Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 13, 2008

Potassium
Author
Message
chicago. cyclist
New Member
Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Posts: 16
Locale: Chicago
Sat Aug 02, 2008 5: 12 pm    Post subject: Potassium
I tried to search the archives and found the following advice:
1 ) Eat veggies with potassium
2 ) Supplements are a joke because they only give you 300 when you need 2000, etc.
But on induction, veggies are limited. Spinach - - 10 oz raw ( if you could stand to eat that much ) - - only gives about 30 % of one ' s DRI. If I ' m going to spend two or three weeks on induction, I need to up my potassium - - especially as I start to exercise again.
The foods richest in potassium either aren ' t allowed on induction or are limited. If we ' re only supposed to have 2 - 3 cups of vegetables, I don ' t see how someone can get enough potassium.
Let ' s say I wanted to get my potassium from swiss chard ( the most potassium - dense per calorie ) - - 1 cup cooked has about 27 %, so even if I ate three cups ( and since no other veggies... ) I still wouldn ' t be getting enough.
I take several different supplements now, but potassium is one I am concerned about because we need it in such higher quantities than most other minerals, and the results of a deficiency can be sort of bad.
Advice?
Thanks,
- - Chris
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Sat Aug 02, 2008 6: 11 pm    Post subject:
Beef, Chicken, and Fish are huge on potassium.
Also if you feel like being a bit sneaky, the old atkins shakes in the can have 600mg potassium per, a lot of people still stock em.
KypDurron
Senior Member
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Location: Wisconsin
Sat Aug 02, 2008 6: 12 pm    Post subject:
Also I was on a severely reduced calorie during my heavy weight loss section, eating probalby less than 900 mg of potassium, nd i was ok. Its a concern, but not as bad as I thought it was.

No comments: