Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

Luncheon Meats... OK for me. How about you?
Author
Message
Big_Jersey_Guy
New Member
Joined: 05 Impair 2008
Posts: 2
Hitch on Wreck 05, 2008 3: 34 pm    Post subject: Luncheon Meats... OK for me. How about you?
I have heard it said that it ' s best to avoid luncheon meats such as ham, turkey breast etc... because of their high salt intake and maybe some other reason too...
I have no problems with them whatsoever. Now... positively, I am a big guy ( 285 + ) so maybe I can get away with it to some degree. I have no problem sticking to my 20 gram or less carbo program. I much eat about 1500 calories per day on average.
Now... when I wasn ' t dieting I would eat about 3500 - 4000 calories and MOST of them would come from garbage food with all kinds of sugar. So.. even though I allow myself luncheon meats and cheeses... I guess my body responds favorably.
I know everyone is different, but how are you guys with luncheon meats and cheeses? I couldn ' t do without them myself.
Thanks in advance
~ david ~
DJJayito
Celebrated Member
Joined: 24 Jan 2008
Posts: 106
Setting: Florida
Lump together Mar 05, 2008 5: 40 pm    Post subject:
I find that if you buy REAL lunch meats like Boar ' s Head you are more than ok. It ' s the fillers in the spurious brands that would cause issues.
desertbitch
Senior Member
Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 367
Locus: High Desert, CA.
Sat Scar 08, 2008 12: 58 am    Post subject:
I bought some ham from my local sausage prime mover. It tasted like pure sugar.
i have found some ham that doesnt have any sugar and I eat it almost daily.
karenjs
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 544
Location: San Jose
Mon Mar 10, 2008 4: 21 am    Post subject:
Dr. Atkins cautions against luncheon meats because of nitrates. They are used to preserve deli meats like ham, hot dogs, bologne, ect. Nitrates are thought to be carcinogens ( cause cancer ).
I get uncured hot dogs, but you have to be careful to use them sooner than you would regular hot dogs, and you have to be sure to keep them refrigerated.
Also, watch out for honey - cured ham and honey - roasted turkey breast. They actually have a sugar solution injected into them as they cook.
Big_Jersey_Guy
New Member
Joined: 05 Mar 2008
Posts: 2
Tue Mar 11, 2008 3: 54 am    Post subject:
Thanks for the replies. I don ' t really worry too much about the small amounts of sugar injected into the meats as they cook. I would be hopeful that the carbohydrate content listed on the label is accurate, or at least in the " ballpark ". As long as my total is no more than 20 - 25 grams a day, weight - loss continues for me.
Thank You
~ david ~
SugarFreeSheila
New Member
Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Posts: 4
Location: Dallas
Thu Mar 27, 2008 3: 21 pm    Post subject:
I stick with the low - sodium options of preservative - free Boar ' s Head. Just last night before bed, I had a few slices each of turkey and Baby Swiss, rolled up & dipped in mayo sweetened with a packet of Splenda so that it tastes like Miracle Whip. Hit the spot! [ / icon_smile. gif]
JCFAST66
New Member
Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Posts: 29
Location: East Central Iowa
Sat Mar 29, 2008 3: 36 am    Post subject:
David, In the past I have used lunch meat for a quick breakfast or a snack. I buy the little 2 oz. packages of deli meat ( Buddig ) they have 90 - 100 calories per pack. I usually eat 2 packages of the turkey for breakfast, this is 180 calories and 4 grams of carbs. Hits the spot if your in a hurry and best of all the cost 59 cents per pack. JC

No comments: