Atkins Diet: Nutrition & Healthy Food are key components in the Atkins Weight Loss Programs, resulting in natural weight loss through a customized weight.Info on the Atkins Diet to give you a basic understanding about how the diet works, including descriptions of the Atkins phases, food lists, pros and cons.Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet resources for all low carb diet plans: Research, recipes, information, support forums, tools and tips for all low carb

Atkins Diet News

Oct 14, 2008

Does This Sound Ok
Author
Message
kirstyb1
Recognized Member
Joined: 19 May 2008
Posts: 83
Latitude: Glasgow
Tue Jun 10, 2008 8: 36 am    Post subject: Does This Sound Ok
Well i count all the carbs in my veg, but not any meat carbs.
Because i dont actually eat any meat carbs apart from 2 carbs for sausages some days
is this ok? i know im not going over 20
mouth music
Noor
Hackneyed Member
Joined: 02 Jun 2008
Posts: 80
Tue Jun 10, 2008 9: 15 am    Post subject:
neither do I Kirsty. I do not count any carbs in lean meat. That ' s what the carb counter says; 0. 0 carb!
smerbear
Senior Member
Joined: 09 Dec 2007
Posts: 237
Setting: North Carolina
Tue Jun 10, 2008 11: 09 am    Post subject:
If it is real meat ( chicken, steak, fish, pork, etc ) then it won ' t have carbs. It it is cured or meat by products then it will have carbs. Deli meats, hotdogs, sausage, some bacon, kelbasa, etc has carbs in it and those need to be counted.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Longitude: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Jun 10, 2008 11: 43 am    Post subject:
Do you guys count eggs?
Noor
Confessed Member
Joined: 02 Jun 2008
Posts: 80
Tue Jun 10, 2008 12: 35 pm    Post subject:
oh ya.. I do
0. 6 each
kirstyb1
Plain Member
Joined: 19 May 2008
Posts: 83
Direction: Glasgow
Tue Jun 10, 2008 3: 33 pm    Post subject:
i count eggs all the time, also its only pure meat i eat, if not i count it as per the pack and weight i have used
mush [ / icon_biggrin. gif]
smerbear
Senior Member
Joined: 09 Dec 2007
Posts: 237
Spot: North Carolina
Tue Jun 10, 2008 4: 12 pm    Post subject:
Sounds like you are doing well then. [ / icon_smile. gif] Keep it up!
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Jun 10, 2008 7: 40 pm    Post subject:
Ok... I asked the question about eggs because I didn ' t remember ever reading to count them. I just spent some time on the Atkins site and they now have the P1 acceptable foods list posted ( it ' s a PDF file ). On that it says that eggs are " acceptable "... like the meats listed.
All Eggs including:
• Deviled
• Fried
• Hard - boiled
• Omelets
• Poached
• Scrambled
• Soft - boiled
Later on, below the list of acceptable veggies and their carb count, is a section called Salad Garnishes. In this list, it has this:
• Diced hard - boiled egg 1 egg 0. 0 carbs
Based on this info, I don ' t believe we are REQUIRED to count the minimal carbs in eggs as part of our daily carb limit.
There are other protein limits mentioned... like these:
* Oysters and mussels are higher in carbs so limit to about 4 ounces per day.
* Be aware of purified meat and that some may be cured wish ( sic ) sugar, which will add to the carbohydrate count. Also head clear of meats with added nitrates.
But about eggs, it just says:
" Eggs are one of score ' s most nutritious creations. That's why eggs are a staple breakfast in the Atkins Nutritional Reaching. Feel free to get creative with your eggs, add mushrooms and onions, or even green pepper. Top them off with feta cheese or add spices like basil and oregano. "
No mention at all of counting any carbs in eggs.
So I ' m not going to. [ / icon_smile. gif]
kirstyb1
Down pat Member
Joined: 19 May 2008
Posts: 83
Seat: Glasgow
Tue Jun 10, 2008 7: 45 pm    Post subject:
thats fab, i love eggs
endearment
Noor
Received Member
Joined: 02 Jun 2008
Posts: 80
Tue Jun 10, 2008 8: 28 pm    Post subject:
Tril this will really make a difference, coz I have 3 or 4 eggs a day and I always count it as 2. 4g!
That ' s really good
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Station: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Jun 10, 2008 9: 05 pm    Post subject:
That ' s how I felt... when you guys said you counted them, I was like, " Nooooooooooooooooo!!! " LOL That ' s more veggies I can eat, as far as I ' m concerned. [ / icon_smile. gif]
Tril
bluehex
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Dec 2003
Posts: 2663
Bearings: Warsaw, Poland
Tue Jun 10, 2008 9: 30 pm    Post subject:
We are required to count carbs in everything we eat.
Atkins site has recently been " revamped " to look prettier and most of the good information which used to be there has been removed. These days, everything on their site is " spicy " and easy and shiny, but science has gone down the withdraw. Word " steamy " is used in every second sentence, but word " ketosis " isn ' t mentioned even once.
According to US Department of Agriculture ( http: / / www. nal. usda. gov / fnic / cgi - bin / nut_search. pl ), one large egg ( defined as 50 g ), raw, has 0. 77 g carbohydrate. You may gather to ignore it, of course. I exalt to round it up to 1, just to be on the safe side.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Locale: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Tue Jun 10, 2008 11: 45 pm    Post subject:
While I side with with you about the website being commercialized, the infomation quoted for the acceptable foods list in Induction is straight from the New Diet Revolution book, almost word for word. I have the 2002 edition. On page 124 it says,
" ACCEPTABLE FOODS
You may eat liberally:
Then it includes a chart / list of All Fish, including... ( list of acceptable fish ); All Fowl, including...; All Beef, including...; All Shellfish, including...; All Meat, including...; " All EGGS, including: scrambled, fried, poached, soft - boiled, hard - boiled, deviled, omelettes ".
The next catefory of food on the acceptable food list is cheese... and restrictions and carb counts are very clear on cheese. Dr. Atkins included EGGS in his " eat liberally " list with NO mention at all of counting any carbs for them. He does, however, mention that oysters and mussels have more carbs than other shellfish and hence should be limited to no more than 4 oz a day... but still no requirement to COUNT those carbs in oysters and mussels.
I honestly believe that he knew there were trace amounts of carbohydrate in eggs but he did not intend for anyone to have to count them in their daily totals. If he had, he would have said so in his explanation of Induction and how to do it, just like he did with the cheese and cream limits and carb counts.
So I ' m going by the book, and not the website... I will limit my cheese consumption to 3 to 4 oz a day and count each ounce as 1 carb AND I will limit my cream to 2 to 3 TBS a day. But eggs I won ' t count.
Tril
bluehex
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Dec 2003
Posts: 2663
Direction: Warsaw, Poland
Fasten Jun 11, 2008 6: 31 am    Post subject:
Sorry, but I find your reasoning absurd.
We are to eat 20 g carbohydrate a day, no matter where it is found. What do you think, your body will not digest the eggs, because they are not mentioned in some book? The carbohydrate found in eggs is glucose. Just because it was not mentioned by name and street address, it won ' t cease to exist. Just because you ignore it, it won ' t cease to exist. This is not a court case, where you get away by finding a loophole in the contract. Your body will take it and digest it, no matter what you choose to think. Bodies are like that.
I do not presume for one second to tell YOU what to do - your body, your choices, I mean, some people lose just fine eating bars, others lose just fine with " cheat weekends ", I have no problem with what you eat and how, and frankly, that is SO not my business.
Just don ' t give advice to others, based on flawed logic and second - guessing the intentions of a long dead doctor.
Tril
Senior Member
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 1325
Location: ( very ) Northeastern USA
Wed Jun 11, 2008 7: 09 pm    Post subject:
Last time I checked this was an ATKINS forum, not a general LOW CARB DIET forum. The people here follow ATKINS. Long dead or otherwise, it ' s his plan we follow.
" Just don ' t give advice to others, based on flawed logic and second - guessing the intentions of a long dead doctor. "
I didn ' t make this up. I ' m only telling what I read in the BOOK and on the WEBSITE. I gave quotes and I gave page numbers so anyone can easily check it out for themselves. There ' s no ( zero, zip, nada ) second guessing going on... I ' m not interpreting a vague suggestion by Dr. Atkins, I ' m quoting what HE wrote. If people want to pick and choose which rules to follow and which ones not to follow, that ' s certainly everyone ' s perogative. But, that ' s a totally different discussion than the one we ' re having about eggs. This discussion is, in a nutshell, do we have to count the fraction of carbs in eggs according to the rules of the Atkins Diet?
It ' s quite clear that eggs are on the approved foods list with other protein sources like fish, fowl and meat. Are we to count the carbs in lobster ( 2. 2 grams per losbster )? Dark turkey meat ( 0. 3 grams per 2 oz )? Those are on the approved protein list, too....
Check it out yourself. If you need another source, on page 123 of the NDR book:
" 2. Eat liberally of combinations of fat and protein in the form of poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs and red meat, as well as of pure, natural fat in the form of butter, mayonaise, olive oil, safflower, sunflower and other vegetable oil ( preferably expeller - pressed or cold - pressed ). "
Again.. he put eggs in the list of " eat liberally " proteins and fats, no mention of counting the carbs in shellfish, dark poultry meat or eggs.
And please, tell me where I advised anyone to do anything. I used the word " I "... as in what " I " plan to do and what " I " read.
Did anyone else feel I was telling you what to do??? Or did you feel it was a program / plan / Atkins diet discussion? I ' d really like to know.
Tril
smerbear
Senior Member
Joined: 09 Dec 2007
Posts: 237
Location: North Carolina
Wed Jun 11, 2008 8: 01 pm    Post subject:
I always take the suggestions here as friendly advice and do what I please with it. I kind of use that rule of [ / icon_thumright. gif] in my life. Some people have harsher point of views then others or feel they have better information than others. You are given the facts and Dr. Atkin ' s ( and his colleagues ) opinions in his books and on his website. If you are following his program those are the only sources you can truly go by.
All else is just people ' s interpretation of the facts
bluehex
Senior Member
Joined: 03 Dec 2003
Posts: 2663
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Wed Jun 11, 2008 9: 27 pm    Post subject:
I have never questioned your sources, or your ability to read. Posting that quote once would have been more than enough. And even if you didn ' t paste / type it at all, I ' d have believed your word on it. Says " eat liberally ", I get it.
What I don ' t get is why my body would suddenly ignore 2 grams of glucose... ( assuming I ' d eat a 3 egg omelet ). I have nothing to go by on this one but simple logic. Looks like a classic choice between following the spirit or the letter.
Anyway, I guess I ' d better step out of this discussion, as beyond this point it ' s only gonna be a shouting match. Pointless, and won ' t help anyone.
Quote:
Last time I checked this was an ATKINS forum, not a general LOW CARB DIET forum. The people here follow ATKINS.
Actually, this comment was unintentionally sort of funny, because the forum was originally intended as a general low - carb discussion forum and our admin is terribly worrried that we are, to quote his words, " shoving Atkins down people ' s throats ". He is trying to find ways to promote other low - carb diets more. Of course, you couldn ' t have known about it, and my saying this is not a jab at you in any way. Just - a piece of less - known trivia.
wheresmycoat
Senior Member
Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 326
Thu Jun 12, 2008 12: 13 am    Post subject:
I always knew that eggs had some carbs in them and I always counted them in my daily totals ( I rounded up to 1 gram as bluehex does ); however, I have noticed that eating carbs in this particular form, like pure protein and fat, affects my cravings and rate of weight loss FAR LESS than carbs in the form of nuts, avocado, cream, berries and veggies. That is, 8 eggs ( about 5 grams ) would affect me less than 5 grams worth of nuts or cream.
Ladies, I, for one, appreciate both sides of the story you present and enjoyed your discussion ( you are both clearly very bright and articulate ) but it DID get a little nasty and we are all here to help each other - - not to bitch - slap each other. [ / icon_cool. gif] ( save that crap for perez hilton ).

No comments: