Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 13, 2008

New member introduction, on day 6
Author
Message
chicago. cyclist
New Member
Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Posts: 16
Latitude: Chicago
Sat Aug 02, 2008 4: 35 pm    Post subject: New member introduction, on day 6
Hi,
I ' m Chris from Chicago. I ' m a entertainer, writer, and am industrious as a cycling advocate. ( Yes, an overweight bicycling enthusiast... it wasn ' t always so... )
I am a 5 ' 11 " male of relatively large / firm frame, and my starting weight was 240. My ultimate goal is 185, though I will be thrilled to reach 200.
I am on day 6 of induction. But actually, I started induction two weeks ago, then four days into it ( and after losing 7 lbs! ), a friend from out of field came visiting and I totally caved for the weekend, eating anything and everything. By last Sunday, the scale was back up the 7lbs. But instead of beating myself up over it, on Monday I got right back on track.
A complicating circumstance for me is that I have hypothyroid disease, which makes some people drastically resistant to weight loss. I gained about 40lbs in the last two years because of inadequate thyroid treatment and crushing fatigue. But in June I started a new medicine that seems to be working better, I have plenty of energy again, and so I thought I ' d make a real labor at weight loss.
I ' ve attempted low - carb before, but never has it worked this well! Maybe it ' s the thyroid treatment that ' s making the difference this time, but the weight is sizzling off - - and quick. I ' m down 14 lbs in just 6 days! I know that a good chunk of that is likely water weight ( low thyroid folks have water retention problems and I ' ve noticed low - carb seems to have a nice diuretic effect ).
Also, a couple of those days I had such suppressed appetite that I probably didn ' t eat enough. I ' ve never had appetite suppression like this before without being under the influence of a drug! I ' m trying to follow the advice I ' ve read to make sure I go no more than 6 hours without food.
I know this speedy weight loss will likely NOT continue, so I ' m bracing myself for the coming slow down. In preparation, today I began an exercise program of alternate jogging / walking. I have to take it really slow because I ' m in terrible shape now - - I could only do a mile before pooping out - - and I used to run marathons! Ugh!
Anyhow, just wanted to tell my story, hoping getting online with this will inspire me to continue. I ' ve been reading the posts here all week and really enjoying the personalities I find here - - very inspiring.
- - Chris
Rooley
Senior Member
Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 365
Location: England UK
Sat Aug 02, 2008 11: 41 pm    Post subject:
Hey Chris, welcome, sounds like you are committed to this WOE and are motivated, good on you!
happyginny
Established Member
Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 49
Location: PA
Sun Aug 03, 2008 4: 11 pm    Post subject: thyroid
Hi Chris...
I actually had my thyroid removed a few years ago and I know exactly what you mean. Please make sure you stay in touch with your dr... blood should be tested frequently to make sure you are on the proper dosage of meds.
When I first joined Atkins, my levels were evidently too low. They were adjusted and I could not believe the difference. Pounds sliding off and energy going thru the roof.
Hope this is a succesfull journey for you.

No comments: