Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

Diet Soda!!
Author
Message
Vancity
New Member
Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 29
Location: Vancouver, BC
Mon Jun 02, 2008 3: 36 pm    Post subject: Diet Soda!!
Hi everyone!!
I know aspartame is a no - no on the diet buttttt I found a diet soda that is like honey with Sucralose ( Splenda ) and it tastes exactly like diet coke.
0g CARBS 0g CALORIES
Hope this helps. [ / icon_smile. gif]
sableshay
New Member
Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 27
Where: missouri
Mon Jun 02, 2008 3: 59 pm    Post subject:
yes they have a diet coke syrupy with splenda and diet rite is also and my new favorite is carbonated flavored water has zero carbs zero sugar zero cals good stuff, just make sure you still drink your water
kellyjane
Accepted Member
Joined: 30 May 2008
Posts: 64
Situation: England
Mon Jun 02, 2008 8: 00 pm    Post subject:
I have just looked on my bottle of diet coke and it says 0g of carbs, maybe ours is different in the UK?? I know when I am abroad the coke light / diet tastes completelydifferent!! ( although it does mention aspartamine in ingredients ) so can I not have it?
Kelly [ / icon_biggrin. gif] [ / icon_confused. gif]
Vancity
New Member
Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 29
Where: Vancouver, BC
Mon Jun 02, 2008 8: 21 pm    Post subject: diet coke
Hi kellyjane
I was actually chuging down a can of diet coke every other day until just a few days ago. It does say 0g CARBS in a diet coke but its luscious with aspartame which is no good on the atkins diet.
kellyjane
Notorious Member
Joined: 30 May 2008
Posts: 64
Latitude: England
Tue Jun 03, 2008 9: 30 am    Post subject:
ooooooooooo thanks * * * * runs and tips diet coke down sink * * * * LOL
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Situation: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Jun 03, 2008 10: 40 am    Post subject:
Look in your store for a brand called Waist Witness. It ' s toothsome with Splenda. Funny thing... it ' s the " loud " kind. LOL I love it... comes in great flavors like orange, cola, root beer, cream soda, black roseate and citrus and more. Sucralose is the only sweetener in it. [ / icon_smile. gif]
HEY! I looked and they have a website... and you can see where to buy it.
http: / / www. waist - bystander. com /
Tril
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Stage: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Jun 03, 2008 10: 43 am    Post subject:
Ok... just read part of that website... they also use acesulfame potassium ( ace - K ) with the splenda for sweetener. Is it still acceptable?
Here is what it says:
" Beginning in 2000, Waist Watcher was one of the first diet soft drinks reformulated to take advantage of a combination of the new artificial sweeteners sucralose ( Splenda® ) and acesulfame potassium ( ace - K ).
Sucralose and ace - K, both approved by the FDA in 1998 also offer greatly improved shelf life. Unlike aspartame, these artificial sweeteners will not break down and are not heat sensitive. Already the sweetener choice of millions, sucralose is now recognized by Atkins and other low carb diet plans. "
kellyjane
Known Member
Joined: 30 May 2008
Posts: 64
Bearings: England
Tue Jun 03, 2008 3: 38 pm    Post subject:
Hiya Tril,
Just had a little look on google and can ' t seem to find it in England [ / icon_sad. gif] but I ' m sure there will something at on of our healthstores, although I suppose water is better than anything else really
Kelly
Caoimhe
Senior Member
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 226
Latitude: Dublin, Republic of Ireland
Tue Jun 03, 2008 4: 28 pm    Post subject:
In Ireland we have a drink called Diet Club Orange that is candied with sucralose and ace - k. I haven ' t come across anyone else here from Eire, but just in case.
Caoimhe
Senior Member
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 226
Station: Dublin, Republic of Ireland
Slap on Jun 04, 2008 10: 15 pm    Post subject:
Oh and Danone have a new product called Volvic Touch of Fruit which is also flavoured with sucralose and ace - k. The strawberry one is very nice, and its a bit of a change.
emomoney
Common Member
Joined: 04 Apr 2008
Posts: 59
Thu Jun 05, 2008 2: 13 pm    Post subject:
kellyjane wrote:
I have just looked on my bottle of diet coke and it says 0g of carbs, maybe ours is different in the UK?? I know when I am abroad the coke light / diet tastes completelydifferent!! ( although it does mention aspartamine in ingredients ) so can I not have it?
Kelly [ / icon_biggrin. gif] [ / icon_confused. gif]
All diet coke is 0g carbs, but the kicker is the aspartame.
daffodyllady
Established Member
Joined: 10 May 2008
Posts: 61
Location: virginia
Fri Jun 06, 2008 9: 39 pm    Post subject:
oooo, I looove Waist Watchers drinks! Only, since I am off the carbs, they seem so much sweeter than they did before. I actually prefer them watered down about half.
batlou
Established Member
Joined: 02 Apr 2008
Posts: 124
Wed Jun 11, 2008 5: 31 pm    Post subject:
EEEKKK [ / icon_eek. gif] I just looked at a can of the Big K Citrus Drops ( Mountain Dew knockoff ) and they are sweetened with aspertame. I have been drinking these since the beginning over 3 months ago.
I read the book but I don ' t recall the part about aspertame. Did my sub - concious somehow muck up the information to protect my fragile psyche? Why, Why Why?
kirstyb1
Established Member
Joined: 19 May 2008
Posts: 83
Location: Glasgow
Wed Jun 11, 2008 5: 58 pm    Post subject:
oh dear, i have been drinking diet coke as well, cos it was 0g of carbs
arghhhhhhhhhh!!
xx
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Wed Jun 11, 2008 6: 22 pm    Post subject:
Dr Atkins said to " treat aspartame with caution " and " avoid aspartame whenever possible ". He said this ( page 189 of my NDR book ), " Avoid aspartame. Although the cause is as yet unknown, clinical observations show that certain individuals find weight loss slows with excessive intake of aspartame, the artificial sweetener sold as NutraSweet and Equal. "
So it ' s NOT horrible if you use it. It won ' t necessary slow or stall your weight loss. It won ' t kick you out of ketosis. It ' s a cautionary measure because someone, somewhere, at some time ate an EXCESSIVE amount of it and it slowed weight loss. I don ' t eat an excessive amount of any artificial sweetener, so I ' m not going to worry about a little bit of it being aspartame... I like Diet Coke. I will continue to have it when I ' m out because it ' s certainly a LOT better than any of the other drink choices ( except water, which I get WITH my DC! ) on the menu.
So don ' t freak out... you ' re all still ok! [ / icon_smile. gif]
Tril
edited for typos
Last edited by Tril on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7: 12 pm; edited 2 times in total
kirstyb1
Established Member
Joined: 19 May 2008
Posts: 83
Location: Glasgow
Wed Jun 11, 2008 6: 52 pm    Post subject:
thanks tril [ / icon_biggrin. gif]
made me feel better about my few drinks of diet coke, i mean i make sure i have drank my water, so its nice to ocassionally reward yourself
x
Noor
Established Member
Joined: 02 Jun 2008
Posts: 80
Fri Jun 13, 2008 9: 02 am    Post subject:
I 100 % agree with Tril, I drink diet coke every other day and sometimes everyday, It makes me feel full, and reduces my nausea, and I really like its taste, and I ' m still losing.. I didn ' t have any for the first few days, and I can ' t see the difference when I started drinking it!
volvic water with a touch of fruit is yummy Christine, I like it also because it counts towards you water intake [ / icon_smile. gif]
kirstyb1
Established Member
Joined: 19 May 2008
Posts: 83
Location: Glasgow
Fri Jun 13, 2008 9: 09 am    Post subject:
i had a bottle of the volvic yesterday, i really needed it to take the bland taste of water away
it was great
x
soontobemisses
New Member
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Posts: 7
Location: Marquette, MI
Fri Jun 13, 2008 5: 33 pm    Post subject:
Ok so totally new at this... I had no idea that we couldn ' t have aspartame. Does anyone know why or where I can read up on this so I can do this more educated? Thank you!
Caoimhe
Senior Member
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 226
Location: Dublin, Republic of Ireland
Fri Jun 13, 2008 5: 50 pm    Post subject:
The book has a small section on it, 128 - 129. Aspartame is a no no because it can cause stalls, but also its unsafe. It is known to be carcinogenic. In small doses it should do no harm. I have it occasionally but try to have sucralose when possible because its safer. A google search will probably bring up some information.
I ' m glad ye liked the volvic! [ / icon_wink. gif]
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Fri Jun 13, 2008 8: 57 pm    Post subject:
Soontobe...
Pick up a copy of Akins ' book and read it. I found mine at Goodwill for $. 99. Even cheaper, call your local library and see if they have it or could get it for you. Then read it cover to cover. The Atkins ' website is ok... it pushes their products HARD, just try to ignore the sales pitch if you can. It ' s under construction so not all of the info is available, but the Induction stuff is there. Read the FAQ on this site!!! Just read everything you can get your hands on... there ' s a lot more to it than just counting the carbs you eat.
Tril

No comments: