Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 13, 2008

Vegetarian on atkins
Author
Message
liv3
New Member
Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Posts: 6
Tue Dec 12, 2006 9: 34 am    Post subject: Vegetarian on atkins
Hi, I have just started the atkins diet... I will shortly be starting day number 5 and so far so good. My problem is, while I eat fish, I just finished reading about mercury levels and how it is really only safe to eat at most 2 portions of fish a week. I ' ve already eaten enough fish for a month according to that requirement. I want to lose weight, but I don ' t want to risk my health and reproductive health to do it. I really hope I haven ' t. Has anyone read about it.... it ' s very scary!!
I guess what I ' m wondering is can I eat a strict egg diet on atkins as my source of protein, at least during induction? And then hopefully I ' ll be able to add in some tofu and other invented meat substitutes? Is anyone on this board a vegetarian or know of one who is on the atkins diet?
Also, any egg recipies? I have a feeling I ' m going to need some new and inventive ways to do eggs.
Thank you so much!!
molley
Senior Member
Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 839
Location: VT
Mon Dec 18, 2006 5: 49 am    Post subject:
I ' m surprised no one has yet responded. The egg thing is a great idea and that ' s what i would suggest. I think, depdning on where your fish comes from the mercury thing might also not be that high of a threat. And depending on what type of fish.
Eggs, I don ' [t know recipes specifically but crustless quiche, egg salad, and omelettes are what come to mind for me.
Good luck!
molley
Senior Member
Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 839
Location: VT
Mon Dec 18, 2006 5: 50 am    Post subject: addendum
With the types of fish thing again: the fish can only have elevated levels of mercury if their habitat has elevated levels of mercury
bluehex
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Dec 2003
Posts: 2663
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Mon Dec 18, 2006 8: 25 am    Post subject:
There are responses to this post in Induction thread. See, that ' s what happens if you post the same thing in more than one forum....
molley
Senior Member
Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 839
Location: VT
Wed Dec 20, 2006 11: 49 pm    Post subject:
ahh
elouet
New Member
Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Posts: 5
Location: Illinois, USA
Sun Jun 08, 2008 1: 15 pm    Post subject:
I ' m a vegetarian! I also eat fish, for my health. I can ' t say for sure about the mercury, but I know many people eat fish many times a week and are fine. I think it depends on the type of fish, for example tuna is highly susceptible to mercury, but you ' ll have to do some research. I hope all goes well!

No comments: