us help you and give us all the info you can.
Tril
Noush
Notorious Member
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Mon Aug 18, 2008 1: 06 pm    Post subject: thanks
Tril! Thanks so much!! Well, i have been eating one or two scrambled eggs for breakfast, chicken salad for lunch ( say half a chicken breast ) and meat and 20gms of veg for dinner. That is exactly what i have had everyday for the past week. I also drank the 2litres of watre every day and wlak for an hour 3 times a week and do yoga and other small exercise on the other days. I am 135lbs ( 8 and a half stone ) and I would like to lose around 20lbs. I am 4ft 11 " so even a diminutive bit of weight makes me look huge.
Noush
Noted Member
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Mon Aug 18, 2008 1: 16 pm    Post subject: oops
i guess i was so excited at getting such a fast response!
Sorry for all the spelling mistakes!
Noush xx
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Bearings: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Mon Aug 18, 2008 4: 09 pm    Post subject:
LOL... no problem! I ' m on here a LOT. [ / icon_wink. gif] I saw your other post about not feeling any different this past week and that you haven ' t noticed any change in your breath. I ' m concerned that you ' re in ketosis. Can you give a more broad menu??? EVERY single thing you put in your mouth and how much... I ' m wondering if there are some hidden carbs that you ' re not aware of. A week of eating what you said you ' ve had, SHOULD have put you in ketosis by the 5th day. Do you have any ketostix? They detect ketones in your urine and you can get them at a phar - ma - cy ( fooling the word censor here ). If you ' re not in ketosis, that might explain the lack of weight loss so far. At your height and weight, I would have expected something lost this week.
Eager to help if you ' re prepared to author it all down! [ / icon_smile. gif]
Tril
Noush
Patent Member
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Mon Aug 18, 2008 5: 39 pm    Post subject: hi
Hi Tril, Ketosis???
I have told you literally everything i put in my mouth and i do not touch ANYTHING with carbs in and always check for hidden carbs in sauces etc... its literally an omlette, chicken salad with a bit of mayo and then lamb chops and cauliflower, broccolli and / or courgettes ( zucchini?? ). Its my 7th day i dont feel any different. no headaches due to still having the caffeinne in my green tea but thats ok i hear.
thanks.
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Seat: Wisconsin
Tue Aug 19, 2008 12: 31 am    Post subject:
You haven ' t told her everything you put in your mouth.
For example, chicken salad is bleary. Chicken salad could tender mean 1 / 2 a chicken breast in Miracle Whip ( loaded with sugar ) and placed over a back of noodles ( noodles being of course the glance of paradise to atkins dieting ).
I once had this conversation with a person who was unrelenting that it wasn ' t their diet, yet their " salad " contained 3 servings of dressing that were each 10 carbs, plus blueberries and strawberries.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Whereabouts: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Aug 19, 2008 12: 36 am    Post subject:
That ' s why I asked to know everything.... some people put grapes in their chicken salad, or Miracle Whip like you said. Heck, even mustard has carbs.
Noush... you should read up on ketosis. It ' s the function of Induction... to " induce " ketosis.
Tril
Noush
Established Member
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Tue Aug 19, 2008 8: 15 am    Post subject: ok
Oh ok sorry.
Breakfast of eggs ( 2 ) is a tablespoon of olive oil a fix of salt and a quagmire of pepper and thats it.
lunch. the chicken salad was home roasted chicken in butter. i have it with a handful of lettuce. a quarter of of a diced cucumber one small tomato. spring onion and a tablespoon of mayonnaise. salt / pepper
dinner is 2 small lean lamb chops with grilled brocolli, cauliflower and courgettes totalling 20grams in weight.
I drink 2 litres of water throughout the day and i never touch any desserts or low carb products. that is exactly what i have had for the last 7 days.
I got the Ketostix and the colour was the second DARKEST Tril. Is that good or bad??? [ / icon_confused. gif]
Thank you so much.
Noush
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Locality: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Aug 19, 2008 10: 17 am    Post subject:
There ya go, Noush... dark on the stix means you are forceful ketones and LOTS of them are spilling over into your urine. Those are extra ketones your body doesn ' t need. They can ' t be reverted back to fat so the body gets rid of them through exhalation and urination. The color doesn ' t matter all that much... you just want a change to register. Darker stix results can, however, be indicative of not enough water. You ' re drinking the recommended amount of water so unless you ' re sweating a lot, it should be enough.
Other questions...
Are you exercising, if so how much?
Are you on medications?
How old are you?
Do you have any metabolic issues like diabetes?
How is your thyroid?
I just went back and reread your post to try to think of other questions... the 20 grams of vegetables is 20 NET grams. Are you deducting the fiber grams from the total carb count?? You may not be getting enough vegetables. Also, the 20 g in weight of your dinner vegetables = less than 3 / 4 oz.
Examples:
36 g of green leaf lettuce ( 1 cup ) - 0. 5 g net carb
91 g of broccoli ( 1 cup chopped ) - 4. 0 g net carb
64 g of cauliflower ( 1 cup chopped ) - 1. 9 g net carb
52 g of cucumber ( one cup sliced ) - 1. 59 g net carb
180 g of tomato ( 1 cup chopped ) - 4. 86 g net carb
1 cup =. 237 liters or 237 ml
And you didn ' t eat anywhere near this amount, not even with the spring onion and zucchini ( couldn ' t find nutrition info on those with serving sizes in grams ). The total net carbs of the above? 12. 85. That ' s the minimum per day. I don ' t think you ' re eating enough veggies. Do I sound like your mum??? LOL
Tril
Noush
Established Member
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Tue Aug 19, 2008 10: 40 am    Post subject: hi
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [ / icon_lol. gif]
Wow! This is a real science! I am soooooo rubbish at stuff like this, I thought it was just add up and there ya go!... OK, so maybe i need to eat more veg. I dont get the net carb thing and stuff..... [ / icon_cry. gif]
I am not exercising THAT much... an hours walk now and again. Which exercise do you recommed and for how long? I am not sweating at all. I am 32 and on no medication but there is a severe history of diabetes on BOTH sides of my parents. Luckily my siblings and i dont have it. My father died when i was 7 and my mum 6 years ago at 56 from Cancer.... but you do sound like her a bit Tril [ / icon_smile. gif]
I think i am on the right track but since i have not that much weight tolose i am in the slow stage. We ' llsee if there isany change this time next week. I am so glad i dont get that BLOATED feeling anymore.
Thanks so much for your kind interest and support.
Noush XX
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Aug 19, 2008 10: 52 am    Post subject:
Noush... sorry to hear about your parents. [ / icon_sad. gif] I lost my dad in my 30 ' s and that was hard. You ' re very young to have gone through losing both parents. {{{hugs}}}
Why don ' t you see if you can get a copy of the book and read that for starters? It will help you understand it all much better!
Tril
Noush
Established Member
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Tue Aug 19, 2008 12: 46 pm    Post subject: hi
Hi Tril, thanks for the hugs. I will need them to get me through the next 6 days! hahaa...
I will try and get a copy of the book but i know there is a lot of information on the internet as well.
Bye for now.
Noush x
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Aug 19, 2008 1: 06 pm    Post subject:
There is a lot of information on the web... but a lot of it is MISinformation, too. Reading Dr A ' s book ( if that ' s the low carb plan you ' ve chosen to learn and follow ) is just smart to do... that way, you ' ll know yourself if what you ' re reading is first of all, correct and second of all, applicable to the Atkins ' plan. There are lots of recipes and tips and tricks for low carbers that simply don ' t fit into Atkins, especially into his first phase of Induction. Then, later on, there are things you can and should be incorporating into your diet that other low carb plans never allow. So do yourself a favor and read the book. [ / icon_wink. gif]
Tril
Noush
Established Member
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Tue Aug 19, 2008 2: 22 pm    Post subject: hi
OK i have ordered the book. In your opinion and experience tril, do you think i would have lost any weight by next week? that will be my two weeks complete. i am just getting a bit frustrated as i am following the diet so strictly and am not seeing any results. All i keep reading about is people losing 9lbs - 16lbs in the first week and THEN they slow down. I am just a bit concerned that my weight loss rate is so sluggish... i dont even think i have lost ONE pound! Dont know what to do... [ / icon_cry. gif]
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Tue Aug 19, 2008 4: 31 pm    Post subject:
When you say you dont " think " you have lost 1 lb, does that mean you are not weighing yourself, but merely eyeballing?
that in itself could be a problem.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Aug 19, 2008 5: 22 pm    Post subject:
Weight loss is neither predictable nor linear. No one can say what your experience will be. One thing IS for certain... if you quit, you won ' t lose anything by next week. If you stick with it, you might. That has to be good enough for you. It has to be good enough for ALL of us.
Tril
Noush
Established Member
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Wed Aug 20, 2008 7: 56 am    Post subject:
HI Kyp,
Yes I have weighed myself and I am exactly the same.
Tril, yes, i will stick with it... no WAY will I quit now.
By the way, how much exercise doyou do?
Noush X
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Wed Aug 20, 2008 10: 30 am    Post subject:
Me? I walk my dogs every day... for about an hour. I walk in hay fields wearing knee high rubber boots. It ' s not all flat and as the grass gets taller and taller it ' s like walking in snow... or water. I ' m usually quite sweaty by the time I get back to my vehicle. Other than that, nothing except an occasional workout with a friend and her kettlebell. I should do that more often... AND, I should be wearing my weighted vest when I walk but I don ' t think I could keep up with ds ' s gf if I wore it. LOL She ' s 21 with legs about six miles long. I have to take two steps to her every one step. [ / icon_smile. gif] She ' s pretty psyched about our walks.... she ' s losing weight and inches, too. The dogs are looking really good. My older lab has joint issues and a tendency to gain weight. Not this summer! He ' s better at age 6 than he was at age 2 as far as lameness and weight goes. Having another ( younger ) dog helps. Diesel is going to keep ALL of us younger and thinner... this dog... unlimited energy. We have yet to tucker him out. I don ' t think we could.
Tril

No comments: