Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

Do you weigh every day????
Author
Message
kellyjane
Accepted Member
Joined: 30 May 2008
Posts: 64
Where: England
Sat Jun 14, 2008 6: 59 pm    Post subject: Do you weigh every day????
Today it says I am heavier than Monday, I have done nothing wrong at all this week no more cream etc..... whats going on, will it right its self by Monday??? everyone else seems to weigh less at daily intervals why don ' t I, I can ' t understand it [ / icon_sad. gif] [ / icon_sad. gif] [ / icon_sad. gif] [ / icon_sad. gif] [ / icon_sad. gif] [ / icon_sad. gif] seems I am fighting a losing battle at the mo................. really fed up [ / icon_cry. gif] [ / icon_cry. gif] [ / icon_cry. gif] [ / icon_cry. gif] [ / icon_cry. gif] [ / icon_cry. gif] [ / icon_cry. gif] [ / icon_cry. gif] [ / icon_cry. gif] [ / icon_cry. gif] [ / icon_cry. gif]
Shall I buy some ' water tablets ' to see if its water retention, please help.... ANY advise would be appreciated, thanks in advance Kelly
bluehex
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Dec 2003
Posts: 2663
Situation: Warsaw, Poland
Sat Jun 14, 2008 8: 08 pm    Post subject:
I would recommend against water tablets ( I presume you mean diuretics ). This diet in itself has a diuretic effect, because you are eating a lot of protein, and further diuretic may in detail cause a rebound effect and increased water retention. ( know that from my own experience ).
Your weight may hesitate throughout the day and week for many reasons, one of them being your T. O. M. Some women gain as much as six pounds in the week before TOM, but it all flushes out later. Another possible reason is the actuality, that as you burn fat, your adipose cells are temporarily filled with water, which is MUCH heavier than fat. It ' s flushed out later, the effect known here under the affectionate name of " Whoosh Fairy ". There are many more reasons why the scale is the worst possible way to track your progress.
If you are losing steadily, a daily weigh - in may be very motivating. But when the scale speaks against you, just stick it in the closet. Eat right for a month or so, and only then then weigh again. Or even better, get a pair of jeans one full size too small and try them on from time to time. Much more reliable than the scale. After all, climactically, do you want to be lighter, or do you want to be smaller?
If you are retaining water, paradoxically, increasing water intake repeatedly helps with this problem. We are supposed to drink at least 2 litres of water ( as opposed to liquids ), but some people need more. I need at least 3 litres for things to even start moving, mismated my body holds on to water as if I were living in Atacama scorched...
Or maybe you are eating something that doesn ' t sign with you? Many people report stalls from low - carb sweets. Some are sensitive to caffeine. Maybe alergic to some food you are eating?
Anyway, there is a great article in the FAQs, " Why the scale lies ". Read it, it ' s really good information. You can find it here: http: / / lowcarbsite. com / forum / viewtopic. php? t=3897
kellyjane
Established Member
Joined: 30 May 2008
Posts: 64
Location: England
Sat Jun 14, 2008 8: 44 pm    Post subject:
Thanks bluehex,
I ' ve read it and I do agree.............. I ' ll just have to keep on truckin ' LOL
......... and see what Mondays wi brings [ / icon_rolleyes. gif]
Kelly [ / icon_biggrin. gif]
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Sat Jun 14, 2008 8: 53 pm    Post subject:
Kelly, I weigh every day. It ' s just one tool I use... just not the ONLY tool I use... to determine my progress. If you like to weigh more often ( or simply can ' t RESIST weighing often ) it might help you to keep a record of your weight - ins. Graph your weights over at least a month and see the general trend. As long as it ' s generally a downward trend, you ' re doing great. The key, though, is to do it LONG term... the longer the better. That way the little " blips " are put into perspective. Weight loss is not linear... nor predictable. You ' re going to fluctuate. We all do.
Hang in there, try to keep the scale in perspective and not let one " blip " spoil everything. You ' re doing so well.
Tril
vanessa
Established Member
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 150
Location: San Francisco, California
Sat Jun 14, 2008 10: 33 pm    Post subject:
I try to weigh myself everyday. Except when I ' m close to TOM or on TOM because I am one of those people that get so bloated and literally gain up to 5 pounds during that time.
smerbear
Senior Member
Joined: 09 Dec 2007
Posts: 237
Location: North Carolina
Sun Jun 15, 2008 2: 05 pm    Post subject:
I weigh myself every day too. I am not sure it is a good thing for me but I use it to keep me on track.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Sun Jun 15, 2008 6: 33 pm    Post subject:
smerbear wrote:
I weigh myself every day too. I am not sure it is a good thing for me but I use it to keep me on track.
See... that ' s the difference. It keeps you on track. For some people, if it ' s " bad " it throws them off track and if it ' s " good " it gives them license to overeat. Knowing yourself and your inner response to the numbers is what should determine how often you step on a scale. If it keeps you on track, do it. If it messes with your head, don ' t. LOL
Tril
Caoimhe
Senior Member
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 226
Location: Dublin, Republic of Ireland
Sun Jun 15, 2008 7: 12 pm    Post subject:
I weigh myself everyday, but I ' m trying to start weighing myself weekly... I ' m like a hardened smoker who has given up nicotine! Lol! [ / icon_lol. gif]
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Sun Jun 15, 2008 7: 51 pm    Post subject:
One of the reasons I weigh every day is the fear of " unknown " weight gain. The times I have lost control and gained weight back always coincided with not getting weighed on a daily basis. For me, it keeps me in line and out of denial. Denial is a BAD place to be... [ / icon_wink. gif]
Marinewifeandmom
Established Member
Joined: 11 Apr 2008
Posts: 138
Location: Camp Lejeune, NC
Tue Jun 17, 2008 12: 50 am    Post subject:
I, too, am victim to the dreaded daily scale! Its like once you start you can ' t stop lol. But I use it also to keep me in check with how I ' m doing but do not accept it as the only way that shows I ' m losing weight - I tend to be one who loses more inches than lbs and i ' m fine with that: p

No comments: