Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 13, 2008

Keeping Strictly to Induction But Little Results
Author
Message
Myers186@nctv. com
New Member
Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Posts: 11
Sun Jul 27, 2008 4: 12 pm    Post subject: Keeping Strictly to Induction But Little Results
Hi All..
Have been keeping strictly to ALL the induction elements and at first I began to lose a little weight ( 2 lbs ) a few days into the first week and now I am back to nearly where I started after nearly 8 days on induction.
Others are writing they don ' t see any inches lost but for me the scale is going up! Each day the ketostix indicates that I am getting further in ketosis - - am now dark lavender but the scale is not cooperating. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Car [ / icon_smile. gif]
HayleyUK
New Member
Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Locus: UK
Sun Jul 27, 2008 5: 44 pm    Post subject: Im exactly the same!
Hi there,
Im on day 8 of induction.. and gone down 3 pounds and then back up 2. I dont think ive lost inches either. Ive been sticking to it and not cheated once, i havent even been eating that much as ive lost my appetite. SO FRUSTRATING!
I have the ketostix and only managed to turn them light pink twice, whats wrong with me?! Whys it not working? Anybody else had this and it started to work later?
I dont get it.
Please help!!!
tanjicak
Accepted Member
Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Posts: 56
Sun Jul 27, 2008 7: 42 pm    Post subject:
What is your daily menu?
If you are strictly on Atkins, you must be in ketosis.
I am now 20 days, and I have been in the same sitation. Do not bitch if you are following strictly and eat only aceptable food, you will see the first results in the next 5 - 6 days. That was the case with me.
Now I have lost 8 lb, and every day I am loosing more and more.
Just keep on trying.
good luck
HayleyUK
New Member
Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Locality: UK
Sun Jul 27, 2008 10: 51 pm    Post subject: thanks
Thanks for the encouragement, it seems that people only wanna criticise my efforts!
An example of a day would be something like..
3 scrambled eggs for breakfast
A snack of some cheese and chorizo ( i checked that its zero carb )
low carb shepherds pie ( mince, a little onion, garlic and chillie ) with 4 cauliflour florettes mashed with butter on top with cheese
Chicken with cajun spice with a handfull of spinach.
I have been so carefull, i have read the book, i check everything i eat and i havent seen any results. I do have more energy though and less hunger. Did it take this long for it to work for you?
Thanks H touch
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Situation: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Sun Jul 27, 2008 11: 21 pm    Post subject:
Hayley... sorry you were criticized conclusively. Sure hope it wasn ' t HERE! Anyway... looking at your menu I ' m perplexed as well. You should be seeing something by now if this is the way you ' ve been eating. Other things that pop into my head...
How much do you weigh, how tall are you, how old are you... how much do you want to lose?
Have you ever done Atkins or any other low / controlled carb diet?
Are you PG or nursing?
Did you start the diet right before or during your menstrual course?
Do you have thyroid issues... do you take meds... are you diabetic... other health concerns?
Are you exercising? Are you drinking enough fluids? Are you taking an iron - free multivitamin?
There ' s got to be an answer. Look in the DANDR book and read chapters 20 - 26 to see if you place yourself in there. He goes through a LOT of reasons / causes for difficult weight loss.
Tril
HayleyUK
New Member
Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Direction: UK
Sun Jul 27, 2008 11: 32 pm    Post subject: argh
Nah just my housemates think im crazy!
Im 5ft9 ( 175 cm ), weigh 9st 10 ( 61. 9kg )... you may think im crazy, however, before i started university i was 8st 7, and the lifestyle just hasnt agreed with me unfortunately. I only want to lost 10lbs to feel better, as i have a small frame and dont transact weight very well.
I did start the diet during my mentstrual circuit, but its over now so surely any water weight would have disapeared?
Ive never seriously dont a low carb diet... ive tried once or twice but given up, this is my first serious attempt.
Ive recently started taking birth control which i know can hinder weight loss, but its the mini pill ( progesterone only ) and i hear its the oestrogen you have to be carefull of.
Dont get me wrong... the scales have gone down, but went right back up again. Argh! Ive been using ketostix and ive twice seen traces.
Does the atkins diet work for everyone? Im so confused, i just want to feel good on holiday!
Thanks [ / icon_smile. gif]
Btw Tril.. i saw some of your photos earlier.... all i can say is WOW!
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Bearings: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Sun Jul 27, 2008 11: 44 pm    Post subject:
Hayley... looking at your statistics ( height and weight ) I ' d say that you don ' t " need " to lose anything. Because your body weight is already so low for your height, it may be that eating low carb is corresponding eating too much. For a woman 5 ' 9 " with a small frame, your weight range is 129 - 142. Converted that ' s 58. 6kg to 64. 5kg... at 61. 9 you ' re " there ". Weight loss will be VERY slow for you... like. 75kg per MONTH. Seriously... you can low carb if you want, but it would be unreasonable for you to think it ' s going to happen fast like it does for a woman 50 - 100# overweight, ya know?
The pill and your cycle could effect your results, but I think it ' s just that you have very little body fat left to burn.
Tril
HayleyUK
New Member
Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Location: UK
Sun Jul 27, 2008 11: 50 pm    Post subject:
yeh i know im being impatient, and maybe looking at this like a quickfix. Ive always been small... accepting my new shapely body is proving difficult. Thanks for your help! Youre obviously somewhat of an expert on this diet!
H x
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Sun Jul 27, 2008 11: 53 pm    Post subject:
You could try doing what Dr. Atkins used to advise in the other books, which is dropping the carbs down more in the beginning to kickstart the situation.
Also exercise works.
HayleyUK
New Member
Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Location: UK
Sun Jul 27, 2008 11: 57 pm    Post subject:
Does that mean no vegetables?
I dont know where else i could cut my carbs from.. maybe cheese i suppose?
I do exercise, im struggling as i have an injury, but im always active.
H x
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Mon Jul 28, 2008 4: 49 am    Post subject:
It means less carbs. The version of the book I have, he speaks of resistant people dropping to 15 carbs or sometimes 10 carbs on induction, but only if they are definitely resisting getting into ketosis. With only 10 lbs to lose your ketosis isn ' t going to have a ton of fat to burn, although the ladies carry more fat naturally than the guys do.
At the risk of delving into dangerous territory, there are parts of girls bodies that have fat on them that they dont want to lose the fat from. You may want to take that into effect.
What ' s your injury?
HayleyUK
New Member
Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Location: UK
Mon Jul 28, 2008 9: 49 am    Post subject:
I have overpronation of my feet and doing a lot of exercise has caused knee and lower back problems, i aggrivated my sciatic nerve ( im only 20, i feel 70! )
Is it possible to gain muscle when doing the atkins depite not doing much weight training?
I used a body fat monitor and the % age was really low... much lower than it was when i was a lot smaller and lighter. Im so baffled, if my body fat is low why am i so much heavier and wider? Im not a muscley girl either.
I have the book, i might follow the plan for resistant people.
HayleyUK
New Member
Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Location: UK
Mon Jul 28, 2008 9: 50 am    Post subject:
I have overpronation of my feet and doing a lot of exercise has caused knee and lower back problems, i aggrivated my sciatic nerve ( im only 20, i feel 70! )
Is it possible to gain muscle when doing the atkins depite not doing much weight training?
I used a body fat monitor and the % age was really low... much lower than it was when i was a lot smaller and lighter. Im so baffled, if my body fat is low why am i so much heavier and wider? Im not a muscley girl either.
I have the book, i might follow the plan for resistant people.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Mon Jul 28, 2008 10: 16 am    Post subject:
Kyp... she ' s 5 ' 9 " tall and weighs 136. That puts her BMI at 20. 1. She doesn ' t need to eat less carbs. She ' s fine where she is. I think it ' s " not working " because she ' s already at a good weight for her height.
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Mon Jul 28, 2008 2: 00 pm    Post subject:
it ' s neither here nor there for me to determine if someone is good for their weight at 136 and 5 ' 9.
it kinda depends on bone structure IMHO anyway.
However if you are pretty sedentary, you may look fatter because your muscle mass is atrophied. that would cause you to look soft and squishy.
HayleyUK
New Member
Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Location: UK
Mon Jul 28, 2008 3: 01 pm    Post subject:
I dont really think its about numbers etc... its how you feel. I just want to feel like i did before. Especially as i have booked a holiday and have to wear a bikini!
Ive tried low fat diets, eating less etc, but as soon as i have any carbs i crave sugar all day and get really tired and have to take naps etc. I think i may be insulin resistent but i darent go to the docs incase they think im a hypochondriac haha. Thanks for the help guys.
H x
tonik999
Established Member
Joined: 24 Jul 2008
Posts: 86
Location: SW Virginia
Mon Jul 28, 2008 4: 53 pm    Post subject:
Car,
If you are sticking to the plan, it will work! I had a very slow start too; only 2. 5 lbs by day 8, but by day 14, was down 8. 5 lbs. I started during TOM and saw some days where I went up too, which was quite frustrating. Do you feel better; more energy, etc? That ' s what kept me going on those days I gained... and the posts on this site. Hang in there, it WILL work!! [ / icon_smile. gif]
Myers186@nctv. com
New Member
Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Posts: 11
Sat Aug 02, 2008 7: 24 pm    Post subject: Reading for Encouragement
Hello All..
Am reading all your words for encouragement. Had my 14 day weigh - in after my induction and I have lost one pound and 2 / 10 and I have really been faithful. I have been in ketosis the whole time but the scale does not show it. Not surprisingly, I am crestfallen. I feel smaller and I took some measurements and there are reductions there but the scales says no.
Thanks for listening to my whining!
Car [ / icon_smile. gif]
barbimathisen
Established Member
Joined: 29 Jul 2008
Posts: 194
Location: Renton, WA
Sat Aug 02, 2008 10: 01 pm    Post subject:
Quote:
I used a body fat monitor and the % age was really low... much lower than it was when i was a lot smaller and lighter. Im so baffled, if my body fat is low why am i so much heavier and wider? Im not a muscley girl either.
Hayley, based on everything you ' ve said, I would say the answer is probably the simplest one. Your body has matured. Your hips have most likely widened which makes you think you are wider. Our hips are designed that way so that babies can make the trip out of the birth canal.

No comments: