Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

Lettuce & Cucumber
Author
Message
Vancity
New Member
Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 29
Direction: Vancouver, BC
Sun Jun 01, 2008 10: 40 pm    Post subject: Lettuce & Cucumber
During induction... does it really matter how much lettuce and cucumber you consume??
wheresmycoat
Senior Member
Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 326
Sun Jun 01, 2008 10: 49 pm    Post subject:
yes, it does. they do allow for carbs. I believe you are allowed maximum 3 cups.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Spot: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Sun Jun 01, 2008 11: 52 pm    Post subject:
Ok... I went looking and found this on the Atkins website ( recommended reading, btw ).
" Myth: Because it excludes fruits, vegetables and grains, Atkins is deficient in nutrients.
Reality: The Atkins Nutritional Road does not omit fruits, vegetables and grains. The initial Induction phase of Atkins, which people often mistake for the entire program, is the strictest phase, permitting 20 grams of carbohydrates each day. However, those 20 grams come in the form of up to three cups of green leafy salad vegetables each day, and can also introduce highly nutrient - dense, high fiber, vegetables such as broccoli, asparagus, eggplant and spinach.
Tril
Vancity
New Member
Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 29
Locus: Vancouver, BC
Mon Jun 02, 2008 3: 10 pm    Post subject:
I haven ' t been counting carbs with lettuce and cucumber and I lost 13 pounds in the first two weeks... but I may have lost more if I counted I guess. I am sure I didn ' t go over the basic amount but just wanted to make sure.
Thanks [ / icon_surprised. gif] )
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Footing: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Mon Jun 02, 2008 3: 26 pm    Post subject:
What have you been counting then? In induction, 12 - 15 of your 20 grams is supposed to come from veggies ( 3 cups of lettuces or 2 cups lettuce, 1 cup other ok veggie ). That leaves 5 - 8 for other things like Splenda ( 1 per combination ). Are you just ignoring the veggie carbs??
Vancity
New Member
Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 29
Location: Vancouver, BC
Mon Jun 02, 2008 3: 42 pm    Post subject:
No [ / icon_smile. gif] I haven ' t been ignoring the veggie carbs, I count the splenda and all that... the only veggies I eat are lettuce, cucumber and celery and I eat a very limited amount. I actually think its less than 3 cups a day but I haven ' t been counting the exact amount... but I should start to do that because I am thinking eating less than you ' re supposed to isn ' t good either.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Mon Jun 02, 2008 4: 14 pm    Post subject:
Whew! [ / icon_smile. gif] It wouldn ' t hurt to measure your veggies for a day or two... just to make sure you ' re eating all that you ' re allowed to! Too much could be as bad as not enough.
Tril
bluehex
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Dec 2003
Posts: 2663
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Wed Jun 04, 2008 7: 28 am    Post subject:
Not in case of lettuce, celery and cucumber, really... I mean, all three are so negligeable in carbs, calories and pretty much anything else, that going over the limit is not going to do any harm... Unless, of course, you are allergic to either of them.
A much more important thing is to get all the vegs that are required - we need fiber! So it ' s definitely better to go over rather than under the 3 cups.
Vancity
New Member
Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 29
Location: Vancouver, BC
Thu Jun 05, 2008 3: 30 pm    Post subject:
Bluehex... thats what I was thinking... until I read all the posts.. I always thought and still kind of do think that Lettuce and cucumber won ' t do any harm if you go over the 3 cup limit... but I am still not sure... [ / icon_sad. gif]

No comments: