Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 10, 2008

Thoughts about Atkins
Author
Message
cash_money
Manifest Member
Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 117
Copulate Jan 05, 2005 2: 15 am    Post subject: Thoughts about Atkins
I ' ve been reshaping my opinion on Atkins lately especially since I quit eating lowcarb about 3 weeks ago. Things are going pretty well for me as I ' m still loosing weight and actually enjoying eating.
I think this is kind of nuts to keep doing this to ourselves, I ' m not confident when people say that they don ' t feel less energetic, mentaliy acute or happy eating isolated whey protiens while doing atkins regardless how many veggies they eat. People who are stalling for Buss months possibly it makes more sense to try something fairly instead.
My experience with Atkins my first and hopefully last diet has helped me learn what kind of foods I need and which I don ' t and while trying to stay in sanity I ' ve learned to like some new foods and avoid others like the plauge they are. I think the changes are lasting and I can continue either loosing or maintaining my weight from this point.
I know everyones situation is different but I ' m just offering this up for consideration
ninnin
Senior Member
Joined: 05 Oct 2004
Posts: 1143
Locale: Australia
Fuse Jan 05, 2005 7: 51 am    Post subject:
If you don ' t have a metabolic resistance problem and were neatly eating too much then you didn ' t need Atkins to lose weight. I was on every diet there was from weight watchers to jenny craig. The last diet I tried was lite n easy where the meals were delivered to your door and were fairly tasty consisting of cereal skim milk fruit for brekky, wholegrain roll and salad for lunch and a frozen lean cuisine type meal for dinner. Snacks were muesli cookies or roasted chickpeas. I was so sick... My weight loss had stalled for years not months. The doctor was about to double my diabetes medication.
Believe me when I say that I feel more energetic and clear in mind on Atkins. My fasting insulin has gone from 93 to 12 normal is >10. I ' ve stopped needing and stopped taking the anti depressant medication... who knew Atkins cured post traumatic stress disorder??? I ' ve lost 8kg and that ' s a miracle for me. I ' m not ravenous all the time. I don ' t need to sleep during the day. I ' ve become a normal generative woman ( I won ' t go into details [ / icon_razz. gif] ) My acne has unbolted.
If you can lose weight by aptly cutting your intake then good for you but I still think Atkins is the healthiest eating plan that is known and I don ' t feel like I ' m doing ANYTHING to myself as I have no crave to eat high Battler foods. You should try being on a low fat / calorie controlled diet for 20 years... then you ' ll understand deprivation... Atkins is gourmet delight for me.
bluehex
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Dec 2003
Posts: 2663
Site: Warsaw, Poland
Leash Jan 05, 2005 8: 32 am    Post subject:
Exactly, Ninnin!
Cash, I ' m not saying what you say is wrong - I ' m sure your technic works for you and it ' s great! Best of luck with it. It ' s just that your body is probably overall healthy and doesn ' t need much training to be in shape.
And what do you mean by " starting something logical "? You don ' t find Atkins reasonable? Why? It gives you all you need to conformation your body - protein and fibre, and carbs, too - in controlled amounts. And where did you get the isolated whey protein story??? You are supposed to get your protein from meat. Real meat, not cardboard ground cool with sugar as they feed you in MacDonalds. Protein isolates are but a minor additive to replace something which is potentially harmful, like flour. Some people ( including myself ) don ' t use them at all...
And if you have a sugar / insulin problem, yes, you DO feel dizzy when eating sugary foods. It ' s not caused by being deprived of whey protein isolate, but rather by too much sugar in your blood.... Because that ' s what Atkins is all about. Not about making you eat less / more, not about counting some magic numbers called carbs. The Atkins diet theory is based on regulating blood sugar levels and eliminating insulin spikes. Maybe it would be a good idea for you to re - read the book?
As Ninnin said - Atkins is one of the LEAST depriving diets I know - and I know MANY of them! Try living for months on a diet where your total food intake is 8 oz low - calorie foods a DAY.... Then you really learn to appreciate Atkins.
Just as Ninnin - I find Atkins delightful and satisfying.
Elfez
Senior Member
Joined: 15 Oct 2004
Posts: 267
Longitude: mwahaha
Intermix Jan 05, 2005 10: 29 am    Post subject:
I love Atkins. It ' s a heck of a lot better than nothing but yogurt and bananas for a month, and I actually feel full! Not to mention I love meat hehe.. I see my one friend eating half an apple and saying... " well.. I shouldn ' t eat the rest of that.. " and here I am, eating a big piece of chicken with mayo.. you can ' t tell me that isn ' t great [ / icon_wink. gif]
Susannaj4
Senior Member
Joined: 06 Jun 2003
Posts: 4146
Where: Apopka, Fl
Adhere Jan 05, 2005 12: 49 pm    Post subject:
I tried everything to lose weight. Atkins definitely works for me. But it isn ' t for everyone. I am very happy with it.
Bliss Pirate
Senior Member
Joined: 06 Jan 2004
Posts: 3106
Longitude: St. Paul, MN
Link Jan 05, 2005 5: 38 pm    Post subject:
Well, I didn ' t respond the first 3 times I read your post, but now feel I need to.
First, I do comply that those of us who have a long stall need to examine what we are doing and consider making changes... I disagree that going away from Atkins is a valid change for most of us to make. I think most of us here ( most of us = those with a lot of weight to loose ) have ended up here because eating plans that build in any sententious level of carbs ( say over 75g net carbs / day ) have never been able to acheive or sustain any meaningful wieght loss... have found a WOE that works for us.
Second... I find your post lacking in logic. You ultimately say the plan is nuts and unreasonable, yet credit it with teaching you how to eat and sustain your new weight. Huh? How can it be both?
With Atkins, once you have lost the weight you want to loose, you transition into a individual eating plan that includes healthy fruits, grains, etc. while " avoiding like the annoyance " the carbs that made most of us fat. How is this different then what you are doing now?
I have to guess the only difference is that you don ' t place that you are still " doing " Atkins... just not induction.
I am glad you had success following the plan. I do hope that your current eating plan allows you to reach and Keep your goal weight. I also think you have limited experience and a lack of understanding of the issues faced by many who have significantly different matabolisms then you. Enjoy youth... it lasts for far too short a time.
Evrrdy
Senior Member
Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 1680
Locale: US of A
Melt Jan 05, 2005 8: 24 pm    Post subject:
I guess I would have to see a sample menu to really make a astuteness call on what you are saying.
As Bliss said, it ' s very possible that you are still doing Atkins. The difference? You have learned, as you said, what foods trigger bad behavior, indigent choices and weight gain. This is what Dr. A wanted to exercise us in the first place. It ' s not just how much you eat.. it ' s also what you put into your mouth, and your level of physical movement. * read as, not so much exercise, but just getting off your tail and moving *..
As you are still losing weight, it is very likely that you have found a OWL point or Pre - maintanance level of carbs. Every Body is different and if your body lets you eat 100 g of carbs per day, it ' s mainly because of metabolism and movement. Considering, if I go to OWL I can ' t eat more than 30g of carbs to keep losing weight, and then 40g is about my maintance level. At the same time, I ' m probably a lot smaller, being female and petite, so it makes more sense that I would hurting for a lot less.
Anyways, my point is, if you are not eating the white stuff, rubbish food and sugar, then you are still at last doing Atkins, at one of the more cutting edge stages past Induction,, and in the later stages of OWL atleast..
But again,, as long as it works. right?
BJ
Senior Member
Joined: 05 Dec 2003
Posts: 2605
Stage: The Nice State of West Virginia
Associate Jan 05, 2005 8: 52 pm    Post subject:
I will never go back to a high carb diet.
I feel bum when I eat high carb. In detail, today after eating pasta, bread, potatoes, etc.
And as I ' ve ranted about before, I ' m stunned at the other benefits of a low carb lifestyle. One of the greatest being the loss of seasonal allergies. I am so thrilled not to live with a constant sinus headache.
cash_money
Popular Member
Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 117
Thu Jan 06, 2005 12: 32 am    Post subject:
Bliss:
I guess what I ' m trying to say is I ' m happier now then I was doing Atkins and although I credit it as a great learning experience and great results I question if making it a permenant lifestyle is a good thing.
Like I said in my first post this is my first diet and I understand that everyones situation is very separate but when I read about people struggling for months and years with limited or no loss and not enjoying food as much. I have to shake my head and reverence if it ' s possible they would be better served taking the more standard approach to weight loss. Keeping in mind I ' ve never tried a mean attempt at weight loss.
I ' ve pretty much been overweight as teen and obese as an adult but I ' ve never really identified with people who strugle with weight problems before as I although I was overweight I never really considered it a problem as I was fairly rich in my body and was more interested in computers then girls or sports.
So your right I really don ' t know what I ' m talking about. I just wanted to share with everyone some things that were on my mind.
I also wanted to share my experience after leaving this WOE as conceivably many of the die hards on here have never done before. I was originally very worried that I would spiral out of control and any more start eating the crap that got me here on this board to begin with however I found the change in my diet was residual and the results pretty good and I ' m doing okay.
BJ: My first few carb meals left me feeling a bit shaky but right now I can eat a burger feel fine, Sugar does have a noted effect but it is kind of limited. My experience is the body adjusts really quickly to what it ' s getting.
Evvrdy:
Good question I ' ve never really considered if my diet might still be inline with later stages of Atkins or not, I ' m not really sure, I do make an attempt to avoid clear flour, sugar and filth snacks so it ' s possible but last I checked I ' m not in ketosis.
cash_money
Admitted Member
Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 117
Sat Jan 08, 2005 1: 21 pm    Post subject:
You cant disguise from the truth!
- 1lb
ninnin
Senior Member
Joined: 05 Oct 2004
Posts: 1143
Station: Australia
Sat Jan 08, 2005 7: 40 pm    Post subject:
For alot of us girls, this isn ' t our first diet. It seems to be an unfortunate truth of life that we ' re hormonally challenged [ / icon_sad. gif] It also gets more difficult the older you get. Keep doing what you ' re doing as it ' s working and you ' re feeling good but personally I ' ve already tried everything else under the sun and this is the most weight I ' ve ever been able to lose and it ' s the healthiest I ' ve felt since having babies.
JufromBrazil
Senior Member
Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 789
Situation: Brasil
Sat Jan 08, 2005 7: 47 pm    Post subject:
I subscribe with you, ninnin! [ / icon_smile. gif]
MikeW
Notorious Member
Joined: 25 Mar 2004
Posts: 31
Thu Jan 13, 2005 10: 40 am    Post subject:
Im happy with my current weight and i ' ve moved onto a Maintenance phase, but I do treat myself to the infrequent burger, maybe 2 - 3 times a month, skip the fries and coke. I do cherish to eat a serving of bread a couple times a week. I don ' t ever, under any circumstance eat potatoes. I eat alot of low carb tortilla ' s just because of the fast and quick snacks / meals / deserts that can be made of them on the whisk. Faijita tacos, beef taco ' s, sasuage n tortilla, tortilla n butter, tortilla butter cinniamon splenda, tortilla low carb peanut butter. Etc. I drink diet cola, and i never could give up coffe, not even on induction, I drink it with heavy cream and splenda. I eat low carb ice cream 2 - 3 times a week. I eat low carb ( Carbwell ) cookies, sugar free candies, cashews, peanuts.
I often don ' t get up until 1: 30 pm, and I work from 2 - 10. My work place sells brisket and sasuage, so I boost to jsut eat 8 oz of brisket or sausage for my " Breakfast " with nothing else. Then i ' ll come home and cook a meal or prepare somthing quickly. Typically i ' ll have steak, spinach, and Zuccni ' N tomato.
I ' ve learned alot from atkins, I don ' t have any medical issues like diabeaties, or insulin resistance. If doc Atkins was alive today i ' d give him a big hold. I spot that everyone has a different body and metabolism and some people will have to result the diet much more strict. And finally i ' ll probably tighten up myself, as i could stand to lose a few more pounds.
Regards,
Mike
cash_money
Noted Member
Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 117
Sat Jan 29, 2005 3: 24 pm    Post subject:
Still loosing weight. I ' ve been taking a calcium supplement for a while now and I ' m wondering if it isn ' t fragment me drop the pounds. I found this article that suggests maybe. Is anyone taking calcium?
http: / / www. howtodothings. com / ViewArticle. aspx? id=89eea7e07efe4c8fa99d1807bbe920a5
Maryanne
Senior Member
Joined: 24 Jul 2003
Posts: 822
Situation: charleston, sc
Sun Jan 30, 2005 11: 46 pm    Post subject:
My thoughts on Atkins -
Ive read a lot of diet books and honestly you can learn something from all of them. Dialectics of everything is the key. Eat natural healthy whole foods, avoid excess and exercise.
Low carb is popular and it works more for some people. You cant avoid carbs and cut them out of your diet completely but sugary, filtered debris foods should be eliminated from any diet regardless if it ' s atkins or vegetarian
Pinky
Senior Member
Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Posts: 289
Post: Lexington, KY
Mon Jan 31, 2005 12: 42 am    Post subject:
cash_money,
I am glad you found something that works for you, but you have to accept the detail that Atkins works for people on this site and many others. To be honest I am glad you reciprocal your experience with Atkins and your experience without it but you can ' t expect people on this site to permit with you and chase your new WOE neatly because this site is for people on Atkins. People here made Atkins work for them, sometimes as a last resort, and here you are ultimatum that it doesn ' t work while admitting that you have never tried a " orderly advance ". I am not saying you shouldn ' t post here, just don ' t be so negative [ / icon_confused. gif]
cash_money
Proverbial Member
Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 117
Mon Jan 31, 2005 2: 55 am    Post subject:
Was I being negative?
The root cause of why people come here is because they have a weight problem and are trying to do something about it. I can ' t see how anything I ' ve said lately that is refusing to that end.
I have a exclusive and I would think valuable experience with Atkins as I was able to use Atkins to get me going and learn about dieting and continue to succeed even after the fact despite that many authors on the subject would have you believe that if you go back to eating regular food you will swell up like a immense and have wasted your time.
ninnin
Senior Member
Joined: 05 Oct 2004
Posts: 1143
Location: Australia
Mon Jan 31, 2005 3: 37 am    Post subject:
cash people WILL and DO swell up if they go back to their old way of eating. Remember you were chewing sugar laden tobacco while trying to do Atkins and when you gave up the tobacco and started smoking you ' ve started losing. To tell people they don ' t need to bother with OWL, pre - maintenance and maintenance is not doing them any favours.
bluehex
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Dec 2003
Posts: 2663
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Mon Jan 31, 2005 7: 46 am    Post subject:
Yes, Cash, you ARE being negative. If you re - read your own posts in this thread, you ' ll see that your main advice has been " dump Atkins and do the reasonable ".
Well you see, most people who are on this board have tried " the reasonable " before and it didn ' t work for them - as Pinky said, for many of them Atkins was the last resort, because NOTHING ELSE WORKED.
You are a first - time ( hopefully the ONLY time ) dieter - judging by your body you didn ' t ever need a special metabolic diet like Atkins, all you had to do ( the first time around ) was to eat less and exercise more. Surprise - it works for a lot of people.
Your experience on Atkins is definitely valuable - for you. It is always good to pay attention to what you are eating. But your experience of " hey folks, forget the diet and simply eat in moderation " is something most of us have been through on our own. It ' s not as new and original as you would like it to be. Your recommended approach has been failing me over and over and over since I was eight years old ( yes, I was fat and the school nurse recommended reduced eating and exercise. Followed the diet to a t, exercised till I dropped. Over a two months course other kids lost in average 5 - 7 lbs. I lost 7 oz. ).
The weight of your " discovery " is similar to the weight of discovery that if you put a teabag in a mug with boiling water, it would make tea...
And yes, you are being very negative. Don ' t believe me? Here ' s a few quotes of your own words:
Quote:
I think this is kind of nuts to keep doing this to ourselves, I ' m not convinced when people say that they don ' t feel less energetic, mentaliy acute or happy eating isolated whey protiens while doing atkins
Quote:
I have to shake my head and wonder if it ' s possible they would be better served taking the more traditional approach to weight loss. Keeping in mind I ' ve never tried a traditional attempt at weight loss.
Quote:
You cant hide from the truth!
- 1lb
- what truth? That you lose weight if you diet? Surprise, surprise.
You are welcome to share your experience. Just try not to bash Atkins as you do so. It is, after all, an Atkins support forum.
ninnin
Senior Member
Joined: 05 Oct 2004
Posts: 1143
Location: Australia
Mon Jan 31, 2005 9: 25 am    Post subject:
It does make me crazy when people say What ' s the big deal? Just eat healthy and exercise and you won ' t be fat. What a novel idea! Why didn ' t I think of that??? It ' s really hard not to rip their freaking heads off [ / icon_biggrin. gif]
Bluehex, I was at the doctor ' s at 2. Mum said she doesn ' t eat anything. Doctor says but look at the size of her!! I ' m just an efficient MACHINE, my genes are what ' s saved the human race in times of famine. Yes, this is the rubbish doctor ' s tell me when they say they can ' t help me lose any weight but look on the bright side [ / icon_rolleyes. gif]
Nevermind... 22 pounds down now and falling. I told my gym instructor I wanted to be a size 8. She pretended to cough to cover up the big guffaw that tried to escape but I ' ll show her [ / icon_razz. gif]
Batyaboo
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Posts: 612
Location: Israel
Mon Jan 31, 2005 3: 23 pm    Post subject: go
Go Ninnin!!!
Here here Bluehex, Bliss and Ninnin. I agree.
cash_money
Established Member
Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 117
Tue Feb 01, 2005 12: 41 am    Post subject:
I guess I should apologize, Like I said from the begining I ' ve been having doubts of my own about the diet and more so for certain people that are struggling to maintain it and not having any luck. If I ' ve come off as curt and abrasive it ' s probably because I ' m a looser and don ' t have any friends.
[ / icon_rolleyes. gif]
Pinky
Senior Member
Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Posts: 289
Location: Lexington, KY
Tue Feb 01, 2005 2: 48 pm    Post subject:
Oh Cash, we can be your freiends as long as you don ' t bash our way of eating. [ / icon_twisted. gif]
cash_money
Established Member
Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 117
Thu Feb 03, 2005 11: 06 am    Post subject:
I need your input, my luck so far has been on the condition of avoiding all sugar if possible. I ' m starting to suspect that sugar has been my culprit all along and making me fat all these years. Additionaly if I go too long without getting something to eat I get kind of moody and foggy headed. Does this sound normal to everyone else? Any thoughts?
Megs
Senior Member
Joined: 05 Aug 2004
Posts: 248
Location: UK
Thu Feb 03, 2005 11: 12 am    Post subject:
You ' ve got it!! Sugar is most definately the culprit and avoiding sugar is what atkins is all about. What you need to remember is that some foods do not contain obvious sugars but do convert to sugar in the blood once eaten. Eg. white bread, potatoes. pasta.
As far as dizzyness goes, a quick protein or high fibre bread snack will alleviate that problem. I eat every 2 - 3 hours without fail and I manage to keep those feelings at bay. it just takes a bit of forethought.
cash_money
Established Member
Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 117
Fri Feb 04, 2005 3: 20 am    Post subject:
I seem to be able to get away with eating white bread without any ill effects but sugar definetly does something to me, I get kind of flushed and sick feeling if I eat it. Does anyone know what means?
ninnin
Senior Member
Joined: 05 Oct 2004
Posts: 1143
Location: Australia
Fri Feb 04, 2005 5: 31 am    Post subject:
You may get away with white bread because of what you ' re eating with the white bread. Protein and fat will slow down the sugar rush.
Well what happens with sugar is your blood sugar goes up very quickly, your pancreas goes beserk and produces lots of insulin thinking it must have been asleep while you were eating all that food. Your blood sugar drops because there wasn ' t alot of food just sugar that burned too fast. Flushed sounds like the sugar rush, sick sounds like the sugar low.
If you don ' t like Atkins you might look into a food combining diet. I ' m sure somebody here is following one?
cash_money
Established Member
Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 117
Fri Feb 04, 2005 11: 05 am    Post subject:
Thanks for the responses, What I ' ve described is that normal?
Megs
Senior Member
Joined: 05 Aug 2004
Posts: 248
Location: UK
Fri Feb 04, 2005 9: 40 pm    Post subject:
No it ' s not normal - as such. For most of our lives we can cope with sugar but eventually after years of abuse our bodies just give up. The pancreas, as Ninnin described, just doesn ' t know what to do anymore and overproduces insulin which makes you sick, dizzy and tired. After a while of doing this it just gets worn out and won ' t produce insulin at all - and then my friend, you have diabetes!!
It sounds to me like you have an overproduction going on, but now is the time to stop eating sugar because diabetes is just round the corner. You may even want to get your sugars checked to make sure your ' e not there already. Hope this doesn ' t sound too scary.
If I eat sugar I feel a rush, then almost immediately I feel sick and then several hours of tiredness with cravings to eat more sugar to get the rush again - and around it goes...
I fyou eat carbs ( not sugar tho ) with protein it will slow down this response but it is a matter of personal reactions. Everyone will respond differently.
Hope this helped.
firelady
Senior Member
Joined: 20 Aug 2003
Posts: 1506
Mon Feb 07, 2005 6: 00 pm    Post subject: Hi
Anyone can for a time lose some wieght on nearly any diet. I have been on this WOE for over 18 months ( with a lapse between Thanksgiving and
New Years this year ).
I started with high blood pressure and type 11 diabetes. Before this diet IGot the Hem A1c down to 8. 5 with pills ( it should be below 6 ). I was advised to go on a low fat diet. I did lose 10 pounds initially but my blood pressure went crazy erratic and I was dizzy and sick, I also gained it back when I went off low fat. I started low in June of 2003 at 180 pounds and officially joined this WEB group and Atkins low - Carb July 2003 at 168 pounds. By X - mas 2003 I was 138 pound ( down 40 total ) and my blood pressure was 110 / 58!! Several months after My Hem A1c was 5. 9!! ( also triglycerides dropped from the high 200s to 80 ) and by March I was off all Meds.
I have been various versions of serious on this diet. I have gained back a bit when eating poorly but have always lost when on induction. But that is not the whole or most important part of my story. These holidays were tough for me with family deaths, hospitalizations and my dog killed.
I could not eat well from stress and being at hospitals. Even though I did not gain back much weight my blood pressure went way up as did my blood sugar.
I know that the maintenance version of this diet is best for me ( and likely for most overweight people ). Diabetes and what I have Syndrome X ( high BP + diabetes ) are horrible esp. when you get older. Three weeks after I return to low carb all of my health markers return to normal ( no the stress is still there ). Low carb if done wisely ( some fruit and limiting packaged products ) is very healthful. I realize that some people have other issues that make this diet not the best, but for those with blood sugar problems hang in there.
Sorry for a repeat story for those that know me.
P. S. So many new studies now say that conjugated linoliec acids ( the fats in red meats and dairy ) are healthful for both weight loss and cancer prevention also supposed to be good for wrinkle reduction. Funny I could swear many of my wrinkles disappeared on this diet.
Bliss Pirate
Senior Member
Joined: 06 Jan 2004
Posts: 3106
Location: St. Paul, MN
Tue Feb 08, 2005 5: 15 am    Post subject:
If I go more then about 7 hours without eating ( time varies depending on my level of activity ) I hit a wall.... really hard. My body just shuts down.
I have started to get more in touch with my body. I am finding that there are some things that happen long before I get to the point of crashing. These are in order:
I get cold.
I get cranky.
I get tired.
I get a nasty headache
I get really cold. ( Getting cold was masked during the summer, but I sure notice it now during the winter. )
I have trouble focusing my mind on what I am doing
I have trouble focusing my eyes on what I am doing
I crash and burn - - literally have to stop and rest.
Now at this point, I can eat, but it takes 2 hours before I am feeling ok again. Eating when I first get cold stops the whole process. It does not take much to stop the progression... just a couple ounces of cheese will do the trick, or a salad with some protein in it ( chicken or tuna for example. )
If I don ' t eat and go to bed instead at the end of this... I wake up the next morning with body aches and a " hangover ".... which does slowly go away after I eat something. I generally don ' t do this anymore... if I am in this state, I will at least have some cheese before I go to sleep - - that seems to head off the problem.
Summer896
Established Member
Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 52
Mon Feb 14, 2005 8: 07 pm    Post subject:
Hi... I ' m new but I just wanted to add my $. 02...
Part of your success ( the OP ) right now could be simply because of your age. When I had my first baby, I was 19 years old. I weight 190 lbs. at delivery. I weighed 107 ( no, that ' s not a typo ) four months later. That was on about a 1400 - calorie a day diet.
I had my second child at 35. I weight 190 lbs. at delivery, just like last time. bUt now it ' s NINETEEN months later and I weigh 170.
" Just eat reasonably and exercise " is great advice... for anyone who is:
* 25 years old and under
* someone who has never dieted before, and therefore, has a fairly normal metabolism
* someone who has not developed insulin resistance over the years
* someone who does not live in an industrialized country where fast foods are the norm
* someone who isn ' t as concerned with overall health, as in seeing weight loss on a scale
... but for anyone else... Atkins makes a whole lot of sense. You are even saying yourself that you ' re not eating sugar and your white flour consumption is extremely low; and for the rest, you ' re eating a variety of real, whole foods. Well... that ' s Atkins. The idea behind Atkins, as I see things anyway, is to eat natural foods, stay away from processed ones, and get as much nutritional bang for your carb buck as is possible. I think that ' s very reasonable.
I ' m not trying to knock you. You did a fabulous thing, losing a great deal of weight, and you should be very proud. But I could have said the same things on my first " diet "... and my second... even on my third. After that ( because once you resume old eating habits, the weight can and does creep back on and gets harder to lose each time ) I was no longer able to be that smug. ( And I WAS smug! - - Back in the day. )
Your nutritional approach right now sounds great but I disagree that you ' re " off " Atkins. And I also disagree that Atkins is only to lose weight. Again I plea old age ( I ' m 37 )... the way you feel, at my age, really DOES count as much as how many numbers you see on a scale. And honey, you get more and more sluggish and more and more tired and your blood chemistry numbers get more and more out of whack with every year of processed - food, high - junk - carb eating... no matter how few calories that entails. I don ' t know if I ' ll lose a whole lot right off the bat this time, but I do know I feel 100 % better already and it ' s only Day 2.
Anyway... just my babblings on & on!
cash_money
Established Member
Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 117
Mon Mar 05, 2007 12: 08 pm    Post subject:
Hey I ' m back.. This has to be a record on checking in on a forum. If anyone is interested.. I did okay with my WOE.. I started lifting weights and added some muscle and also added some fat from increasing my calories to match.
I ' m taking a break from the weights and working on loosing the extra lbs. I am 11 days into low carbing again and I ' m down 10lbs.
Starting weight 211lbs
Present weight 200
Target weight ~180
Is anyone still around here? Something I ' ve noticed that is harder this time is there are almost no products or fast foods catering to the lowcarber these days.. What ' s the deal?
katty. weber
Established Member
Joined: 11 Feb 2007
Posts: 94
Tue Mar 06, 2007 3: 36 am    Post subject:
hey. cash
popeyes chicken sells naked chicken fingers.... 2 carbs for 3 strips. i eat them w / ranch or hot sauce. YUMMY.
good. luck
perfectfit
New Member
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 4
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Sun Mar 11, 2007 3: 34 am    Post subject:
Bliss Pirate wrote:
If I go more then about 7 hours without eating ( time varies depending on my level of activity ) I hit a wall.... really hard. My body just shuts down.
I have started to get more in touch with my body. I am finding that there are some things that happen long before I get to the point of crashing. These are in order:
I get cold.
I get cranky.
I get tired.
I get a nasty headache
I get really cold. ( Getting cold was masked during the summer, but I sure notice it now during the winter. )
I have trouble focusing my mind on what I am doing
I have trouble focusing my eyes on what I am doing
I crash and burn - - literally have to stop and rest.
Now at this point, I can eat, but it takes 2 hours before I am feeling ok again. Eating when I first get cold stops the whole process. It does not take much to stop the progression... just a couple ounces of cheese will do the trick, or a salad with some protein in it ( chicken or tuna for example. )
If I don ' t eat and go to bed instead at the end of this... I wake up the next morning with body aches and a " hangover ".... which does slowly go away after I eat something. I generally don ' t do this anymore... if I am in this state, I will at least have some cheese before I go to sleep - - that seems to head off the problem.
I get that cold feeling all the time and the only time I do not feel it is during the heat of the summer. That is the ONLY time I ever feel warm.
Your post is very eye opening to me.10 октября 2008 г.

No comments: