Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 10, 2008

I keep flirting with being out of ketosis it seems......
Author
Message
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Station: Wisconsin
Mon Jul 28, 2008 1: 24 pm    Post subject: I keep flirting with being out of ketosis it seems......
it ' s driving me mad, but I ' m keeping sane because I know that even if I drop out of ketosis for a day or so I can ' t conceivably be gaining weight due to my calorie deficit still.
However, it ' s a bit frustrating. Been looking over my food journal and minus an increase in cheese and some extra heavy cream ( read lots of extra LOL ) in my jello and such, I haven ' t been really naughty.
Bloody frustrating.
treacletart
New Member
Joined: 26 Jun 2008
Posts: 27
Latitude: England
Mon Jul 28, 2008 1: 27 pm    Post subject:
is jelly ok then? Is that for OWL?
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1322
Whereabouts: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Mon Jul 28, 2008 1: 29 pm    Post subject:
What proof do you have that you ' re going in and out of ketosis? The STICKS???? C ' mon, Kyp... you gotta give those up. They ' re messing with your mind. You ' re not eating much... so your body isn ' t cogent a lot of ketones... which means your body is USING them all with your ( excuse me ) excessive workout schedule... which means there are plainly NONE left to show up in your urine.
Other signs of ketosis:
Weight loss... check
Ketone breath... check
Reduced cravings for carbs... check
Reduced physical hunger... check
Need I say more??
Tril
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Spot: Wisconsin
Mon Jul 28, 2008 1: 47 pm    Post subject:
Oh no im eating a ton.
I ' m up to about 2800 calories a day, which is a pretty fair amount.
The only major things that have changed in my diet is I picked up some Atkins shakes, I have one in the morning on the way out the door, Vanilla only because it ' s the lowest carb... I have Heavy Cream with my Sugar Free Jello in the evening and I ' ve increased my cheese intake. I ' ve also added an fresh 50 grams of protein and 200 calories in a 2 carb after workout shake, so I ' m probably convincing a lot of glucose from protein conversion.
The reason the weight loss is still happening is because of the fresh exercise I have been doing, but I had hoped to tone some of that down.
If we ' re going down the checklist for Ketosis..
Weight Loss - Check ( Would hope so, I flow 12 miles a day after working out on weights )
Ketone Breath - Negative
Reduced Craving for Carbs - I always crave certain things, I just ignore them
Reduced Physical Hunger - LOL. I could eat a grocery store if I let myself, any time, any day.
Also even with my excessive exercise schedule, I always showed moderate to heavy ketosis, even with 10 bottles of water a day. Now, all bye bye. Kyp angry grrrr.
stephani501
Down pat Member
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Posts: 133
Locality: Seattle, Washington
Mon Jul 28, 2008 3: 10 pm    Post subject:
12 miles a day?????
Wow. And here I was all proud of myself for doing 4!!!
Kyp, you are a machine.
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Bearings: Wisconsin
Mon Jul 28, 2008 3: 25 pm    Post subject:
Yeah but i wanna STOP lol..... thats my problem.
arsieiuni
Manifest Member
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Posts: 125
Location: Alabama
Mon Jul 28, 2008 6: 10 pm    Post subject:
I have never gotten ketone breath! I have purple ketostix but no ketone breath! I ' m kinda glad though...
Kyp, I walk 3 - 9 miles most days ( depends on where I need to go! ) and it ' s pretty vigorous because I ' m recurrently carrying either a 1 year old on my back or a bag of groceries. We keep a strong walk but we don ' t push it too far. ( A determined, stride would be my best description. ) and a 3 mile walk takes us roughly 45 comic book ( so I guess we walk 4 miles per hour, which I ' ve seen called a " brisk walk " before ).
Between that and chasing a one year old around, playing with her, doing housework etc... What kind of activity level would you rate me, and how many calories do you think I create in deficit? Especially just on the motile part?
Since you seem to know stuff like that, I ' m just curious what you will say.
Sorry for topic swap! O_o but you made me think!
Shei
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Mon Jul 28, 2008 10: 41 pm    Post subject:
I sound knowledgeable about it but the truth is for the calculation of how much I burnt, I used my health care to go to a in system nutritionist who knew nothing, but at least had the capability to calculate my BMR and my calorie burn from my exercise. That ' s how I know how much I burn each day.
I ' ll poke around though and see what I can dig up.
arsieiuni
Established Member
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Posts: 125
Location: Alabama
Tue Jul 29, 2008 2: 18 am    Post subject:
Ahhh! You seem like you know everything! lol
I suppose I could go check that out... I ' d like to know. It might help me...
Don ' t worry over it too much! I just thought it was simple stuff for Kyp. [ / icon_smile. gif] lol
Thanks,
Shei
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Tue Jul 29, 2008 2: 33 am    Post subject:
Calculating an accurate Basal Metabolic Rate is kinda a pain,,, you go to your doctor and get your BMI and your Body Fat test, and they use that to figure out what your base calorie burn is.... then you can start looking at what you burn on your exercise, and for that you really need to know your heart rate, since that ' s what tells you how hard your body is working.
The only reason I have a pretty accurate result is because I wear a heart rate monitor when I work out, so I was able to give precise info to the nutritionist and the doctor.
chicago. cyclist
New Member
Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Posts: 16
Location: Chicago
Thu Aug 07, 2008 3: 00 am    Post subject:
There ' s another BMR test where you wear a mask and a machine measures your oxygen output for a set period of time while you just sit or lay there. Along with all the other measurements, it ' s supposed to be able to determine how much oxygen you are using up, which is required for metabolism, so it ' s supposedly pretty accurate. I had it done once, but completely lost the results. I was much more fit then.
barbimathisen
Established Member
Joined: 29 Jul 2008
Posts: 189
Location: Renton, WA
Thu Aug 07, 2008 3: 08 am    Post subject:
hey, try calorieking dot com. They even show you the calories burnt for silly things like ironing clothes or giving the dog a bath.
stephani501
Established Member
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Posts: 133
Location: Seattle, Washington
Thu Aug 07, 2008 2: 37 pm    Post subject:
Hey Kyp::
I started jogging yesterday!!! I know you will appreciate this because you feel the same about exercise as I do..
When I started the gym I was on the treadmill, no incline, at 3. 0, and I could barely make it for twenty minutes.
Now I am at 3. 8 - 3. 9 comfortably, incline 5. 0 - 12. 0 ( I do intervals ), and I am at sixty minutes ( with a three minute warm up, three minute cool down )!
Yesterday I started the jogging at 4. 6 - 4. 8, 5. 0 incline and I am incorporating it into my walking. So, walk for three minutes at 3. 8 or so and then jog at 4. 6 or so for one minute, back to walking then back to jogging for two minutes, back to walking, etc.
Can I jump up and down with excitement??
So, I am telling you this because you motivate me to keep going when I want to stop ( even though you do not know this... ), and I appreciate your posts. So thank you.
Ok, have a great day!
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Fri Aug 08, 2008 6: 47 am    Post subject:
Good deal! I get to skip the treadmill and use elliptical and stairmasters, on account of the body.
Have replacement ligament grafts and 4 titanium pins in my right knee, and in my left knee I am just flat out missing 1 ligament that they decided not to operate for, above that is a titanium rod and pins for my hip, plus two plates in my pelvis and 4 screws, and 2 screws in my left ankle.
Too much to [ / icon_bounce. gif] around on that treadmill,,, but I ' ve learned to develop a love / hate relationship with the stair master and the stair mill. THe stair mill is pretty ruthless.
barbimathisen
Established Member
Joined: 29 Jul 2008
Posts: 189
Location: Renton, WA
Fri Aug 08, 2008 8: 44 am    Post subject:
I ' ve seen people on the stair mill and I ' m convinced I would fall on my caboose! Especially those guys that walk up the stairs backwards on it.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1322
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Fri Aug 08, 2008 10: 04 am    Post subject:
Kyp... you should be able to add 5# to your goal weight with all that metal in you! LOL
Tril
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Fri Aug 08, 2008 12: 50 pm    Post subject:
Its a bit ghoulish of a joke but my friends keep saying im gonna get grave robbed for my titanium, lol.

No comments: