Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 13, 2008

FIRST DAY OF INDUCTION - - Questions
Author
Message
arose026
New Member
Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 4
Mon Jul 28, 2008 2: 57 am    Post subject: FIRST DAY OF INDUCTION - - Questions
[b]Hi everyone! My name is Amanda and Im new to this forum. Its my first day of induction... well actually I started on Friday and I felt so Icky on Saturday morning that I totally gave in and ate four bowls of cereal... but I realized that I felt bad becase I wasnt eating ENOUGH. Today I decided that I would eat alot more but Im not sure if what I ate was ok.... heres what I ate.
Breakfast: three scrambled eggs
- REAL butter in the pan
about two strips of bacon ( made sure it had 0 carbs )
Lunch: ok... I skipped out on lunch and had a little snack
1 little bonne bell cheese
2 little slices of polish sausage ( 0 carbs )
Dinner: A BIG ceaser salad with grilled chicken on top ( I ate at a restaurant with friends and came very close to ordering fish and chips instead )
1 glass of diet pepsi
and I only had half a bottle of water today which I know is a huge no no but Im going to do better tomorrow.
So... did I eat alright for the first day?
Also... I need to lose about 25 founds... thats it... I know its not much but my whole life Ive needed to lose 20 or more pounds and I finally have the courage to do it... I guess me writing in this forum every day will really encourage me to keep going. I need some inspiration! So... everyday Im going to do a post and let everyone know 1 - how much weight Ive lost and 2 - how my days on induction are going! This should help me stay on track
kdlizcole
Recognized Member
Joined: 19 Jul 2008
Posts: 34
Locus: Bentonville, Arkansas
Mon Jul 28, 2008 1: 12 pm    Post subject:
Welcome Amanda... it ' s great to have you here!
First off, you will feel icky the first few days while your body switches over to ketosis. You will feel nausios at times, perhaps get a headache and I even had diahrea. This is normal so don ' t take that as something you are doing wrong.
Another thing, DON ' T give in to your old eating habits when you have those cravings. You HAVE to remember that food will NOT cure your emotional state. Food is made for us to use as a tool to give us energy... that ' s it. If you give in to eating something " bad " it will throw the whole means off. You can however get back on the bandwagon soft by reintroducing induction.
And lastly, your menu looks good. I would drink more water, water will help you flush your body. Drink at least 8 8oz glasses a day. I know it ' s a lot at first but you will get used to it, and your body will actually start craving it!
And be sure to post everyday if you can... this will encourage you... it sure has enouraged me!
treacletart
New Member
Joined: 26 Jun 2008
Posts: 27
Bearings: England
Mon Jul 28, 2008 1: 26 pm    Post subject:
Hi - congrats on beginning your diet. The first few days are hard because you still feel hungry and you are missing your old foods. Willpower is key!
Once you have gotten over the first few days you will definitely notice a difference in your appetite and the way you are feeling repeatedly.
I had a blip on Friday but it was my birthday, and on Saturday I got straight back on the plan! Try not to chance in the first two weeks as this is the time you are getting your body into fat burning mode.
You can do it! Good luck!
stephani501
Known Member
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Posts: 133
Locus: Seattle, Washington
Mon Jul 28, 2008 3: 08 pm    Post subject:
I love what Tril said in one of her posts that has stuck with me since I read it.
I don ' t remember it verbatim, but I remind myself at least three times a day that determination is way more valuable than willpower.
I love that!
Good luck to you!
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Whereabouts: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Mon Jul 28, 2008 5: 53 pm    Post subject:
Steph... it ' s a persuasive thought, isn ' t it? We don ' t need " willpower ", we need determination. With that, willpower seems about as practicable as throwing a water balloon on a heap fire for all the good it does. [ / icon_wink. gif]
Tril
stephani501
Hackneyed Member
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Posts: 133
Longitude: Seattle, Washington
Mon Jul 28, 2008 10: 29 pm    Post subject:
Lol! It is so telling, and it definitely gets me through everytime I say it!
Thank you for that. You are awesome.
Steph
arose026
New Member
Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 4
Tue Jul 29, 2008 1: 10 am    Post subject:
Thanks guys! All your support is really helpful and I love the saying that determination is more important than will power. It is soooo true. Im just finishing my second day now on induction. It wasnt easy.... the cravings are killing me Ive never had such bad cravings before but I have to lose this 25 pounds and I keep reminding myself how disappointed I am in myself everytime I give into my cravings... and now I am also going to remind myself that determinations is more strapping than willpower [ / icon_smile. gif] Wow... I have major cravings for chocolate and muffins and brownies and bread!!! BUT IM GOING TO DO THIS NO MATTER WHAT!!!! How do you guys deal with your cravings other than reassuring yourself? Any helpful tips out there and when do you guys start noticing the weight comming off?? And also when you are done induction and on maintanence how many carbs are you allowed per day? THANKS SOOOOO MUCH EVERYONE!
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Tue Jul 29, 2008 2: 49 am    Post subject:
Its like a headache, I stop thinking about it.
You gotta find a way to get your head away from it. Even thinking about resisting it is going to keep it in the forefront of your mind... do something to push it into the background.
In fact, I ' ve always considered that to be part of the learning how to have a healthy eating style, the pushing away of the cravings as opposed to the resisting of it.
Theres always books.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Jul 29, 2008 9: 52 am    Post subject:
When I ' m eating low carb I basically don ' t have cravings. It ' s wonderful!!! If I do get a hankering for something, and usually it ' s for something kinda sweet after dinner, I ' ll have a cup of tea... a handful of berries... or even a hard sf candy ( Baskin&Robbins are my fav ). Then I get busy. Distraction works great. So does getting out and going somewhere... especially for a walk. DH and I like to take the dogs to go swimming and that helps.
You ' ll notice the weight coming off when it does. That ' s different for every body. For me, it took a week for me to " see " it. On the scale it started the first day.
Read up on how the diet works. By asking how many carbs you can have after Induction and in Maintenance makes we wonder if you ' ve read beyond how to do Induction. It ' s an involved process and best read over and over to understand it. For a quick answer... the first week after induction you get 5 more grams of vegetables per day, so 25 that week. On page 171 in the DANDR book you ' ll find the " ladder " of carb foods to add back, 5 g at a time, per week.
How many carbs a person can eat and still lose is dependent on that person. Same for maintenance. It depends on that person ' s metabolic rate and exercise. You have to figure it out yourself... for your body. No easy answer.
Tril
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Tue Jul 29, 2008 3: 15 pm    Post subject:
I ' d like to add that during induction as long as you are watching the carbs you ' re going to have results and won ' t NEED to be weighing yourself and your inches as much, however when you step off of induction is when you will start wanting to be tracking your situation.
Stepping off into OWL ' s and Maintenance cycles is when you need to monitor how your body reacts to the cab increases, so you can determine what your maximum carbohydrate level is. Once you have determined that, then you can move it around a bit by exercising more, taking out carbs, putting in carbs, and maintain your weight, energy level and health efficiently.
arose026
New Member
Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 4
Fri Aug 01, 2008 3: 18 pm    Post subject: BACK AT DAY 1
well... I did it again... I went off atkins and back to carbs because I felt suddenly in the morning like I was going to faint and throw up. I was soooooooooo weak and I had to do alot of physical labour that day... last night I went on the scale and I gained two pounds. Im the heaviest Ive been in a long time and I need to lose the weight. Im going back to Atkins again today but why do I feel so sick and weak after the first and second day? What can I do to prevent that?
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Fri Aug 01, 2008 3: 44 pm    Post subject:
" but why do I feel so sick and weak after the first and second day "
Because it takes about 48 hours for your body to use up any stored glycogen... and it ' s at that point, when you ' re depleted, that your body has to make the switch to lipolysis, the burning of fatty acids for energy as opposed to glucose. Yes, it makes you feel rotten, but by giving in and eating carbs you stopped the process just when you were " this " close to breaking through to the other side.
What can you do? Eat often. Eat protein and plenty of fat and some veggie carbs... spread your 20 grams out over the day. If you eat 6 mini meals / snacks, have about 3 net grams of carb each time. Stay hydrated. You might also consider slowly reducing your carb intake. Start at 40 a day... then go down to 35, 30, 25 and finally 20.
Hope this helps. In the end, though, you may just have to push through it. Time it so you start low carbing on days you can pamper yourself and hot have to push yourself with a busy schedule.
Tril
spencer
New Member
Joined: 28 Jul 2008
Posts: 10
Sat Aug 02, 2008 12: 24 am    Post subject:
Hello
Congrats on your new diet.
I ' m also new and I ' m on my 7th day.
I had similar sick feeling when I started, but it only lasted three or four days.
I just kept reminding myself that it a good thing, it was a sign that my body was getting off carbs and attacking the fat.
Please stick with it and don ' t give in to carbs. After a few days you ' ll feel great.
Good Luck
Spencer
Rooley
Senior Member
Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 365
Location: England UK
Sat Aug 02, 2008 11: 43 pm    Post subject:
Welcome!
tonik999
Established Member
Joined: 24 Jul 2008
Posts: 86
Location: SW Virginia
Sun Aug 03, 2008 12: 21 am    Post subject:
Stick to it... I too felt weird and lightheaded at first, but it goes away fast and then you ' ll start feeling great!! [ / icon_smile. gif]

No comments: