Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 13, 2008

need help with ketostix
Author
Message
tanjicak
Admitted Member
Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Posts: 56
Interlace Jul 30, 2008 6: 58 pm    Post subject: need help with ketostix
I have some strange results with my ketostix which I do not understand. Usually in the morning my ketostick is light pink, but in the afternoon becomes dark violet.
Does it mean that in the morning I am out of ketosis, and the situation changes so quikly, that in the evening I am in huge ketosis.
Today happend that in the morning ketostick was middle purple, and in the evening was almost white. I really cannot understand because I am under 20 gr of carbs. Today and yesterday I ate less then 15 for sure.
Can somebody help me.
Thanks
stephani501
Common Member
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Posts: 133
Spot: Seattle, Washington
Lump together Jul 30, 2008 9: 02 pm    Post subject:
Are you drinking enough water?
tanjicak
Common Member
Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Posts: 56
Splice Jul 30, 2008 9: 47 pm    Post subject:
I drink at least 10 big glasses of water daily it is about 3l of water. Tonight my ketostick is almost white and I am going to panic, because I do not know what I was doing wrong. I exercise twice a day, each time 30 daybook ad I am pretty sure that I am under 20 carbs a day.
It is my 22nd day on Atkins. I have lost weight, not much as I hoped maybe 10lb, but everything is good. I have been owerweight more then 8 years.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Position: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Stick together Jul 30, 2008 10: 41 pm    Post subject:
Read this: http: / / lowcarbsite. com / forum / viewtopic. php? t=1601
I would guess that the color is changing for several reasons. Exercise will use up ketones ( for energy ) so you ' ll have fewer show up in your urine ( light color ). Dietary fat will cause MORE ketones so after you eat you ' ll get a darker reading. Throw the stix away. Stop driving yourself nuts with them. They really don ' t mean much when you realize all the ways that the results can be effected.
arsieiuni
Familiar Member
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Posts: 125
Footing: Alabama
Thu Jul 31, 2008 6: 44 am    Post subject:
Tanji! Don ' t bother!
Listen to what Tril said! Nymph is right! The ketone sticks aren ' t completely accurate. They work better for some people than others. Just ignore them. If you are under 20 net grams carbohydrates, you are surely in ketosis! Just keep up your diet and you will see results as time goes on!
I ' m so excited for you! I know you will have more pounds down soon!
Shei
tanjicak
Patent Member
Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Posts: 56
Thu Jul 31, 2008 8: 38 am    Post subject:
Thanks
yesterday I went on panic, but now I am ok. Maybe some crisis, I was very nervous, maybe because my husband and my brother were eating spaghetti and ice creme all day.
I am now inactive, and I know that I am doing everithing all right, I exercise, and there must come success.
I did not undestand that part with ketons in urine, but now I have red that article, and everything is clear. Thanks again
ceecee
New Member
Joined: 28 Jul 2008
Posts: 10
Thu Jul 31, 2008 2: 24 pm    Post subject:
wow, I was going to ask a similar question about the ketosis sticks. I, too, am doing everything by the book and am getting different results each time.
If they ' re not consistent / accurate, why are they recommended? [ / icon_confused. gif]
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Thu Jul 31, 2008 2: 39 pm    Post subject:
They are reasonably accurate, just not 100 percent reliable. If you understand the things that affect them, you can still use them occasionall to double check that you are still in ketosis. The point of the sticks technically for Atkins dieters is not to get a better color, but to make certain that it IS changing color, for as long as you are in Ketosis, your body is still burning fat for its energy.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Thu Jul 31, 2008 5: 38 pm    Post subject:
They ' re not consistent because our bodies are not consistently putting out, or using up, the same number of ketones minute by minute. A high fat meal with make the sticks purple. Going hours with without eating but still drinking copious amounts of water will make barely a color change on a stick, if at all. Does that mean when you ' re eating butter on your steak that you ' re losing more weight than when you ' re only drinking water between breakfast and dinner? Use the sticks once in a while on your first pee of the day. It ' s like the scale... it will read differently during the day. So use one once or twice a week if you ' re curious and forget about it. The sticks are just one of the many tools we have to help us stay motivated and on track.
tanjicak
Established Member
Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Posts: 56
Fri Aug 01, 2008 6: 02 am    Post subject:
Than you for answer
I agree that I should use them occasionaly. I just felt like I was doing something wrong. But yesterday I bought a scale ( of course I am very depressed now because I have 30 lb more that I hoped to had, I didnot measured myself for more than 3 years ), and I am going to measure myself and in that way I will follow progress.
Uh my goal just raised to 90 lb. But I am determinated.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Fri Aug 01, 2008 11: 19 am    Post subject:
Tanji... nothing changed but your perception of reality. You always had that amount to lose, yesterday you learned about it. It ' s good that you got yourself a scale. Besides, it will be much sweeter in the end to say, " I lost 90#! " instead of, " I lost 60#! ". [ / icon_smile. gif] You can do it, I know you can. Just never, EVER quit. No matter what... never stop trying. Every day you get up determined to have a good day you ' ll learn something... and eventually it will all come together and you ' ll get there.
Tril
tanjicak
Established Member
Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Posts: 56
Fri Aug 01, 2008 1: 39 pm    Post subject:
oh Tril, you are sweethart.
It will be difficult struggle, but it is worth.
I was so sad yestrday, I donot know how I have finished with so many kgs. I donot know how I have allowed myself to be so fat. I didnot sleep last night at all I was thinking about that.
But my problem is when I see myself in the mirror I donot see very fat body, I just see me, I am used to this picture. If I would see that body on somebody else I will probably think that is horrible. But on me..
Only now I am aware that I have gone with my weight very badly.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Fri Aug 01, 2008 3: 50 pm    Post subject:
Okay... so let ' s just accept that where you are, is where you are... and start working on changing that, ok? Being sad or upset won ' t change anything. Use it, though, to feed your determination to make a change... starting right now.
Tril
tanjicak
Established Member
Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Posts: 56
Fri Aug 01, 2008 5: 03 pm    Post subject:
I just imagine picture of myself thiner, with 60lb less, and I have motivation. Thanks for suporrt again, you are so fantastic
ps my name iz Tanja ( Tanya ) and on my language tanjicak means little tanya [ / icon_biggrin. gif]
[ / icon_biggrin. gif]

No comments: