Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 11, 2008

I just don ' t get it
Author
Message
shenue
Recognized Member
Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 129
Tue Jan 23, 2007 1: 22 pm    Post subject: I just don ' t get it
Not only did I not lose any weight.... again..... today but I am weighing 2 lbs heavier. [ / icon_cry. gif] I swear I am sticking to induction. Not a single bite of anything not allowed. The keto strip is turning dark purple dip after dip, day after day, and still no weight loss in 5 days and now this gain of 2 lbs. This is very very discouraging.
Bluehex I know you said not to worriment yet, but is it this common to smartly stop losing weight the 4th day of induction like this? I ' m on my 9th day and I ' ve lost nothing since the 4th day and now actually have gained 2 lbs. back. If I was cheating I ' d say, well it makes sense not to lose weight. But I ' ve not cheated once since I started induction. I ' m not ready to give up yet because I lost weight before on Atkins.... but jeezeee I ' m beginning to astonishment what ' s different this time than the last.
bluehex
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Dec 2003
Posts: 2663
Setting: Warsaw, Poland
Tue Jan 23, 2007 5: 02 pm    Post subject:
The second time on Atkins is always much more difficult than first - sporty results on Induction are strictly reserved for first - timers! I guess the second time around your body already knows how to combat your weightloss efforts. If you look through the old posts, you ' ll see that everyone doing Atkins for the second time complains about difficulties.
I know it ' s not much of a consolation, but I haven ' t even lost the 5 lbs you have... It ' s my third week of Induction and I am yoyo - ing 2 lbs up and down, up and down. But my pants feel looser. And in the final consummation, I don ' t want to be lighter, I want to be thinner. I ' d eagerly stay at 260, as long as I can wear size 8!
Stop weighing yourself, it will only drive you crazy. Give it a month, and then check your clothes rather than the scales.
shenue
Celebrated Member
Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 129
Tue Jan 23, 2007 5: 17 pm    Post subject:
I ' m sitting here smiling. I keep telling myself..... Self, don ' t weight yourself every day. At the most, just once a week. I, like many other that I ' ve read their posts on the forum, find that just about impossible to do. lol But, I ' ll give it a really good try, conceivably in baby steps. I ' m going to try to keep from weighing myself until Friday. It will be a real challenge. I know it ' s been said that on low - carb, you can lose inches instead of necessairly losing lbs with it. But common sense also says that if inches are being lost, the fat that took up that space is going climactically, especially if Ketosis is in full force, so logically the weight MUST drop. So if clothes are getting looser, that means fat is being lost and for logically weight must be dropping. * sigh * It ' s enough to boggle my little pea - brain. lol But as I said, I ' m not ready to give up yet. I ' m hanging in there. I ' m so glad you answer my posts, Bluehex. I think if no one answered, I ' d get even more discouraged very very quickly... enough to perhaps say the heck with it. So eventhough you don ' t know me, at least I feel like someone cares enough to answer my posts and hang in there with me. Thanks so much!!!!
bluehex
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Dec 2003
Posts: 2663
Direction: Warsaw, Poland
Tue Jan 23, 2007 7: 56 pm    Post subject:
shenue wrote:
But common sense also says that if inches are being lost, the fat that took up that space is going ultimately, especially if Ketosis is in full force, so logically the weight MUST drop. So if clothes are getting looser, that means fat is being lost and wherefore logically weight must be dropping.
Not absolutely so. You know, that fat cells are essentially like balloons that go up and down in size, right? A little known fact is, that as fat is being burned, the cell fills temporarily with water. And water is much, much heavier than fat ( but takes less space ). So it is fairly normal to be heavier and thinner, for a while. In this time, when you ' ve lost quite a bit, you can also sometimes feel a change in your body nature, it feels different to touch. After some time the water is released and you experience something that the members here have affectionately dubbed a " whoosh ". Search the forum for it, and you ' ll see.
shenue
Obvious Member
Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 129
Tue Jan 23, 2007 8: 07 pm    Post subject:
Bluehex..
hmmm I knew that fat cells are like balloons, they deflate and never actually go away..... always ready to fill up again. I ' ve never heard that they fill with water. Where did you learn that? Is that in Dr. Atkins book?
I ' m still waiting for mine to get here... hopefully in the mail in the next few days.
What do you mean about a change in body description? How so?
How is your determination holding out after the 2 lbs up and down yoyo? How long have you been on induction?
I ' m still sticking to the diet and not giving up yet. Hopefully as long at the keto strip keeps turning purple, that will give me enough urge to keep going even if the weight loss takes a little more time to show up on the scale.
A little added note: yeayyy my book just got here [ / icon_smile. gif]
bluehex
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Dec 2003
Posts: 2663
Locality: Warsaw, Poland
Tue Jan 23, 2007 9: 45 pm    Post subject:
About water in fat cells: It is not from Dr Atkins book, I learned it from a doctor I used to go to. He specializes in diets, but he kind of believes in low - calorie; worked not - too - well for me, but that is not relevant here. Point is, he explained the whole metabolic step to me, almost as if I took a medical course. All about ATP, and such. He told me about the water and about body bag. Now, it gets a bit gross, but you asked for it...
Fat is kind of springy when you touch it, but when you water up your flesh feels more like a balloon filled with water - it ' s loose and heavy and if you stick your finger in it, feels a bit like jello. And you treat to look worse than when you were fat... But then it is supposed to shrink, as water is released. Don ' t know, never actually got to this phase.
As for determination - I have no problem with it. I have nothing to lose - nothing else works with me, so if I don ' t do Atkins, I ' ll just keep getting fatter. I like Atkins friendly food, I ' m at last a carnivore. Even Induction food can be totally good if you take a creative road to cooking. On Atkins I ' m not hungry - and that in itself is a treasure, because since I was born fat, I ' ve been trying to get slimmer since I can ever remember; even in primary school the school nurse made it her ambition to get me " normal ". All in all, most of my life I went hungry in a world of plenty. I ate fat - free food, calorie - free food, food that tasted like cardboard. I counted, I kept a journal, I adhered to doctors ' orders. At one point, I ' ve even learned not to eat any food, just drank four pints of milk a day. For three months. All I can say is: kids - don ' t do it at home... Now I get to eat food that actually has a taste, I ' m never hungry, I don ' t have to count every molecule that goes into my mouth. Shenue, I ' m a deliriously happy girl.
I don ' t set myself any deadlines or goals, to avoid disappointments - failure is demotivating. I am aware the road will be rocky and I might never actually get to be " normal ". But I know I eat healthy and it will prevent me from gaining more. So I just look at it as a change of lifestyle rather than a quick fix. Imagine you decided to walk, on foot, to - say - Africa. After four days, would you be disappointed you aren ' t there yet? It ' s a long way to Africa. So you just have to keep on walking, and eventually you will get somewhere.
shenue
Established Member
Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 129
Wed Jan 24, 2007 2: 44 pm    Post subject:
Bluehex...
first, check your PM ' s please. I ' ve left one for you.
Ok... I did a number of searches online about fat cells being filled with water and eventhough I couldn ' t find any medical info about it like on health pages or doctors pages, etc. I did find several other mentions of it, much what you had said. It does make sense. It makes sense that something is replacing the fat if the keto strip keeps turning purple and yet the weight loss isn ' t showing. I also saw a mention or two about the woosh on other places on the web. How, if you keep hanging in there and stick with the plan, eventually the woosh hits, whether it be a few weeks or a few months. So, at least for now and hopefully, I will hang in there with induction and try to be patient enough to wait for my woosh, whether it be a couple weeks or couple months..... Persionally I ' m betting on ' months ' for me.
My lifelong diet history is a lot like yours. I was a fat pre - schooler and fat all through life with the occasional weight losses from starving myself when I was pre - teen and in my teens and early 20s. I knew no other way except to cut back to about 500 cals., to lose weight. The typical 1000 cals or 1200 cal diets never worked for me. Anyway, I can remember in high school taking a cup of canned green beans as my lunch and just being miserable all day long, hungry, hunger pangs.... etc. I had one occasion in the 12 grade where I actually got down to 120 lbs ( for all of about 1 day... and I literally mean 1 day ). I squeezed into a size 10 for that day and shoot even then the other kids still called me names because I was " fat " and not a tiny size 4 or 6 or whatever. OMG I ' d kill to get down to a size 10 now. LOL Actually I ' d kill to get down to a 16. [ / icon_smile. gif] Through my starving diets, I graduated highschool, I think probably wearing a size 14 weighing about 145. Anyway for most of my adult life ( since about the age of 29 ) I ' ve been a size 24 or 26 ( 90 % of the time a 26 ) except the few times I lost some weight on Atkins, but of course gained it back. Before the age of 29, in my mid to later 20s I was about a size 22. I think I had discovered Atkins, gosh, maybe in the late 70s or 80ish. I yoyo ' d up and down over the years on Atkins. I managed to get down to a size 18 ( which lasted about a month, 8 years ago, using Atkins with about an 80 lb loss... gained it all back ), but haven ' t been below a size 22 since then.... even when I lost that 60 lbs a few years ago. So now at age 55, and physically disabled, I have had high hopes of loosing weight and this time keeping it off. I know it won ' t be easy because this is probably my 5th or 6th serious Atkin try over the last 30 years. I ' ve always lost some weight ( from around 15 to 80 lbs ), but have always gained it back. Soooo......
I ' m going to try very very hard, to hang in there while waiting for my ' wooshhhhh '.
And now that I have told you wayyyyy more about myself than you ever wanted to know [ / icon_redface. gif] I ' ll stop.............. for now [ / icon_wink. gif] LOL
By the way, the scale hasn ' t budged this morning, but I ' m still purple. I know, I know I said I would try not to weight myself this morning, but I caved in and did it... I ' m weak. * sigh * [ / icon_cry. gif]
Last edited by shenue on Fri Jan 26, 2007 3: 05 pm; edited 1 time in total
shenue
Established Member
Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 129
Thu Jan 25, 2007 3: 55 pm    Post subject:
Bluehex did you read my post on this string directly above this one?
Anyway, I ' m back down to 255 this morning. So... we ' ll see what happens next. Either way, I ' m sticking with it... not ready to give up. I ' m being very careful to stick to induction and I write down everything that I eat, when I eat it, so I ' m sure not to screw up. OK.. so I ' m going to go post my progress over on the progress forum. Again, thanks for all the input.
Last edited by shenue on Wed Feb 07, 2007 4: 23 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluehex
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Dec 2003
Posts: 2663
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Thu Jan 25, 2007 7: 35 pm    Post subject:
Yes, I read it and PMd you back. Thanks for sharing your story, and, sorry to say, with your diet history and sedentary lifestyle months indeed seem more likely than weeks... [ / icon_sad. gif] And for me, too. So I do my best just not to wait for the results, but go on regardless.
Clothes feel definitely looser, though.
rconnor
Established Member
Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 35
Location: Norman Oklahoma
Thu Jan 25, 2007 8: 54 pm    Post subject:
Bluehex!! Thank you so much for sharing this information! I am currently at 167 ( down from 230 when I started the diet in June ) BUT I still feel fat. At first I thought it might just be a bad self - image but I just feel jiggly all over! I don ' t know its loose skin, or cells retaining water., but anywho it ' s depressing me. As anyone else had the problem?? I ' ve been strict on the diet ( but lacking seriously on the working out ). If anyone knows anyway to improve their " jiggliness " PLEASE HELP!
towhook
Senior Member
Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 285
Location: Dallas, Tx
Thu Jan 25, 2007 10: 47 pm    Post subject:
I love that walking to Africa analogy, Bluehex.
shenue
Established Member
Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 129
Fri Jan 26, 2007 3: 01 pm    Post subject:
Well I don ' t know if it ' s because I had a... ummm... well a BM [ / icon_redface. gif] right before I weighed this morning, but I was 254 lbs. I broke the 255 barrier, BUT we all know that tomorrow I could be 257 again. oh well... we shall see and no matter what the scale says... I ' m sticking to this. I do know my clothes are getting looser. I ' ve only been on this for a month and really only strictly for the last week and a half. Before that, I was definitely more off, than on, the diet.
I should have taken body measurements before I started, so I could compare now, but I didn ' t. * sigh *
Last edited by shenue on Wed Feb 07, 2007 4: 24 pm; edited 1 time in total
shenue
Established Member
Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 129
Mon Feb 05, 2007 6: 59 pm    Post subject:
I finally weighed in at 252 lbs this morning, but doubt that it will stick right away. I ' ve basically been stuck between 255 to 253 for over two weeks. I keep bouncing up and down each day. But today is the first day I did hit 252, so at least my bouncing should be between 252 and 254.. hopefully. And then finally settle into 252 and down more. Keeping my fingers crossed.
shenue
Established Member
Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 129
Wed Feb 07, 2007 4: 29 pm    Post subject:
The weight is coming off again... slowly. But at least it is moving. I have to admit I had to go on a more stringent low carb way of dieting but it has broken the barrier.... yeay
shenue
Established Member
Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 129
Sat Feb 10, 2007 7: 36 pm    Post subject:
Hi all.......
I just wanted to report that since going on a more strict form of low - carbing, I broke past that pleatau that had plagued me and have lost 6 lbs the past 6 days. I know that rate of loss won ' t continue, but I feel so much better now that the weight is dropping again.
Lexi ' s Omi
Senior Member
Joined: 05 Dec 2003
Posts: 3376
Location: Southernmost Central British Columbia
Mon Feb 19, 2007 7: 03 am    Post subject:
Congrats, sounds like you ' re on your way! [ / icon_biggrin. gif]
shenue
Established Member
Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 129
Fri Feb 23, 2007 4: 07 pm    Post subject:
Lexi ' s Omi I can ' t thank you enough for your positive feedback to me. That is always a boost when we are trying to lose weight!! It helps keep me motivated.
katty. weber
Established Member
Joined: 11 Feb 2007
Posts: 94
Fri Feb 23, 2007 6: 10 pm    Post subject:
congratulations shenue!!
your hard work is paying off! sticking with it is the key, it is bound to come off!
keep it up! [ / icon_biggrin. gif]
katty. weber
shenue
Established Member
Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 129
Fri Feb 23, 2007 10: 49 pm    Post subject:
Thanks Katty!! I appreciate your positive remarks also. Keeps me going.
Bliss Pirate
Senior Member
Joined: 06 Jan 2004
Posts: 3106
Location: St. Paul, MN
Sat Feb 24, 2007 3: 28 am    Post subject:
Congrats on your new progress!
You mentioned your being more strict about carbs, what has changed? How and what were you eating when you were not loosing that you are not eating now?
shenue
Established Member
Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 129
Sat Apr 21, 2007 9: 21 am    Post subject:
A long time in answering, but I ' ve been gone for a couple months.
Bliss Pirate... What I did was cut way way down on the fat, which has also reduced the calorie intake. I just couldn ' t lose with all that fat in my diet. I have lost almost 20 more pounds since my last post of almost 2 month ago. This makes a total of 43 pounds now. I have found my nitch in low carb dieting. I still keep my carbs fairly low, under 20 a day. But sometimes I go over them by eating more green veges. But the weight will still come off. I ' ve had a mini plateau here and there but not for long each time.
To everyone that was encouraging to me before I left back in February, hello and I hope you all are doing well! And I don ' t just mean with weight loss, I mean overall well in your lives.
Hugs to all.11 октября 2008 г.

No comments: