Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 10, 2008

New!
Author
Message
CADAMS5120
New Member
Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 8
Locale: Maine
Sat Aug 23, 2008 10: 19 pm    Post subject: New!
I ' ve been doing this for about 4 days. It ' s hard to break the chain of reaching for cheez - its or mac n ' cheese for a quick tummy filling [ / icon_smile. gif] I ' ve read the list of what you can and cannot have for the first two weeks - but can I have a shake? I ' m not a breakfast eater b / c i repeatedly don ' t have enough time in the morning. However, if they are not allowed, I will just cook up some bacon and micro it in the AM.
Should I have noticed a big change by now? Day one I kind of cheated, but the last three days I ' ve been really good! I ' ve donated all starchy foods to the shelter. It was hard to part with, but it feels great to finally eat vegetables with dinner....
lilgrnchicken
New Member
Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 15
Setting: wisconsin
Sun Aug 24, 2008 1: 21 am    Post subject:
hey there! i ' m new to this too. i ' ve been reading for a week or so though, just coming up on my first full week of induction. guess i should post an intro...
i think i ' ve read that the shakes are ok, but not the bars. one thing you could do is pick a day off and do a lot of cooking for the week. that way you can grab and go as necessary. i know i typically have 1. 5 dozen strong-willed eggs in the fridge at any given time, a few days ' worth of chicken breast, burgers, cole slaw, meatballs, etc. a couple times this week i was up at 5: 30 making deviled eggs. i don ' t know that it matters if you eat non - breakfast foods for breakfast, so this idea might work for you.
i know how you feel about changing habits. i ' m a total caffeine and carb junkie. well, i was a week ago anyway. i still think a bowl of pasta would be really good, but then i think smaller pants would be better. [ / icon_smile. gif]
good luck on your expedition.
HCrews
Admitted Member
Joined: 11 Aug 2008
Posts: 53
Stage: Missouri
Sun Aug 24, 2008 3: 17 am    Post subject:
i still think a bowl of pasta would be really good, but then i think smaller pants would be better.
[ / icon_lol. gif] Awesome posture!
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Latitude: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Sun Aug 24, 2008 11: 18 am    Post subject:
HCrews wrote:
i still think a bowl of pasta would be really good, but then i think smaller pants would be better.
Very good quote... should be on a bumper sticker! LOL
Tril
lilgrnchicken
New Member
Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 15
Post: wisconsin
Sun Aug 24, 2008 12: 32 pm    Post subject:
lol luckily, having been through a very low carb diet in the past, i know that said bowl of pasta would not taste as good as i remember.
CADAMS5120
New Member
Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 8
Location: Maine
Sun Aug 24, 2008 3: 16 pm    Post subject:
I ' m positive that the carb cravings pass soon. I was at a grocery store the other day and could smell the cookies they were making. It ' s so weird being on a diet like this. I ' ve always been calorie focused and with all the meat i ' ve been eating, i feel like i should be dropping dead of a heart attack...
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Direction: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Sun Aug 24, 2008 4: 49 pm    Post subject:
You ' ve been brainwashed... it ' s not the fat or protein that ' s going to give you heart disease. It ' s fat PLUS carbs... the processed, sugar filled carbs.
Fat / protein - sugar / carbs = weight loss, improved cholesterol, lower PB
Fat / protein + sugar / carbs = obesity and disease
So tell me... is it the fat or the sugar / carbs that ' s dangerous?
Where ' bouts in Maine are you??? I ' m in " Central Maine ".
Tril
CADAMS5120
New Member
Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 8
Location: Maine
Sun Aug 24, 2008 6: 22 pm    Post subject:
I ' m in portland. I actually just got home from shaws with some new things ( ie vegetables and pastrami, things that are not our average pasta ). My husband and I threw away EVERYTHING that we can ' t eat. I wanted to leave it there just in case, but now that I ' m seeing results, I didn ' t even think twice.
Tamaruni
Senior Member
Joined: 13 Aug 2008
Posts: 335
Location: Oklahoma City
Sun Aug 24, 2008 6: 32 pm    Post subject:
Hey there, I just stopped by the thread while eating my lunch ( and before diving into a mountain of homework ) - and noted this new posting. I just wanted to say Hello and, Welcome! I ' m only ten days into the program myself but someone told me ( probably Tril ) it only takes a day or two for the cravings to vanish and fat burning mode to kick in. Did you read up about Ketones? You could find it in the Intro, or find Tril ' s thread and ask her about it; ) ) Happy Journey! Tam
P. S. I, too, think " I still crave a bowl of pasta but I think smaller pants would be better " should be a bumper sticker. Bump! [ / icon_razz. gif]
Tamaruni
Senior Member
Joined: 13 Aug 2008
Posts: 335
Location: Oklahoma City
Sun Aug 24, 2008 6: 36 pm    Post subject:
p. s. Tril ' s " thread " to which I refer is under the link on the forum called " PROGRESS BOARD ", and Tril ' s thread is " Tril ' s Trail to Thin. " ( Mine is called " Tamara ' s Journal. " ) You new people can start your own progress, too, and post every day. Blessings and good luck to you on your own journey. xoxo Tamara
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Sun Aug 24, 2008 6: 57 pm    Post subject:
C... I was in Portland yesterday!!! [ / icon_smile. gif]
Tril
CADAMS5120
New Member
Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 8
Location: Maine
Mon Aug 25, 2008 1: 32 am    Post subject:
Tril wrote:
C... I was in Portland yesterday!!! [ / icon_smile. gif]
Tril
Sightseeing? [ / icon_lol. gif]
Anyway, I feel like I ' m craving sweets specifically now. My husband ' s done this diet before ( years ago ), so his support is " suck it up ". Any suggestions that might be a bit more helpful?
lilgrnchicken
New Member
Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 15
Location: wisconsin
Mon Aug 25, 2008 1: 48 am    Post subject:
make some of the clouds. i used some SF da vinci vanilla and they are positively exquisite. it ' s like frozen bites of cream cheese frosting.
i got 53 of them buggers ( after DH ate some of the batter ), and you ' ll get even more if you use the 1 / 2 tsp method - mine are closer to a full teaspoon. i calculated my batch. each of my clouds come in at 30 cal and 3 grams of fat. i know it ' s not the calories or fat we are counting, but food for thought before you eat a handful.
wheresmycoat
Senior Member
Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 326
Mon Aug 25, 2008 1: 50 am    Post subject:
would you please post the recipe for clouds? They sound dellicious!
lilgrnchicken
New Member
Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 15
Location: wisconsin
Mon Aug 25, 2008 2: 10 am    Post subject:
i printed out the recipe and forget which site i got it from. but here ' s what i did.. 2 carb per cloud. i forgot the carb count earlier.
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 / 2 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda *
1 / 2 teaspoon SF da vinci vanilla syrup
Beat everything with an electric mixer until fluffy. Drop onto wax paper covered baking sheet, approximately 1 tsp size dollops. Freeze until firm, at least 1 hour. Store in the freezer and eat frozen.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Mon Aug 25, 2008 10: 37 am    Post subject:
[quote= " CADAMS5120]Sightseeing? [ / icon_lol. gif]
Anyway, I feel like I ' m craving sweets specifically now. My husband ' s done this diet before ( years ago ), so his support is " suck it up ". Any suggestions that might be a bit more helpful? [ / quote]
No... we went to my son ' s college orientation and then visited my mom for a few days. I ' m from Portland originally. All of my family lives in or around Portland.
For sweet cravings... I tend to agree with your dh to " suck it up ". For me, feeding the cravings something low carb but sweet tasting makes it worse. I will, at times, have a diet soda or a sf hard candy when something sweet sounds good ( like after lunch ). I wouldn ' t have those if I felt I " wanted " something sweet. That ' s the time that I " suck it up ". That ' s the fastest way to rid yourself of the craving... don ' t feed it sugar or anything sweet tasting. Instead, try a dill pickle ( sour ) or a couple of boiled eggs ( protein ).
HTH,
Tril

No comments: